1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it really so bad not to have a driver's license?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Necromancer, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I've never held one, and I never will. I've tried driving, but it's scary as all hell to have that much speed and power under my control. I just don't want that kind of responsibility. I don't need it, either. Buses, trains, and bicycles all work perfectly fine. What's so wrong with that? Why do I have to get so much shit because I happen not to enjoy what everybody else enjoys?

2. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing wrong with not wanting a license. Different people are different (imagine that) and what some people enjoy others may not. I know personally, a license is probably the best thing that ever happened to me, but I can understand how you might feel uncomfortable with the responsibility of driving. If you have a decent way of getting around than you really don't need a license or a car, but for those of us in suburbs with no public transport system to school to speak of, a license can save your bacon...

3. animequeen567

I agree with you. There's nothing wrong with not having a license. I don't have a license either and I'm perfectly happy.

4. blond

I don't have one either, but its because i'm kinda scared to drive.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Depends on where you live. Where I'm at it's basically a necessity or else work, school, shopping, entertainment and things like that are impossible. I hate driving too though.

6. sweetgayboy

sweetgayboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    my great grandma who lived for 102 years never did. She lived right in the city.

7. KWDBM

I don't see anything wrong with it. I've never driven; I've attempted studying for the stupid test a couple times and my anxiety just completely overwhelmed me. I wouldn't feel safe actually getting behind the wheel. I have a job on the other side of the (admittedly small) town, and I either get rides with co-workers or get my mom to take me.

8. ThePhoenix

I don't necessarily enjoy driving but am working on getting my license, because of the lack of transportation where Iive so its more of a necessity than want. If you don't want one then I don't see an issue heck one of my great grandmothers never had hers until she decided to get one in her early 60s and my aunt is 40 and doesn't have hers, so its just a preference really.

9. Hexagon

I don't have one, and I have no immediate plans to get one. Don't feel you have to get one, at all. But also make sure you have a way to get around.

10. luckrunningout7

It's perfectly fine, i mean im not really old enough yet, but im worried w/ all the responsibility like gas oil changed, blah blah blah. plus ive never been interested, due 2 no dad or even fathe figure. i can see wat u mean thou, 2 much crap to worry about. although it beats the hell out of sitting on a bus filled w/ a permanent B.O smell... bleh

11. Yosia

I think its fine not to have one! Like you can pretty much still get where you need to and bicycles are exercise too!! ^^

12. Nikky DoUrden

Using public transport means lower chances for accidents and cost less money (the car, licence itself, fuel, maintentnce ..) :grin:

13. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well for me it is bc i wanna
    be on my own

14. Simple Thoughts

Depends on where you live.

If you live in a city, or a place with lots of means for public transportation than it probably won't be a big deal if you don't have a license.

As for me, mine is currently suspended. That coupled with not having a car or job is making it really hard to get anything done. I live in a less populated area filled with backroads. Without a means of travel I've found myself hopelessly stuck -.-'

15. apostrophied

It's not bad per se, but it can be a problem for certain jobs where a car, or at least a license, is required. I don't have either yet (but there's good public transport in my city). I'll have to get it next year for sure, when I start looking for a job.

16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have my driver's license, and I'm not in a hurry to get it. Public transport is quick and easily accessible. Cycling is good too.

17. kem

kem

No one in my immediate family has a licence, and I don't intend to get one either. I'm fine walking, cycling and using public transportation. Plus many of my friends have a licence so they give me a lift every now and then.

18. Jared

It's definitely not a bad thing to not want one, I know a fair number of people who get along just fine without one. Where I grew up though, it was a necessity, high school was 20 miles away, friends lived 10-40 miles away, no public transportation.

I live in a big city now and there is public transit, but it's not very good and in the part of LA I live in, it's slow and unreliable. I enjoy the convenience of having a car. Plus I'm a huge car person and love to drive, so no matter where I live I'll probably always have a car.

19. Ruthven

I don't have a license, but back in 2010 I got a permit and mum would give me lessons. But then that eventually stopped and more time passed and then the permit expired. I'm not too big on driving anyway. I'll be fine on my own feet and using a bicycle (which I'll be getting soon so I can get to a future job).

At first i was thinking of using the bus to get to work, but it takes too long to get anywhere, and it would be uncomfortable cause of my social anxiety (even though i'm fighting it and it will hopefully die at some point). Then I was thinking of using a bike, but thought I couldn't use it in winter cause of ice. But then i found out that you can use a bike even when it's icy, you just gotta use studded tires, and you know just be more careful. So looks like cycling's the best for me, it's faster than the bus and is more empowering cause I'm making my own way to a place and on my own schedule.

20. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No need to have one.

However, you need to make sure you carry some form of official photo ID. Most people use their license for that. But some license issuers will also issue non-driver's ID, if you request it.