1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Be social they say!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Meagan, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Meagan

Well, the unfortunate truth is that I'm an introvert. The moment I'm thrown into a room full of people I'm trying to claw my way to the wall so I can get on my phone and text my friends about how much whatever I'm doing sucks. But lately, people have been parading me through the crowds, and its starting to get on my nerves. NO, I DO NOT FEEL LESS LONELY OR UNCOMFORTABLE BECAUSE I HAVE MOVED FROM THE EDGE OF THE ROOM TO SOME RANDOM CROWD OF PEOPLE HALF WAY THROUGH A CONVERSATION I HAVE NO RELATION TO WHAT-SO-EVER. I will say, some are better about involving me into their conversations than others, but still, I need air and alone time! I'm assuming SOMEONE here can relate!

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be like that. I can hang, but I'd still rather not be in a giant crowd of people that I don't know very well with only one person or two I know. It's like being the 17th wheel...

3. Emberblaze

I'm more of a fan of smaller groups of friends. Me and my friends went to homecoming a few months ago, aaaand, it was just too much going on. (And not to mention boring as hell because it's literally nothing but everyone grinding on each other in the middle of the room)

I can understand whatcha mean. Everyone's always saying "it's your senior year, go to prom!"
    And i'm just like, no, I don't care if it's my last year, I don't wanna gooooo too many people DX

Needless to say, I'm planning a lilttle event on prom for me and my friends instead of frickin prom.

4. Sorceress of Az

I have severe social anxiety. It gets worse in large crowds.
    I am also really shy and introverted too.

but I have been trying to overcome my social anxiety.

5. Ciel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm also an Introvert but sometimes I can hang out with my few friend (they were 13) but when it comes to a big crowed and there's a lot of people that are not familiar with me I felt like being dizzy because of the noise and my hand are sweating and sometimes causes me to vomit so I'd rather stay out or just go out on that place.

6. lameo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can relate to you, people say I am socially awkward though. I like to hang out with people, or I like to think I do.. then when I am hanging out in a big room of people, I grab my phone and start playing Tetris. Nothing to be ashamed of! Just how we are.

7. Yosia

Im really bad social too!!

8. Simple Thoughts

Hate large crowds -.-'

I barely do well with small groups of people. I have trouble being expressive. Half the time I have to sit and process everything before I even feel confident enough to speak. I have no idea how to deal with large crowd settings, it's just way too much for me.

9. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can definitely relate.

I hate big crowds. Even smaller crowds. I'm also introverted, and I'm generally the silent observer. I hate when people point out how quiet I am. If I don't WANT to talk, or don't have anything to say then why do I HAVE to talk just for the sake of talking??? :tantrum:

So yeah, you're not the only one who gets annoyed when people force you to socialize

10. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Im socially awkward too! I can so relate to what you all are saying. I can be very talkative online or with a good friend of mine, but not in a group at all. I kinda forget to speak! Im totally following the conversation, and at some point I realise I should probably say something.

I hate speaking in class. Whenever I think I ought to take a part in conversation my heart starts beating super fast and I feel a bit dizzy. So it's easier to remain silent. In my own language I kinda hurry to finnish my sentence if Im speaking, as if I want to get rid of my turn to speak as quickly as possible. Weirdly though, I this only happens in my own language. Im attending a speaking skills course in english, and there it is fine to talk in a small group.

11. EatYourRikkios

^This. Unlike you though, I spent my senior year doing all the big-crowd party stuff. I'm pretty sure Homecoming isn't supposed to universally suck, but it does. Prom was better, though: my school held it at MOSI, so a few friends and I spend the night running around playing with the interactive exhibits. Human fetuses at various stages of development? Earthquake simulator? Static electricity gloves that let me be a fire bender for a few minutes? SO MUCH BETTER than the ridiculousness going on downstairs.

That said, I'm actually not terribly adverse to large-ish social situations. I like going to friends' parties, holding huge Dungeons and Dragons games, going clubbing with a few buddies, that sort of thing. I just want there to be people I know and enjoy being around there, because otherwise I will freak out and cling to the nearest wall all evening. I hate crowds when I don't have a support system around. Maybe it's because I'm a twin, and am used to almost always having a buddy?

12. CharlieChalk

I'd say I'm probably an introvert, and honestly, I hate it. I'd love to be able to carry of conversation and humour off in a large group, instead I just hide in the background.
    I'd love to overcome it and be better, but then another part of me just things that social networks and groups work because some people are loud and others aren't.
    I dunno.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be an introvert in middle/high school, but in college, I realized I was actually a repressed extrovert...sensitive, and liking to be around people. I just hadn't met those people or found those groups within the confines of high school. I needed a bigger city to seek out others with similar interests, and that I could relate to. I think often, part of the difficulty in finding meaningful social interaction is a lack of places to do so, or the confines of places such as a high-school...especially in small towns, it can be pretty suffocating, and ut one off to meeting people. But now, I love to go out, meet people, talk about poetry, art, music, see bands, hang out, go to late night parties. Never thought I would have, though.

14. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. I don't get why people say you have to be socializing to have fun.

I have plenty of fun hanging out with my favourite research journals.

15. lordsnow

I'm the same way, I don't do well in large crowds either and tend to just sit down somewhere and observe the chaos around me. I do much better when there are just a few people around and have a better time as well, which is really what it's all about right?

16. MagicPotato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It's really nice to see there are others like me out there. :icon_bigg I'm a major introvert and I usually cringe at the very thought of parties. I'm terrible at initiating conversations as well so I just end up either hanging around the people I know well or standing near the exit. I usually do better in small groups, though people usually ask me to talk up more. I'm just happy to listen to people than to just blabber about stuff.

17. Niko

I can relate. I'm most comfortable with my group of friends, but anything outside of my little circle where I can talk to people about things I like, then I become anxious and shy. Even when I'm meeting a friend's friend I can't be social with them, I just become all sorts of awkward. And don't get me started on parties, it makes me anxious just thinking about going to one.

18. Khan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I usually feel very excluded when in a large group. Probably because I dress differently than most people and have other interests.
    Though people are always impressed with my ability to hold my liquor, so that's really the only times I feel accepted in crowded social situations and that's not a good thing. I don't want to drink to feel accepted.

I like to go out with small groups, when I have enough opportunity to talk and not get judged.