1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bicycles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by justjade, Mar 9, 2014.

1. justjade

Does anyone else out there own a bicycle? I just got on at a thrift store for $60. I've been riding it quite a bit since I got it, and I love it. I'm mainly trying to figure out how to personalize it. I wanted to paint it hot pink, but upon further thought, I think that might be a little too flashy for me. I thought about using Rust-Oleum's stone texture spray paint, probably in brown, to make it rust resistant as well as ugly so as to deter thieves but still interesting. I also plan on getting a set of mustache handlebars since the standard mountain bike handlebars hurt put strain on my wrists because of the position of my arms. I also want to install cargo racks and a basket.

So if you have a bike, have you personalized it? Even if you don't have a bicycle, do you have any ideas?

2. Sorceress of Az

I had a bike for a while, had no room in it in the shed and now it's ruined, so I have to buy a new one.

But I like to attach a bunch of stuff to mine, mirrors, speedometers, a horn, flashlights, and a basket.
    I like brown allot so I might get a brown one.

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I have one. It's yellow and I forgot what kind of bike it is.
    I have a blue one,too, but it's a women's bike, so I'd feel awkward using it.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GugsCdLHm-Q&feature=kp[/YOUTUBE]

4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner and I are cyclists about 8 months of each year. It's hilly where we are, so some areas can be quite challenging. Seven years ago, we did a (self-guided) cycling tour of Scotland...can you say "terrain" :eek: ? Would love, love, *love* to go back...would friggin' *love* to find a way to spend a year or more there (and not just because of the cycling, lol).

5. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got a boy's blue raleigh mountain bike. Oh, it belongs to me, I didn't steal it xD Although my religious teacher once had his bicycle stolen, he knew the kid that did it, so he turned up at the kid's house and offered all the bicycle accessories as well. That boy was so ashamed he gave the bicycle back.

I use a bicycle lock to keep it safe. It is usually kept in a locked shed in my garden. Recently I've been thinking about buying a new one. When I get a new one, I probably won't personalise it either. As long as it's in top condition, that's what matters to me.

6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I own a bicycle. It's stored in our garden shed. Its back wheel is bent because of other stuff that was pressing against it, so I can't ride it. Haven't yet had time to have it fixed so until such time, it will have to stay in the garden shed...It's not personalized though. It's medium metallic pink with splashes of purple inbetween

7. apostrophied

Yes, but it's in such bad condition that it's horribly unpleasant to use... I got it from a dumpster, you see. :confused:

8. Nikky DoUrden

lol I thought about their song as well :thumbsup:

I used to have but not anymore.
    My goal is to use bicycle to go to work :icon_bigg

9. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have one, and I use it when wheather allows me to - so from May to September approximately. I dont like public transport that much, cause I hate waiting at the bus stop. So in the summer I use my bike as much as possible. Also saves a lot of money to ride it instead of buying a travel card. And always wearing a helmet :slight_smile:

10. WiggleToe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I got 3. One is basically rotting away. The last time I used it one of the pedals fell off so I stored it but didn't lock it. Just because I'm curious how long it'll take before it gets stolen. On a side note, I put the pedal back on but I know it'll fall off within the fist mile of using it. So that thought entertains me when picturing someone stealing it xP
    The second one is a lime green one. It's old but works well and brings me from A to B.
    The third one is a more 'advanced' one. It's at my parents place because it's too expensive to store at my own place (as many bicycles get stolen here). It's similar to a mountainbike but lighter and with thinner tyres. It's perfect for longer distances.

11. timo

I'm Dutch – of course I have a bicycle :lol:

It's kind of a transporter bike I use all year round for stuff in the city. When it's smoking hot or freezing cold. In burning sun and pouring rain. Only personalisation: I added a fritz kola case I bought in Berlin.

12. kem

kem

I cycle to school everyday, roughly 9km per direction. Went for a cycling trip today — 32km! Toured around a pretty lake, there was a bit of sunshine, light hills, old farmhouses and fields... Headwind limited my speed a bit though.
    I have this:
    [​IMG]

It's a nice bike: good brakes, good size, light and sturdy build. It's not stylish but it does what it's meant to. I wish I had more than 7 gears though. I've been asking a local sports equipment store when they'll get racks I could attach to the end of the bike, but they always reply something like "haven't arrived yet" There's a store selling bikes and related paraphernalia but I'm too embarrassed about my lack of knowledge to actually go there...

[​IMG]
    this bike has been hanging in the bike room of our basement for years. I really like the butterfly handles, and I asked my dad to find out who the owner is; he did, and if we install a seat on it I can use it! My reasons for wanting this bike are purely aesthetic, I think it's beautiful!

13. Foxface

oh my yes

1 mountain bike and 1 racing bike. Admittedly I am a bit too heavy at this moment for the racing bike but when I slim down I am going to get back to it

14. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I currently have a 2007 Schwinn Voyager, but I'm looking at replacing it with either a Cannondale CAADX or a Trek Crossrip.

15. Yosia

I have a nice lightning blue one whoch is really good but i need to fix brakes, last time i used it i couldnt stop and i was really scared >.<

I customized it by putting a new comfy seat on which is cool pattern and it has white pedals not black ^^

16. mermaid

I own a Nishiki hybride bike with seven gears which I use through the whole year, in winter with studded tyres through ice and snow. I do use a helmet all the time to protect my head.
    Here in Sweden it is very common to ride your bicycle almost everywhere.:slight_smile:

17. kem

kem

I should wear a helmet but I always forget ;__;

18. timo

I've never worn a helmet on a bike :/

ALSO. an interesting, funny – and very old but need-to-share – page with photos of cycling in Amsterdam from an American point of view: Amsterdam Bicycles

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm getting a new one half way through this year. My new home's only 13km away from my school, so it's easier to just ride my bike than take multiple buses and walk.

Bikes are really good; you can get places where cars and buses don't take you and it's cheap. In Canberra, the police really get you in trouble if you don't wear a helmet if they catch you, so I stay on the safe side when possible.

20. justjade

When I first got my bike, I took a picture of it and sent it to a bunch of my friends with the lyrics to the chorus of that song. :lol:

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2014 at 10:19 AM ----------

So, guys, lots of awesome responses! I'm glad so many of you have bikes. That makes me really glad. I have to admit, though, that I do not wear a helmet. I don't even own one. I really, really need to get a bike lock. I want to ride it places on my days off. However, I can't ride mine to work. I Googled it, and it would take me about 45 minutes to ride my bike to work, which is not bad. But I have to cross 2 bridges to get to work because, yes, they're seriously that close together, and only one of them has a bike/walking lane thing. If you're caught walking or cycling on the other one, your ass will get arrested. I wish I could cycle to work though.