1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What motivated you to make your avatar yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CharlieHK, Mar 14, 2014.

1. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

For those of you who have their face (like your whole face) as your avatar, what motivated you? I am not fully out, and neither is my S.O. so even though I want to change my avatar (believe it or not I am not a poorly drawn depressed demon man, I know, I had you are fooled with the nearly picture perfect realism that is my avatar) to my face, I worry about being recognized. Even though this is the only social media type site I am on (yeah, I'm lame no FB or twitter). And the chances are extremely low.

Any input?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly I just like the picture and wanted to show it off...which is pathetic really....

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I actually wondered where you went because I just look at Avatars to ID members. So I was like, dang Holly is on here all the time now she has vanished. I feel silly now. But I like the new pic! I think it's cool to see actual people, which is why I want to change...but dang, I am worried. But then again if I do get ID-ed they kind of have to explain what they are doing on an LGBT support forum in the first place....hmmm.

4. biggayguy

There are selfies in my photo section if you want to see my face. I'd rather have my idealized self be my avatar.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wouldn't they have to be here already to find and identify you?

And thanks! :3

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if I want to change it, I'll still look similar for people who visually identify members. It also makes me feel more comfortable; it's easier for a person to relate to someone if you can know what their face looks like.

7. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just felt like it really.

8. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I'm not suggesting someone sees the avatar and then sees me at the grocery store. I'm talking someone I know gets on here (or already is on here) and says "oh, CharlieHK is really ***********". If that is what you are asking.

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'd been thinking about doing it for a while- usually, I just like to use a favorite show/cartoon or characters I'm fond of. But didn't have a ton of pics I really liked, besides a couple in my albums. This was a selfie I took a few months ago and kept around because it turned out.

So like a lemming, I just followed the leader. :wink:

10. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Incidentally, ever since you (Drwinchester) updated your avatar I've decided it's a personal goal to take a better selfie than that! (Which isn't going to happen but still... xD )

11. AlamoCity

At first it was simply because I was tempting fate and almost trying to get "caught" by someone I knew. As if, deep down I seriously wanted to be "outed" in real life and have an enormous burden lifted off my shoulders.

Nowadays, it's mostly to allow me a semblance of normalcy by embracing who I am in this forum (i.e. a guy who likes guys). It also helps to show I'm a normal person. There are plenty of folks I'm not out to, so this forum affords me the freedom to have an online identity that is not some avatar but me.

12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Took a lot of face angling and cursing while adjusting my hair and beanie. :lol: Looking good yourself. :slight_smile:

13. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Yeah I have a selfie I took a few month back that I was planning on using.

I think I've solved my biggest issue, if I am ID-ed, I have the same type of potential dirt they do. "Why are you on an LGBT forum? Looking for oatmeal cookie recipes aye?". Even though I hate to be the type of person uses threats when threatened. But being trans* and not wanting to out my S.O. is a pretty big thing.

14. Ruthven

Well I don't have my avi as me, and it's not cuz I'm scared or ashamed or anythin like that, I just like using people/things I love as avis. Maybe when I'm on T for a good while, I'll prolly use my face sometimes, but I'll still use Randy Orton and other peeps/things as my avi too.

This isn't true for me. i don't relate to people any more or less cuz of their avatars.

15. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, the only person I'm honestly worried about stumbling upon this is my mother. Anyone else, take it or leave it. I maintain a pretty decently sized online presence (Tumblr, Facebook, etc) so if I was going to be outed, I would've been outed already.

And even if my mother did find this, it could (potentially) work to my advantage. "See, I'm not gender confused!"

But yeah. I can understand.

16. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Yeah I think I'm gonna do it. You guys have convinced me. Okay so now I'll answer my own question.

I was motivated by the logic of other people here on the site.

17. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yaaaay peer pressure!

18. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

:roflmao: Yes, in short, peer pressure.

19. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Hey look at that, the guy's without wings. :wink:

20. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Lol, yeah. Now if my heart would get out of my stomach that would be great. I am literally nervous for no reason now. That's how it works though. Get yourself worked up over nothing.

Thanks for the help everyone. :icon_wink