1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think there will ever be a program to save LGBT kids from homophobic parents?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ghost93, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay I know this sounds a little crazy, but after reading so many threads from teenagers on this forum about emotionally (and sometimes physically) abusive and hateful parents, I can't help but wonder if there should be some sort of intervention program to relocate kids to families who wouldn't mistreat them (like good foster parents).

I know many people think parents should raise their kids as they please and teach them what they want them to believe, but so many parent's are so disgusted by their child's homosexuality that they drive their kids crazy with depression and fear, often leading to suicide. No child or teenager should have to live with that kind of anxiety and emotional turmoil. Yet many gay and lesbian teens are treated like crap and have had their lives ruined by controlling parents not for anything they have done, but simply for what they are.

As society in general is getting more progressive and accepting, do you think there will come a day when homophobic parents could get punished for mistreating their child? Or do you think that's never going to happen? I know this sounds like a far-fetched idea but it's something that almost should exist.

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: Do you think there will ever be a program to save LGBT kids from homophobic paren

I hope one day it qualifies as psychological abuse (if it isn't already), in the same way as other forms of psychological abuse, allowing children at risk to be helped by child protection services or whatever it's called in various locations. I don't think there should be a special "homophobic behaviour" category for bad parenting.

3. Nicholas1991

Re: Do you think there will ever be a program to save LGBT kids from homophobic paren

If i ever had kids, not that i can, id be absolutely stoked if they turned out to be LGBT. Obviously im biased but yeah. I just dont understand how people spend so many years loving and raising children, only to throw it all away, i literally cant wrap my head around it. I cant imagine how hard it must be to already be young and scared, only to have that happen. I dont know how something like that would work or not, but i think something needs to be done, its child abuse. Every kid should be able to work towards their potential and not be limited by parents who dont deserve that title.

Didnt mean to rant, but anything to do with kids/teens kinda is kind of personal for me, especially about stuff like this.

#3 Nicholas1991, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Given that quite a few parents can get away with sexually and otherwise physically/emotionally abusing children and it'll be ignored on some ridiculous grounds, I don't think something like protection for sexuality will happen soon in large amounts.

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I think in some situations they already do. Not under some special category, but just under 'being abusive to your kid'.

But the impact of psychological abuse is often underrated. 'Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me' - what a load of nonsense.