1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should we as LGBT people support polygamist too?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Meagan, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Meagan

A lot of us are obviously having a hard time with getting the support we desire for our sexual orientation, yet it seems a lot of us are against other forms of relationships such a polygamy. If everyone in the relationship consents to the life style shouldn't we let them be? Its just a thought I had, because the last thing I'd want to be in terms of sexual orientation is a hypocrite.

2. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think people should be so vociferously against it for certain. If all partners are consenting, happy and the relationship is completely transparent, who am I to tell them they shouldn't go ahead? If those criteria are met for a monogamous relationship most people don't raise an eyebrow, I don't see why it should be much different for a polygamous relationship. Sure, it's not exactly how most people would choose to have a relationship, but that doesn't make it inherently wrong or less valid, so I think people should, like you say, let them be as long as there's consent based on honesty. So yes, we should support them.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally have no problems in accepting this, and do know three friends who are in such a relationship, and have been for several years, two males and one trans/f to m, and they seem very happy.

But as it's been practiced historically, as in the case with Mormons, even among some sects today, I don't like the way it operates on a sexist basis, where the males can 'have' as many females as they like, and the females have no such freedom.

I support the idea when it's carried out in a setting of equality, but I can't give it much support as I see it practiced among certain Mormons, with much older men marrying very young nieces and what not...that seems kinda creepy, to me.

4. Sorceress of Az

As long as it's between consenting adults, I don't care,
    however I would personally never get involved in such a relationship, I believe in monogamy and intend to someday be in a strictly monogamous relationship.

5. Yosia

As long as EVERY partner involved or who is affected by it knows and consents then its okay ^^

6. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

About me...no. I don't want to support polygamist and I won't never make it.

I'm sorry but I think in this way.

7. EatYourRikkios

I don't see anything wrong with polyamory - or any other form of relationship. If everyone involved knows about it, is consenting and of age to consent... what problem is there? It makes them happy. There are people that have so much capacity for love that they are with more than one person, or are perfectly content being with someone that's with more than one person. And that's awesome.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe it's religion or personal choice but monogamy is my preference and while I cannot accept it myself I don't care what consenting people do.

Put it this way. Sure go for it but I'm not going to support it marching in a parade.

9. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose so. I support polyamory if that is your choice as long as it's consensual and not pressured of course. :slight_smile:

10. Nikky DoUrden

People choose their own way to live life and thats it :slight_smile:

11. Foxface

being polyamorous myself...I guess I would accept it

12. lameo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have a lot of friends who are outside of what society calls the norm. I have known people in poly-like relationships, and although, it is not my preference. I have always believed in supporting someone else and their choice. We want people to accept us, right? Kinda hypocritical if we would not support others.

13. itsonlyrelative

Honestly it is never a life style that I would choose, however it is not my right to ever restrict a person from a relationship style that they choose. I don't have a problem with it and I don't think the government should have a problem with it as long as the children within polygamous families are being treated properly, because unlike the consenting adults in the relationships they do not have the ability to just pick up and leave as easily.

14. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as they're all consenting adults, then totally. Funnily enough, polygamy is actually more of a religious freedom issue than an LGBT one. Go figure.

15. lameo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think the LGBT community is by far one of the most open-minded groups I have ever came across, go us!

16. LovelyBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes and No. I think everyone should be openminded and love and accept eachother but............

I believe IN freedoms. And I believe people should have the freedom to like and dislike what ever they want. I don't care for polygamy on myself but I don't care what others decide to do with themselves,but my sister HATES polygamy and is against it and she doesn't support it but she supports the lgbt community. And that doesn't make her a hypocrite that means shes just practicing her rite. Its not like shes gonna go abuse polygamist or care what they do with there life, she just doesn't like there lifestyle. Like I don't like 50% of 'legit' hipsters, I don't like theyre life-style and how hypocritical they are but I don't chase after them with sticks.

And ill be best friends with a hipster, my sister will be best friends with a polygamist, and my bff was friends with me and she doesn't support the lgbt 'life-style'.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I basically saying 'Should we as lgbt people suppot the polygamist too'?
    just because your in the lgbt community... no...
    I believe you should support something you feel is right, you personally believe, something your passionate about and open to changing.

not just say- "yea I support polygamy, so I watch the show..every Thursday"

but "Yea I support this community and believe they have every right to do what they do as individual citizens, and adults. I condone they're lifestyle. And I defend it."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    I geuss it just depends on the meaning of 'support'.

17. Shamash

I think that we shouldn't really associate ourselves with polygamy, because that kind of association is not going to bring us more acceptance, I think. However, I do think that it should be legal, as long as all are consenting adults and all other laws are followed.

18. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " Should we as LGBT people support polygamist too?"

The most important word in that sentence is the word "should". Should implies an obligation. Am I obligated to agree with polygamy BECAUSE I'm LGBT? No, of course not. Hell I'm not even obligated to agree with same sex marriage even though I'm LGBT.

I DO agree with it, because actually it works for some people and they are happy that way. I couldn't ever do it myself but that's just me.

19. Im Just Me

Although I personally don't see how someone could feel comfortable with that situation, if everyone is aware of the situation and consents to it I think it's completely fine. (So long as it is allowed to go whichever way- one man and several women, or one woman and several men.)

20. BelleFromHell

I would only get in a relationship if it was 100% monogamous, and I don't know how it's possible for someone to love more than one person so intimately. However, as a strong supporter of the non-aggression principle, I feel I have no right to tell polygamists they can't have rights simpily because I disagree with them. As long as their relationships are between consenting adults, then I say let it be!
    I don't think they should be grouped in with LGBTs, however. Nothing against them, I just think their problems are different from our's.