1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning Friendships/Support System

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LostLaura, Mar 8, 2014.

1. LostLaura

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been questioning a lot of things lately. More importantly my friendships. Sensei always tells us that if you don't want what's in someone's pockets or between their legs or in their heads then why hang around them. I'm trying to build a healthy support system but sometimes when you take a step back and evaluate things you really start to wonder why are you even friends with someone. It's kind of a bleak thought but I guess it all comes down to looking for the good in people (honestly) not just creating a fantasy of who you want them to be. I guess it also has to do with expectations. Don't expect to have the perfect relationship but rather look for the good in each of your friends and use that as your support system. Taking the good and tolerate the not so good. You may have a friend that is better at shopping or hanging out vs. listening while you might have a friend who's a great listener but doesn't share your same shopping pursuits etc. Any thoughts?

2. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Friendship is a two way thing. I think everyone is different and is to be understood in a different way, and the people who try to do so for you, are friends. Real value-able friendships are generally based on mutual understanding and interest in each other or enjoyment of each other's company. I think looking for the good in friends is a very good thing to do :slight_smile: obviously you can't like or relate to EVERYTHING about a person. Different people like to do different things. But when you're fairly sure that you do like the person (as opposed to hanging out with them just for the hell of it, or because the friendship is convenience-based) then you accept them for who they are, and if they're worth keeping as friends, they will do the same for you.