1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell: An Amazing photo essay looks back.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Mar 9, 2014.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I saw this in the New York Times, and it pretty much had me in tears, looking at the photos, and the stories that went along with them. It really drove home the human impact of this policy in ways I'd never quite imagined.

Link:

Out, And Serving

Very haunting, evocative photography...makes me wanna get a nice camera, one day, and try my hand at it.

Anyway, just wondering what people thought of this piece...I thought it was very well done. I see a few Pulitzer Prizes for the Times this year.

#1 HuskyPup, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. justjade

That's crazy. Thanks for posting this. These people were proud to serve their country. I can't believe the military would just kick them out. It's really sad.

3. tscott

Thanks for posting, HuskyPup.

4. DMark69

Thanks for posting. I actually have some insight here. I joined the US Army in 1989. At the time, I did not yet realize myself that I was gay. The policy in 1989 was that "Homosexuality is not compatible with military service". Leadership was free to ask, and require you to answer questions about your sexuality. They were also free to conduct investigations (witch hunts) on anyone they suspected was gay. I had figured out who I was before President Clinton signed DADT, but chose to stay quiet so I could continue to serve. DADT was a start, they could no longer ask you about your sexuality, and the "Don't Persue" which was also part of the law, stopped the witch hunts. It was not an ideal fix, but DADT was actually a step in the right direction.

Myself I chose to stay in the closet until after I left the Army in 2001. Now many I served with know, and are still friends, and thankfully those currently serving no longer have to hide.