1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today I reported it

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Mar 10, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I talked about this yesterday with my boyfriend just to let him know that I had wanted to do this, and he said go for it.

Earlier today, I went to the campus sexual assault resource center and made a police report about what my cousin raping me almost 10 years ago. I walked in there and explained what I wanted to do, and they called the campus police and two officers showed up and took down my information and put together a report.

I told the officer what happened, that it happened in 2004, what my cousin's name is, and where he might be living. They told me that because it's out of their jurisdiction, they're going to make what's called an "Assist report" and send it to the tiny police department in my hometown, population 6,000, that basically says "We got a report of a sexual assault that occurred in your jurisdiction in 2004, this is the victim/perpetrator's information."

I told them that the reason I decided to make a report was because I found out he has a young child. When I mentioned that the evidence was long gone, he said that the hard evidence is gone, but victim testimony is evidence as well and could convict him if it went to trial. Jerry Sandusky was convicted on less.

I don't know if I'll press charges, but for me, it's a form of closure. Through some family members I've found what city/state he lives in, and his dad is going to text me his address. I don't know how far we'll get, but I feel better already.

2. Ruthven

Well honestly that's very brave of you and I'm glad you did it. :slight_smile:

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Really hope this gives you some closure, mate.

4. PurpleGrey

Thank God it's still within the statute of limitations. I really hope there's enough to convict. Best of luck.

5. Nick07

Congrats. It must have been hard to do it.

Can I ask something? How can the accused person defend themselves? Please understand that I am not talking about your case. I am not sure how I would defend myself if someone pointed at me and said "he hurt me five years ago". And I didn't do it.

Again, if you don't like my question, I apologize and you certainly don't have to answer.

6. Richie.

In the Uk over the last few years there have been many many Celebs from the 60's/70's who are now on trial for assault and rape of 'fans'. Some have been found guilty..

For the record, I think you're brave, I was assaulted by my aunt when I was young! I have never gone to the police but in end you have to do whatever you need to get over the incident.. Don't let them win... Find peace.

7. person57

I think it's a great thing that you did this, you did the right thing

8. Rainbow Girl

That's very brave of you. Best of luck.

9. thesharkamander

You did the right thing. Good job, and good luck.

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best word I can use to describe how I feel right now is free. I'm free of this, I got it off my chest, I went to the authorities, and I'm free. Personally, all I want is for home to be arrested. I don't care if they drop the charges, I just want him to be placed in handcuffs, booked, fingerprinted, and photographed. That would be enough for me. I just need a little more information so I can see if I can make it happen.

11. Foster

I wish you the best of luck :slight_smile: I'm sure everything will go well, and at least you can have some closure. As someone who has also been sexually abused, I know finding peace with yourself can be hard. I'm still not to that point yet.

12. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Wish I had the guts for that.
    Good luck man.

13. tscott

As the father of an abused child, I can only say you should be very proud of what you did.

I told my eldest the same thing. They locked up the SOB who abused her for 8 years. It's not long enough, but he will carry that sex offender label for the rest of his life where ever he goes. His girlfriend was pregnant at the time he was tried. She's stood by from what I hear. By the time he gets out, the baby should about the age he likes his victims.

I personally hope they lock your cousin up. What closure you get so that you can continue your life happily, may be enough for you, but you need to stop and think about future victims. Very few stop at one, even after prison time.

14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very well done. The emotional scars can last forever, so it's important to do whatever you can manage to try to make them heal. Hope it turns out as you wish.

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you, Awsom, I'm sure it took guts just to say the words. There are some things in this life that are unforgivable; I'm glad you feel better already!

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not going to speak too long on it.

But good for you and hope you feel better from here on out.

17. sweetgayboy

sweetgayboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    sorry u got raped (*hug*) (&&&) and that was very brave of u and what a very good thing u did were all proud of u.

18. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My emotions have been pretty far back and forth, but I'm still feeling pretty good, even if I don't go to the local police back home and all that, and really there's not all that much you can do, as it turns out he was born in 1991, meaning he was 13 at the time of the crime and would have been tried as a juvenile. Now the statute of limitations hasn't expired, but I'm not sure how the juvenile thing would play out.

For the record, the statute of limitations in Michigan is 10 years after the crime was committed (We haven't even gotten that far), or the victim's 21st birthday, whichever is later.

19. Envira

Good for you! I really hope that this offers some closure and peace for you. I'm sure it's more than a load to handle.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on making the report. I think you'll find, over time, that the effect of getting it out there will be liberating in more than one way for you. And hopefully it will also provide some level of protection for his children.

It takes a lot of guts and vulnerability to do what you did and you should feel really good about taking those steps, for yourself, and for his children.