1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with buying men's clothing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi:

If a person is buying basic stuff in men's clothing, wants decent quality, and doesn't want to spend a fortune, there are these merchants I usually buy from:

- L.L. Bean
    - Eddie Bauer

I know Land's End exists, but I don't usually buy from them. I don't know why I don't like their stuff.

Anyway, beyond these 3, can you name a few more on-line catalog type clothiers that sell similarly priced men's jeans, shirts, and tees on line as those mentioned?

Thanks.

2. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    check out jackthreads

3. AlamoCity

Eddie Bauer used to be good but apparently lost its quality a decade or so ago (according to one of my relatives who used to swear by it :lol:slight_smile:.

My list of good quality online purveyors are:

Brooks Brothers- I just got a couple of oxford shirts for about $35 on sale (prices are back to "normal," though). If you shop at their Father's Day sale or right after that day when they have their semi-annual sale, you can get some pretty good deals on quality clothing that's not too "avant-garde." Just stay away from the Red Fleece collection because it seems to be more towards the younger crowd (even I don't like it and I'm in that demographic :lol:slight_smile:.

Polo Ralph Lauren on Macy's/Dillard's and other department store websites on sale from time to time (I rarely pay full retail on clothing).

I tend to stick to specific brands because it's easy to make sure the shirts and clothing fit me every time and I dress the same way day in and day out, and eschew fashion trends. These brands usually don't disappoint me (except, for instance, when Ralph Lauren released the monstrosity of the Big Pony collection). Also, I have pants and shirts from those companies that are over 5 years old and still look decent. Can't say the same for other clothing I buy.

Also, to make clothing of any quality last longer, use the lowest setting on the dryer and washer, and, better yet, hang dry on plastic hangers (don't dry on wooden hangers) your better clothes, if you have the space and inclination. All that lint is your clothes being shredded strand by strand :eek:.

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recommend JackThreads, 1000%. I ordered Thread for Thoughts shorts from JT. Ended up dishing out around $100 for 3 pairs when they go for like $70. The reason they can do this is described on their website. The watch I'm wearing? Ordered from them...retailed for like $1000 and got it for $100. If you can find any other website similar to JT, I highly recommend.

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have a Gabriel Brothers or Gabe's, go there. Their clothing is really keep. I went with a friend and got $150 pair of pants for $10. Here is their website.

6. setnyx

for big and/or tall guys, i order from king size direct.

7. tscott

Brooks Brothers , Polo.com, Orvis

All these places have great sales, and always buy on sale...never, never pay retail.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, everybody. I've been checking these out. Right now, I'm looking for some jeans, other than standard Levi/Wrangler stuff, and 2 or 3 single colored tees. I might even pick up a nice rugby shirt if the price is right, since it's at the end of the season. I gave my last one away to charity.

Thanks again and I'll get to work.

9. apostrophied

Old Navy and Gap. Free shipping and sales all the time. They even do price adjustments for two weeks after you order (like if you buy a shirt for $30 and a week later it goes on sale for $20, they refund you $10 if you call them and ask).

10. jackyjohn

Hi,
    I don't like to shop from the local shops as they are very time consuming.I always prefer to do online shopping. One online portal which I personally like is Two Square Clothing for mens wear.They have good quality casual streetwear collection which can be used for various types of occasions at affordable price value.