1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the hell?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thesharkamander, Mar 10, 2014.

1. thesharkamander

This guy in my health class literally asked the teacher if bisexuality is considered a mental disorder because, "How can a girl like a girl who acts like a guy?" (Does this guy even know what bisexuality is?)

I visibly got angry and was seriously about ready to flip this guy off.

So.
    Probably outed myself to my health class today.
    Which is totally cool with me.

2. Foxface

I'd say get used to it. It's misunderstood by the ignorant...I pity folks like that

3. Incognito10

Use it as an opportunity to kindly shed light on the topic. Some people, obviously, truly lack knowledge. If we respond with kindness, compassion and the desire to educate and share our knowledge, people will learn. I know it can be difficult when we're misunderstood, but sometimes we have to step back and not assume and know that flipping someone off is not going to get a point across.

4. thesharkamander

Yeah, I wish I would've done something more helpful than what I did, which was angrily move my hands around and glare at him.

But unfortunately, that's easier said than done.

5. EatYourRikkios

*hugs* Well, if nothing else, you can go back to Health class prepared to answer questions - maybe even ask your teacher if you can take some time in class to discuss it. Just because you only got mad today doesn't mean you can't do more tomorrow. Good luck!

6. thesharkamander

I could see about doing that.
    It might not be right away though, because we're not even in a remotely relevant unit right now--we're learning about nutrition...

7. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

My health class said they weren't going to cover same-sex stuff because it doesn't really exist. I don't go to that school anymore.

8. EatYourRikkios

The other kid brought it up first. Tell the teacher that addressing it now could help avoid it being a thing and distracting the class for the next few weeks. The teacher might disagree, but try to see if you can talk about it during a relevant unit. If nothing else, discuss it before class starts, or during free time.

9. thesharkamander

"Doesn't really exist"
    What even.
    Are we just a really convincing illusion, then?

10. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

No, you can have sex, but you aren't doing it because you "love" each other, you're doing it because you are perverted.

I hated that backwards country school, even the teachers were homophobes. Like my health teacher.

11. Incognito10

I do not know your comfort level in speaking, but regardless if you're on the topic of nutrition, you could speak to the instructor and say since the topic came up the other day, you would like to take a few moments to address a misconception that was voiced. This request should be honored because that is what school and learning is about...sometimes important topics come up that are not in the "text book" but still need addressed. If a teacher said we're not going to ever discuss topics outside the realm of the text, I would question how much they really teach students to think for themselves. Or you could defer it until you're on a topic of sexuality and then address it.

12. hereliesfreedom

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Reminds me of my theology class. Some girl said that girls can't be gay cause girls can't like other girls

13. thekillingmoon

I find it amazing that you even have a discussion about bisexuality in health class. When I was in school, we didn't talk about anything outside the standard girl + boy relationships. One thing hasn't changed though, a lot of people are still very ignorant about the subject of homosexuality and bisexuality.

14. EatYourRikkios

Dude, I wish anything outside of boy/girl relationships was discussed when I was in health class. In my high school, we had abstinence education.

'Sex is bad and makes you unable to make meaningful connections with people the more you do it and if you have it before marriage you'll get AIDS or syphilis the first time you do it - unless you're married, then it's an integral part of a healthy, loving relationship.' *snorts* I got kicked out one day for disrupting class when I asked what you were supposed to do if you couldn't get married in your state. Up side: someone left a dollar in the vending machine, so I got free M&Ms!

If you can get an actual discussion going in your class... I envy you, and encourage you to go for it!

15. apostrophied

Tell him that bisexuality is a disorder in which a person has both a penis and a vagina (maybe in the front and back?) and see what he says lol. He sounds like an incredibly ignorant fool. No harm in havin' some fun with those, no? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jkjk. Maybe...

16. Data

Data Guest

I'd say there's harm. It would then appear as though you're making fun of the intersex group while appearing just as ignorant as the other guy.

In my opinion, you either shut up and don't say anything or you raise your hand and ask for the floor so you can correct the person and educate them correctly. Don't half ass it and don't joke around.

17. apostrophied

True, data, although intersex people don't have a penis in front and a vulva in the back, but whatever. I used to think that "bisexual" meant that a person had the two different sex organs, so that's why I suggested OP to pull his teacher's leg a little bit with that. Obviously, this wouldn't happen in real life though, because the teacher would surely get pissed off. Much like OP should probably avoid correcting his teacher for the same reason... I mean, she could try, but that would be at her own risk and peril.

18. Data

Data Guest

They can have ambiguous genitalia and people can be born with genitals between male and female in nature.

The op isn't correcting the teacher, she's correcting the other student with the teacher's permission to address the class. By doing it that way, the student will be corrected, the class will be educated, and the OP will have the teacher's respect for giving correct info and ending the question right then and there.

I just don't see gender or sexuality as joking topics in a learning environment. People suffer from dysphoria and depression because of it, and joking in health class isn't appropriate.

19. apostrophied

Oh nvm, I thought it was the teacher. Then op would be in a good position to correct him. And yeah you're right, I stand corrected.

20. Ned B

It sort of depends on the school and the state. For instance until recently in Michigan (and this may still be true), school systems could instruct their health teachers that they were not allowed to discuss homosexuality or bisexuality in any way. They could only recommend that the student talk to their parents. I don't know if that would apply to a student who wanted to speak on the subject, but probably.

I think the only time that it came up in my health class was to explain how AIDS/HIV got from Africa to American heterosexual couples.