1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the difference between being gay or left-handed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RedDev84, Mar 10, 2014.

1. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If someone said something like this before, my bad! But I was thinking recently about how I'd love for being LGBT to be considered as little of a big deal as being left handed was.

You may like a read if you're not too busy or are bored :lol:

I often wonder if being LGBT might be viewed one day as the same way left-handers are viewed. The fact of when someone tells you their a lefty is forgotten in minutes. Yet I bet the %age of people who are LGBT compared with %age of lefthanded people isn't that different!
    Even if it did, probably not in my generation, and I'm not particularly old.

100s of years ago (no idea how long really, bad at history herp derp) I recall that left-handed people were picked on as 'different' and they were punished and/or forced to use the right hand.
    This has now happily moved on from problem to simply non-existent, it's just a pointless fact about people really!

In my ideal world, and I suppose pretty much everyone here views this too, being LGBT would be just like being left-handed to everyone, not even something to think twice about.

I'm not that blind sighted to realise there are differences. I might fancy someone, but if they're as straight as they come, I can't have that person as my partner. If they're left-handed it doesn't matter though! Another example is, as a user here described, the human's first priority seems to be SEX which probably isn't inaccurate. Again, being left-handed doesn't effect that too much... being gay might well do unfortunately if this isn't mutual...

Anyone else had a weird thought process like me in this case? :roflmao:

Maybe it wasn't being left handed and was something else?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps I just went to the shittiest school in the world but "cack-handed freak" was a hurled around at lefties all the time when I was younger...

3. C P

C P

Though there are differences, yeah, I get the point you are making, and it would be nice. Ideal world though...

Speaking of the topic though, all those freaking right-handed tools like scissors back in (elementary) school...nightmare. o.o

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it will get to that point eventually. We're getting closer every day.

You do know that there appears to be a major correlation between left-handedness and being gay (at least for men, not sure about women.) A number of studies have shown that about 40% of gay men are left-handed, while only about 10% of the population as a whole is. Dunno what that says, but it's interesting in any case.

5. AKTodd

Official repression of left-handed people was going on much more recently than 100s of years ago.

My mom (who's in her late 60s now) used to tell me stories about a boy in her grade school class who was left handed. If he attempted to use his left hand the teacher would hit it with a ruler (quite hard IIRC0 in class and force him to write or whatever with his right hand.

Todd

6. Yosia

Im left handed and LGBT!! XD

7. Beantown

Beantown Guest

Ahaha they use to say that to the lefties in my school too, that was fun to watch. I didn't join in but I'd just laugh and point, my ex though use to stop them from calling them that though :'( and they'd listen since he was more popular. He was too nice to people.

#7 Beantown, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
  8. MessieM

I'm left handed!! Did you know that if you are left handed then that means that you are a lot more creative and imaginative... and a lot more likely to fall into daydreams!
    Sounds like me :slight_smile:

However, I'm right handed in racket sports... this might mean I'm a lot more logical when I'm exercising lol

it's to do with what side of the brain you are using

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother used to be slapped by the nuns when she wrote with her left hand (she's left-handed). I can only imagine what they did with the gay girls :frowning2:

They're both incidental and morally equivalent, but obviously being any of the LGBT+ groups will get you worse treatment.

10. Straw_berry

I'm mostly right handed when writing, but I can switch between both if I feel like doing so, I'm left handed in other things though Nyu~

11. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm by no means a walking encyclopedia of British colloquialisms but "cack-handed" makes me think there should be some sort of twisted, razor-sharp claw in place of a human hand. What does that mean?

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2014 at 11:12 AM ----------

Are you attempting some sort of Regina George impersonation?

12. Yosia

really?? im the same but the other way round!! ^o^

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Will 'cack' is basically shit. Or 'bad'.

So if you're cack-handed, you are 'shit handed' or 'rubbish handed'. You are 'BAD HANDED'.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Samurai were not allowed to be left handed...

15. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That makes sense. I suppose if it were an actual claw, no would make fun of them. At least, not for very long.

16. EatYourRikkios

A friend of mine is left-handed, sort of. She tried using her left hand when we were little and the teacher would smack her desk and make her use her right hand instead. To this day, she uses her right hand to write, but her left for everything else.

17. Ned B

Yes, right hand preference still happened not so long ago. In elementary school, one of my Mom's teachers had her keep her left arm behind her back at all times while sitting at her desk to force her to use her right hand. She is now in her early 50s, so that was only 40ish years ago.

Will being gay experience the same half century turn-around in opinion? Probably not, but it sure would be nice.

18. AAASAS

Religion needs to be eradicated for that to become the norm.

Every bit of homophobia, sexism, enforcement of gender roles is traceable to the Qur'an, Bible, and Torah.

There isn't much about it in other cultures.

Sorry but it's the truth, until people stop believing in a "God", who set "rules" there will always be homophobia.

Even people who are homophobic without religion got those ideas from Christian, Muslim and Jewish ideals, the idea of things being "not natural".

If Nature became peoples religion or main source of structure for how to act, then maybe this would be achieved.

It certainly won't happen in my life time, though as non-affiliation rises, homophobia and discrimination lower.

I don't mean to offend but it's true, most womans rights issues in the world today are directly related to religious texts.

But everyone, including homosexuals, continue to hold on to it, because it's been ingrained in society for so long that sanding it away will take centuries.

19. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder what it means if you are right handed, but hold a pen like a lefty?

20. Night Rain

I'm not entirely sure but I think the number isn't that high. If I recall correctly left-handed guys are 10% more likely to be gay, not the whole 40% of gay men are left-handed.