1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I went to a public gym today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Alexander69

Usually I work out at my home but I decided to get out and go to a public gym and it was sort of uncomfortable for me at first I'm not used to so many strong tanned sexy guys all at once it was intimidating LOL but I had a good work out I'm trying to get out and socialize with regular people I didn't talk to anyone today it was awkward but the view was very pleasant LOL. It was funny though all the guys looked the same like all so muscular it was like woooooooza lol

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would just tune everyone out and focus on good form and consistency in your routine.

Also, you'll find that "public gyms" are colloquially refered to as "the gym."

3. Hiems

I actually feel insecure going to the gym at school due to the guys and girls that look amazing. And I think that they may look down on me because I'm not exactly up to par with them. It's a silly thing to think about, I know, as most people who go to the gym don't care about their surroundings. Regardless, I avoid it.

Instead, I go to a 24 hr gym at a time where there's usually no one in the late evening. This way, I can focus on getting what I need to get done with zero distractions.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I crossdress at the gym and go to the weightlifting area. Nobody has ever said a word to me that was negative. People behave with class and professionalism there.

Nobody cares what you're doing. That's only something we project on them.

5. Gen

Gen

Personally, I primarily focus on cardio and toning because I prefer to maintain a slimmer build. I'm usually listening to music and lost in thought, but sometimes it's fun to people watch. I actually find the people that attempt to set a standard of "gym intimidation" amusing to watch.

There was actually one time when a guy tried to out run me on the treadmill. I used to think that those were just scenarios that appeared on sitcoms, but he was actually pretty determined. Every time I would increase my speed, he would immediately move to the next level. It eventually got the point when I was at my fastest jog and he was in a sprint. Part of me wanted to lean over and tell him that I was going to be there for near an hour and, by the way his feet were slamming into the belt, he didn't stance a chance; but the other part of me just enjoyed the entertainment.

6. Alexander69

I'm in shape I work out every day but I try to stay thin not muscular ha that's why seeing so many like strong men I was like wow

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh MAN, I can totally relate to that. Whenever I go to run on the treadmill, I'm there to run at least 6.5 miles and be there for an hour. I can sometimes see three or four different people next to me. And I have noticed that the guys who came from weightlifting are more prone to try and match whatever speed I'm at.

And some of the do go faster than me. But they are only there for ten minutes...

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to stay slim. No matter what I eat, I stay slim during school, so I don't use a gym. I hate gyms, so I just walk and do basic exercises in my own home.

On the other hand, many people love gyms and find them great for being sociable and enjoy the atmosphere, though there is a lot of competition where it's not needed.

9. Hiems

Lol true story. My brother is an avid weightlifter. He's a strong guy. But for some reason, he can do intense cardio but only lasts for a few minutes. I can do it at a lighter intensity but survive longer than he can. He just throws in the towel and says "fuck cardio" :lol:

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya, I think it's more important to maintain a balance. For me, strength training isn't about looks or being able to "get pussy." (Other people's sexual organs are not something you obtain.) It's about being powerful enough to stand up for what I believe in by force.

11. Gen

Gen

Exactly!

It is always the guys that made a conscious effort to lift the heaviest weights and make the most noise during their repetitions. Eventually, they find their way to the cardio area and immediately come up to my speed. It's like I'm not going to "race" you, but I'm kind of going to win either way. :wink:

12. C P

C P

This, especially the bolded. I've been small/slim my whole life thus far with next to no effort.

I don't really care for gyms. I'll occasionally get in the mood to do some things at home but otherwise I don't do too much specifically. I'm a HUGE walker and stuff though, so my legs are probably better off than I am aware of.

#12 C P, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  13. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds wonderful.

I used to go to a student gym... Its like heaven there sometimes. Once, I was in the changing rooms all alone, and, out of nowhere, a crowd of good looking students come in and suddenly start undressing all around me... I was actually pretty much fully dressed and ready to go home at that point but, I have to admit, I stayed a while longer to enjoy the show :grin:

14. luckrunningout7

so many hotties : ) : ) : ) : ) : )

15. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm supposed to go to the gym for half an hour every day after rowing, but I always feel really really awkward and out of place there for some reason. Even if no one else is there.

16. Alexander69

It was nice seeing like a bunch of people I had never seen before though I'm not used to being intimidated LOL that's why it felt so weird these people were so confident and I'm just not that confident in myself with it my things still it made me feel I guess vulnerable? But I'll get used to it I can still use my gym at home but I want to socialize more

17. Renge

I always want to go to a gym but I always told that I'm already skinny so I don't need to work out. But, I want to at least have abs -_-

18. robclem21

As someone who works in a gym, I have a couple things to add here:

1) I can guarantee nobody is judging you. Despite the fact that so many guys are in such good shape, I can guarantee they are more obsessed with their own bodies to even notice yours. Second, if someone is out of shape, 99% of people are motivated by that and see it as encouragement that they can do it too. I have never heard someone say that person shouldn't "be here". It is generally a really accepting environment so don't worry about how you look compared to others there.

2) It is tough to be social with guys weightlifting. Generally they are with friends or just too into their workout. Have you considered trying classes? Gym's usually offer a wide variety of classes that you take in groups of 10-40. At first they can be intimidating, but because they are around the same time, you will the same people more consistently (regulars) and may be more comfortable approaching them after seeing them a few times. I know a lot of people who attend my classes become good friends and even make it a point to attend more classes together as "gym buddies".

Congrats on taking this step. Getting into a gym is usually the #1 hardest part for everybody.

19. I don't work out in a public gym, I work out in my school's weight room during weight training class. It's about the same environment as to I would guess what public gyms are like. No one is going to gawk at a physically unfit person.

I have a more mesomorph body type and I usually try to work that out during my weight-training class. I go pretty much all out during class. My classmates would sometimes give me weight-lifting advice to help me out. Just keep an open mind and continue working out at the gym if you want.

20. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with you completely! I dont work at the gym though, but go there often enough. Everyone's there for their own reasons - some want to get fit, some to stay in shape and so on :slight_smile:

No one's really interested in what others are doing, people and especially the fittest ppl at the gym only focus on their own stuff there. Only couple of times some old men have been staring at me, but I dont mind. I always look horrible cause I go there to work out and not to look good, wearing no make up and messy hair. I do like to wear tight clothes as they help me to exercise, but I always get to be on my own.

I used to go to gym because I wanted to get skinny (ok I'm a woman so Im never happy with my body lol), but nowadays it's the highlight of my day and Im so addicted to those endorphines.