1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got a guitar!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by girlonfire, Mar 8, 2014.

1. girlonfire

So today a friend of mine gave me her mom's old guitar. Her dad got it for her mom, who never learned, so after several years of no use they're giving it to me to learn.

Here's the thing: I'm going to play left-handed, and this is a right-handed guitar. I have absolutely no clue how to restring it, or even if it needs new strings. I was going to take it to Guitar Center tomorrow, but is this preferable over a local shop? How much would Guitar Center charge? Would they tell me to get new strings just to make more money?

Also, this guitar has no strap, is it worth it to buy one? And I downloaded a free tuner on my phone that works well to tune it and be able to play right-handed just so I could play today, should I get an actual tuner? Would it be better?

Thanks for the help, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to string instruments. (!)

EDIT: and one more thing: any thoughts on a pick? I'm not entirely sure what the whole argument is. Thanks!

#1 girlonfire, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1) First thing, I'm not sure about the Guitar Center Vs local shop. Most places obviously want to make money, so you run the risk of them taking advantage of some one who doesn't know much about guitars. Local shops tend to have better service IMHO because they have to compete with the big chains. But I've never really heard of Guitar Center so idk how if compares to a local shop or how much they charge. Have you tired looking to see if they have a website, or if there is review on them?

2) It depends if you're going to sit or stand while playing. Straps are kinds pointless if you're not standing. I sit, so I've never bothered with a strap.

2)The tuner on your phone should be OK.

3) Picks vs your fingers have different advantages. Try both out and see which feels better for you?

#2 HM03, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  3. girlonfire

Thanks! Guitar Center is a really big American instrument store. Or at least really big in the north east, I'm not sure about the whole country.

4. blond

Well strings should be changed about every two weeks. Also go with a light string gauge like .009 or .010 since you're just starting out, then move up to a thicker gauge if you want.
    You should learn how string your guitar so you don't have to pay anybody.

As for picks, that depends on how pick/strum. If you're like me and you tend to pick/strum hard, you'll break light strings, but if you're softer you should be fine with light strings.
    Also if you're a hard strummer DON'T use thick picks, you might break the G, B, & high E string faster then you would with a lighter pick. When you look at picks see what mm they are.
    I use dunlop .73mm Its thick but kinda light.

5. jargon

Guitar Center isn't particular bad or fantastic. I doubt they'd charge you to just switch the strings around, but the problem is that the nut (the thing with grooves for the guitar strings at the head of the guitar) probably won't accommodate strings very well in the opposite order. They'll probably suggest that you have them take it off and reverse it, or buy a new left-handed nut for the guitar. Once all that's done, I wouldn't worry about changing the strings all that often. I play in bands and do shows and I really only change my strings when I start to notice a serious difference in the quality - usually a matter of several months.

What kind of guitar is this? Acoustic or electric? And what brand? All of that might make a difference as well.