1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Third Wheel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BitterEdge, Jul 17, 2008.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Whether you are straight, gay, bi, trans, etc I'm wondering how often do you feel like the dreaded third wheel?

2. I've only ever felt like that once when I went to a water park with my friends and they all brought their significant other I was like xD mad awkward.

3. Paralyzer

A lot lot lot lot lot, and I'm getting rid of my friends because of it. They're assholes :grin:

Well, it's probably more my fault. I'm kinda quiet around the friends I have that don't know about my sexuality and that leads to me not exactly participating in a lot of things.

But the friends that do know about me are the ones I told because we weren't exactly the closest people so I wasn't scared to come out to them. That makes me the third wheel because.. well, they aren't my best friends and they've got other gay people to hang out with.

I'm not really getting rid of my friends, I'm just finding newer ones that I can be more open with. Probably some gay friends... like EC.
    It's becoming easier as I get older :]

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Whenever I'm with a friend who is with their BF/GF. My best friend at least has the good sense to not get intimate with her boyfriend around me. He's a bit of a cold fish, but w/e. Whenever we're around another friend of ours, she and her boyfriend are ALWAYS in each other's arms. It gets annoying.

5. Cool Beans

I feel like a third wheel whenever I'm in a group conversation and the topic shifts to significant others, since I have nothing in that department. I also really feel like one when I'm around any two of my friends who are dating (especially the two who know about me and the two who are always caressing each other's faces in public).

And sorta like Paralyzer, I'm quiet-ish around most of my friends because I can't give anything away about myself, which makes me seem and feel more like a third wheel than others may perceive.

6. Hoppip

It's that reason that I like to spend time with ONE friend. I really hate hanging out in groups, it's nowhere near as personal. I like having special bonding times with my different friends, where I can get to know THEM and they can get to know ME.

Being a third wheel is pretty difficult, I guess. I think that sometimes, though, I'm on the other side of the spectrum. I get so talkative that I think some of my friends can feel left out. Call me guilty. I try my best not to keep talking to one friend the whole time if I'm in a group of people.

I guess when I'm the third wheel, I try to jut into the conversation. I think I'm notoriously annoying for being a romantic-mood-breaker. If I'm the third wheel because two people are having romantic-time, I don't care. They can do that LATER. I talk to both of them anyways.

I really hate it, though, when my friends invite me somewhere with their boy/girlfriend. Because then I'm subjected to third-wheel torture and "annoying third friend" syndrome.
    >_<

7. rosiejuly3

I hardly ever feel like a third wheel and when I do feel like the third wheel I always make it so I'm not.

8. grapevine fires

I am constantly the third wheel, and, depending on who it is, I don't really mind. The most significant third wheel relationship is with my best friend and my lover, who are dating each other. Luckily they're not too bad, like.. they go off and do their thing (or I look away....), and I engage in my music (I always have my headphones around my neck) until they remember that I'm there.

If it gets bad, I just leave.

9. jazzrawr

Quite alot, because my friends seem to think that since i'm the most social, they should all bring me with them on those dates that they aren't sure are dates but end up being dates. >.< (Aka They end up making out and I try to ignore it. >.<)

I'm ok at making it so it's not awkward, because i crack jokes and talk alot, unless theyre all over each other.

10. justjoshoh

Well, there are way too many of us in my group of friends to feel like the third wheel. That is unless of course, you are counting off, "third-wheel, fourth-wheel, fifth-wheel...".

Actually, at times, I wander if the coupled people feel awkward around all of the singles (e.g. if they refrain from displays of affection because none of the rest are).

11. iNinjaTeddyBear

I'm Always the third wheel with everything. I always feel left out in a group.

12. ok455

I remember when i was younger i used to be good friends with this girl and we walked my dog together she met this guy and they started dating we would walk my dog together all they did was made out and felt up on each other. From that point on i stop hanging out with couples

13. AeonToy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :'( (*hug*)

14. Tim

Tim

A Lot lately... My friend always goes out with her boyfriend when we hang out, so of course, I feel like the third wheel. -.- Even when I'm with other friends, I feel like a third wheel just because they're better friends, as I don't talk much >_<

15. TheSuburbian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww!! (*hug*)

I feel like that a lot, actually. x_x

16. Poring

Don't we all at time..

Generally, I just tend to avoid 'encounters' or outings with friends like that. Usually when we do go out, it'll just be us and no significant others. It has always worked out fine, though there are times.. :bang:

17. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't remember a time when I haven't been the third wheel. Even the people I feel closest to always have someone (or many people) a lot more important than me - a partner or just friends they like better. You know how a lot of groups of friends have someone who tags along and isn't really liked that much? Yeah, that's me.

18. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

That s exactly how I feel...especially since oddly enough many of my friends are engaged now...and they still haven't seen me date.

19. Trumpetplyer23

I have a reputation with my friends for being annoying and talkative, so if they want to take me somewhere with their boy/girlfriend, they usually just hold hands with that person. Because if they start making out I'll yell something like "Hey guys, you might injure each other with all of that furious tongue movement. It's been known to take out eyes!". I'm a mood killer :grin:.

But when I had a boyfriend, he'd like try and make out with me and if we were somewhere public, like the band bus, I'd like, tell him no. For two reasons, one I don't want people to be able to watch us make out, it's creepy. Two, I'm pretty sure they don't want to see us make out.

Or maybe that's because he sucked at kissing....I don't know anymore.

20. same

If its not them being with their bf's/gf's its talking nonstop about them

which gets SO annoying >.<

and they always talk about how great sex is...and then when me and my mate (both virgins) say "ugh shut up" they say "you wouldn't want to have sex anyway its horrible", but they've just been saying how great it is

:frowning2: