1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being marginalised.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Emulator, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Emulator

Just wondering what EC has to say about being marginalised, discriminated, and/or treated as of a low social status.

The LGBT community undoubtedly faces a lot of discrimination by baseless stereotypes. What's your response when someone discriminates against you because of this, and your thoughts towards the whole idea of LGBT people being 'lower' than the rest?

2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There's been the odd moment where I've wondered what I've been signed up for and pondered if I'd be better off staying in the closet.

I wouldn't have to worry about someone seeing me holding hands with a guy and deciding that's grounds for a hiding, I wouldn't have to deal with funny looks and stink eyes, I wouldn't have to deal with people avoiding me in case they catch something, I wouldn't have to deal with the possibility that my family would react in a less than positive way, I wouldn't have to deal with people throwing lies and innuendo about my sexuality my way, I wouldn't have to deal with people telling me that it's a phase or I've chosen the wrong lifestyle etc.

Basically I wouldn't have to deal with a lot of unwarranted shit. While I'm OK with the idea of being gay, the world got a hell of a lot more scary and became a patchwork of places I can't set foot in when I worked it out. While I'm fortunate in that I live in a country where equality and the phrase "We're a' Jock Tamson's Bairns" is prized and almost sacred. I live in fear that all rights I was given back could be taken away again just to appease the electorate or to suit the whims of a cabal of politicos.

When I see stories about Uganda, Nigeria, Russia, Iran etc and how they treat LGBTI folk, I think "there but for the grace of God, go we all." There's going to come a point years from now, where countries will look back on this period of time with a sense of shame and disgust at what went on and will question why people allowed themselves to be led down such dark paths.

I just wish I didn't have to live through it.

#2 GeeLee, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014