1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little Bits of Wisdom You've Gathered, Discovered or Been Told During Your Coming Out

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rainbow Girl, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Rainbow Girl

It's pretty much as the title. Things or lessons people have told you or you've learned or read through coming out and discovering your sexuality.

For me:
    - You don't realize how much you have bottled up until you let some of it out
    - We're taught to fear the unknown and sometimes everything is unknown
    - It's okay to be emotional and sometimes a good cry can make things better
    - When I came out to one of my friends who is bi,one of the things he told me was, "It doesn't change who you are as a person. It just makes you stronger."

That's all for now but I'm sure there's more and if I think of them I'll most them. What about you guys?

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Little Bits of Wisdom You've Gathered, Discovered or Been Told During Your Coming

For me:
    - You cannot control what people think, you just have to let things be and go your own way
    - I've discovered that I get a hell of a lot more confident and more interactive when I don't have anything to hide
    - It's quite alright to be unsure of everything. Hell, people are discovering new things everyday
    - Some days, you just need a good cry

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Little Bits of Wisdom You've Gathered, Discovered or Been Told During Your Coming

For me:
    - There's nothing wrong with being wrong. We are all at some point or another.
    - Sometimes, once you think you figure yourself out, you find out more about yourself and the whole process starts over again.
    - Uncertainty is normal, and it is ok to be unsure.
    - Don't let others influence who you are. You are who you are, not who they make you (or want you) to be.

4. Nicholas1991

For me, ive found that people in everyday society dont gove a shit about me. I used to be a lot more self conscious but now i realise that people are too caught up in their own world to judge me, and even if they do who cares.

5. Sully

I think I read in one of your posts the other day that you said you were about 13 years old? If so, you're very wise for your age. I've only just begun to realise, at 20, that most people don't really give a damn. As you said, they're so caught up in their own shit, the stuff we worry about is nothing to them.

6. Nicholas1991

sorry to dissapoint you but im 22 :slight_smile:

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I forgot this one earlier...
    - never underestimate the power of denial. It's really powerful..

8. Foxface

For me

-it's extremely liberating
    -that not everyone in the LGBT community is B friendly
    -That the community outside of those who are mentioned above is quite lovely

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

For me it was to only come out when I had enough personal security to stand on my own feet. The amount of times I've read about young LGBT people being rejected or thrown out by parents is heartbreaking. I think it's the best advice.

10. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The truth is like surgery. It hurts like hell at first but trust me it fixes the problem.. A lie is like morphine.. It only numbs the pain for so long.

11. biggayguy

Amen to that! It kept me confused a loonnnnggg time.

12. Hefiel

I'll add mines. Might end up repeating some other members have already said, but oh well.

-Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. (Dr.Seuss quote)
    -Being out is a freeing experience
    -Who you are may change after coming out, that is normal, don't fear it. That is just who you truly are rather than what you led yourself to believe you were.
    -Don't try to be someone you're not however.
    -Men are very sexual creatures, don't let it get to you.
    -Don't be afraid to say "No" if a situation is making you uncomfortable.
    -Make a new circle of friends after coming out (you can still keep your old as well) and be 100% out. By that I mean, don't shy away from who you are, the friends who will stay with you will be your very best friends and you'll be able to be yourself without a single worry.
    -Join LGBT clubs if necessary.
    -Try to get more involved in the gay community or scene, and make friends with other fellow LGBT members. They will greatly help you in opening yourself up to the world.
    -Yes, there are some pricks out there in the gay community, it's not all rainbows and sparkles, get over it.
    -Men are freaking hot.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

-- If you don't be yourself, who will?

14. LiquidSwords

Most of all this.

Also I find it easier to be close to people once I've come out to them.