1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How LGBT friendly is your school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Mar 10, 2014.

1. person57

My school is actually pretty LGBT friendly. I'd say that 90% people accept the LGB and 50%accept the T. It sucks though that Transgendered people aren't as accepted.

2. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We have a lesbian couple that always kisses... no one says anything.
    We have the mural of acceptance wich has Gay and Lesbian symbols as well as an interacial couple getting married on it.
    We have like 4 social workes you can contact...

I'd say only some immigrants are homophobic and it is because of their parents.

3. Neko Daemon

I go to a Christian Academy, so I run into the nonsense a bit more. That's pretty much the only reason why I haven't come out in school...

So, let's see... Average week day, picking the day when my schedule would work the best for this, Friday:

Homeroom: Someone's usually complaining about seeing lesbians kiss at the bus stop.
    Literature: The teacher prays about spiritual warfare, and almost always adds something negative about gays and/or gay marriage.
    Study Hall: Someone makes a joke about me or one of the other supposedly-hidden-but-I-guess-that-we-aren't-doing-a-good-job-at-keeping-it-secret people being lesbian/gay/etc.
    Geography: That class actually seems to be alright with it...
    French: Usually okay as long as we aren't watching a video, then the gay jokes come out.
    Lunch: I sit with a trans boy, his friend, and one of my friends who's an ally.
    Algebra: LOTS of jokes and comments about the trans boy and me, a lot of times about us possibly being lesbian. We both just laugh at them...
    Bible: SO MANY RANDOM ARGUMENTS AND DEBATES AND JERKS! However, the teacher says things like "I'm personally against it, but if my son were to tell me he's gay, it's not like I'd kick him out or love him any less." and when people start saying things that are worse than usual, he'll say something like "You really shouldn't say things like that. For all you know, someone here, one of your classmates may be gay. We've had a few people like that here before."
    Study Hall: Someone gets in trouble for kissing or whatever else in class and then asks the stupid question of "What would happen if two girls or two boys kissed?", which is the same punishment, except people will probably tease you about it even more. The teacher for this study hall said that that has happened before, so...
    Biology: Even just hint at gays or trans or whatever else, even if it's just one 3 word sentence, expect about 8 or 9 full sentences about sin, possibly a full blown lecture if you catch him in a certain mood.

So, yeah. It's kind of 65% against, 25% for, and 10% neutral or "I'm so not getting involved in this conversation."

Yay. xD

#3 Neko Daemon, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To contrast the above post, There's a joke going around the school (that nearly praises itself for this) that it's the "gayest school". It's honestly the first time I've known something to be part of a "gayer" thing with a lot of pride in said "gayness". Not to mention, whenever someone comes out, there's no doubt those of us who are LGBT will have our say in the matter, whether we joke or not. One of my friends follows like 10 LGBT facebook pages (while I only just follow George Takei's, and with good reason) while one of the others makes constant personal cracks about being a lesbian (much like another person makes constant jokes about being fat, which are always actually really funny).

Gotta say, I fucking love my friends.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's pretty open minded and accepting here, as are most college campuses from what I've heard. However, the LGBT group at my school has really gone downhill and turned into a real-life hugbox instead of a support group that was hostile to anyone who didn't agree with them on every little thing.

I felt like I was walking on thin ice the entire time I was there, and the last straw was when someone stormed out of the meeting in tears and demanded that one of the higher-ups in the group step down from his position because he used the phrase "You guys" while addressing the group, which is a regional, gender-neutral expression that is used in this part of the country to address a group of people, regardless of their gender.

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    North Texas is major LGBT friendly. We have a long-standing joke that's going through the student body that every guy that goes there is gay. Needless to say, everyone is pretty cool about it. We had one Student Body prez that was hardcore anti-gay and was like: "it's alright if you're gay but to stay out of hell, you need to repent for your sin." I haven't heard much about the LGBT group here but I heard that it's pretty cool. I'm on the facebook page, even though I don't go to meetings, and the people on there seem pretty respectable and whatnot. The group has just been made a Secret facebook group to avoid outing anyone so I see that as a sign of respecting people's boundaries.

But yea, all in all, the general college population is LGBT friendly.

