1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I be more confident being a lesbian

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Mar 14, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I worry about what people think about me being a lesbian mostly that they will not believe me because I'm femme or lipstick lesbian if you will . I constantly hear my parents say like guys can turn lesbians straight or bi with sex and Some straight guys are less likely to believe you when you say your lesbian and your femme and in some cases they will believe your lesbian but get close to you as in friend in hopes that they can sleep with you or turn you . I wish I could be like other lesbians and not care what people think about me being gay or who believes me or not . I recently learned that I'm a lesbian 4months ago I hadn't spend much time you know as my true sexuality if that makes sense . Is this normal for me to be worried what people think of me . I've never dated anyone of the same sex either . except like online relationships which were long distance . I will i ever be as confident as other lesbian in my sexuality where what my parents say or ignorant straight guys say won't bother me anymore I want to feel that way but I can't help but worry what people would think of me wish I could not care what people think . :confused:

2. Hefiel

Personal experience (as a gay man), but the confidence I've gained since coming out as gay has been largely due to becoming more open and comfortable about my sexuality. I'm not afraid of the subject coming up, I take part in such discussions when they come up, and I make it a personal goal to educate the people around me to break down the stereotypes and misconceptions surrounding queer individuals. I'm also comfortable with joking about it with people and I surround myself with people who feel comfortable around me.

Lacking confidence with regards to your sexuality is akin to saying that somewhere you still believe it might be wrong. It's not, and no matter how strong the ignorant opposition is, they are just that, ignorant. If you've done nothing wrong then there's no reason to be ashamed or fearful of who you are. It's best to live with your head held high and not stand for any of that crap.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I just worry about people not believing me when I say I'm a lesbian but maybe your right maybe somewhere I still believe it might be wrong .

4. Hefiel

Let me put it this way instead: why does it matter if they don't believe you? They can deny it all they want, if you identify as a lesbian and you're attracted to woman, then there's nothing they can do or say about it that can change this fact.

This is part of what I said about not putting up with that crap ( I said "standing up" in my previous post, can't edit it). This negativity based on other people's ignorance is not needed. You can either choose to try and educate them or push them out of your life if they're too pig-headed to try and understand a point of view other than their own. Certainly harsh, but I feel like I've carried enough weights while I was in the closet that I don't want to carry any more now that I'm out.

If I see someone trying to accept or understand something that challenged their previously held beliefs, I'll help them. But if that person is stuck in 1950s and won't change his or her opinion regardless of all the facts available proving that person wrong, then I'm just going to leave that person behind while I move forward with the people that matter.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Why does it matter to me well it's because I worry that i might get raped , or attacked by guys and sometimes I have the thought about what if their might be right even though I know in my heart I'm a lesbian . It's just that lately a lot of guys have been harassing me lately and one guy is stalking me all the time another got mad at me for not being all jolly when he told me I was pretty and I acted all nonchalant about it . He got mad at me and pulled my arm I'm worried that other men will get violent against me and my girlfriend (even though I don't have a girlfriend at the moment ) but I'm scared people might attack us . I'm worried my parents will not let be be a lesbian and my family will shove guys down my throat or find a way to break up me and my girl or stop me from dating girls I'm scared . :icon_sad:

6. Hefiel

Are there any LGBT support groups in your area (preferably for Lesbians in particular)? I ask because I feel that you need a few tools to protect yourself (not necessarily implying learning martial arts or anything like that here). Admittedly, even a support group for women in general could also provide similar help. These kind of groups can also empower their participants to become more confident about themselves by giving them what they need to react to a variety of situations or to prevent such situation from happening in the first place (or from escalating further).

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm sure there are some but i've only seen ones about dating online plus with my job schedule I don't get much time to go but I'll be changing jobs soon .