7. sweetgayboy

sweetgayboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well nobodies openly gay but we have a lot of bisexuals. On a 1 out of 10 I would give my school a 6 for being accepting.

8. Csteg

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Here in southeast Texas it's really terrible. Everyone sexualizes the few lesbian couples we have here. One time a couple kissed and there was a HUGE commotion of everyone yelling "Oh!! I can't believe they did it!! That's so hot!!" It's really disgusting.
    And don't get me started if there's a boy that comes out. It's hell for them. A guy friend of mine who graduated came out to his parents and they took away his college scholarship and told him to pray the gay away.
    Slurs are very common as well. I try to correct people but it's no use. Yet the whole idea with girls wanted a gay best friend comes into play so it really doesn't make sense. It's so hypocritical.
    Overall, I hate my school. Equality, my ass.

9. Blackie

Blackie Guest

I go to a Church of England(Anglican) Academy, there is no kind of LGBT support or groups or society or GSA or anything like that whatsoever. There's only one openly gay kid in the entire academy out of the about 300 Year 12 and 13s here and he gets picked on so yeah, it's not great.

10. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never actually been to my school yet so I don't know :grin: We only get 6 lectures a year and so far I've managed to miss all of them!

11. Timm

My high school was actually pretty LGBT-friendly. Of course, you run into a few homophobes wherever you go, it seems. But being openly gay in my school was relatively painless.

12. Lozzaaa

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SO LGBT FRIENDLY. I started an LGBT group (known as Identity) and since then 5 people - students and staff - have come out as trans*, and we have a lot of out queers. No one has given any obvious bullying Obviously, there's still a bit going on - it happens everywhere, it's a school, it's unavoidable - but it's so amazing supportive. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have been allowed to give assemblies and I would have been beaten up by now =p

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For context, my High school was very on the fence on LGBT issues. In homestuck terms, the "highbloods" were very anti-gay and mid-down were mostly friendly to LGBT people (largely because most of the LGBT people were in that area)

14. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

My batxillerat school/college/sixth form/whatever it's called in your country is pretty conservative on these sorts of issues (It's fee paying so it attracts conservatism :frowning2: ) There's one gay boy and he gets all kinds of horrible abuse, even some teachers mock him...

15. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Once some of the rich girls in our school went to France in the summer holidays about two years ago, with the principal, to visit our school's other branch which is in France. While they were there, the principal went for an anti-LGBT meeting thingy, and when she came back she proudly mentioned it in the presentation she gave us about the visit.

So with someone like her at the head of the school... yeah it wasn't very LGBT friendly. It did depend on the people though. There were quite a few nice people. But in general,it wasn't.

16. Yosia

Mine is really LGBT friendly, more people know about me than i thought but they dont say anything rude to me ^^

I also know a few people who are fully open and people not been mean to them at all!!

17. EatYourRikkios

My high school was alright. I spent most of my time in the theater department, so maybe that colors my perception a bit, but... *shrugs*

I remember in my senior year, there was a girl who was quite popular made a remark in class about how she 'thanked God she wasn't bi' and how bisexuality was gross and wrong - all of this directed at a friend of mine, who is *very* out. Next thing anyone knew, popular girl wasn't so popular anymore. Most people were offended on my friend's behalf, and thought she was being really awful.

But that's just a big incident. In general... most people didn't bat an eye when they say a couple girls kissing, or two boys holding hands or whatever, so long as they weren't blocking the stairwell. Then they were treated like a boy-girl couple doing the same thing, and told to get a room and move.

Kind of weird, considering my school was very much filled with rednecks, but everyone was pretty accepting.

18. awesomeness

Well, the country I live in is really pro-gay in general. So yes, the school is LGBT friendly. Coming out will cause you no problems at all here

19. TheShyGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hardly any are accepting at all. :/

20. Ignorance

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, most of them are like "I have nothing against gays, but it's disgusting". They use the terms like f*ggot or dyke instead of gay or lesbian.
    All they do, however, is gossip and refering to the gay or bisexual students as "That gay guy"- it's horrible how you pretty much lose your name once you come out or are outed.
    Most of the teachers are homophobic, with the exception of the religion teacher, who is really cool!