1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you remember from your past?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paris, Mar 15, 2014.

1. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sometimes I come across these “How old were you when...” type of questions and what bothers me is that I can't answer them. I don't know why but the problem is that I remember very little from my past. It's not just what happened in my childhood but even things that happened one year ago. It's like I live my life in a haze, or behind a glass wall. :confused: I meet people/revisit places, etc. I should have remembered but I just don't.:bang: I hate that. It's almost like I'm blocking my memory for a reason, I don't know... I wish I knew how to remember.

2. Nicholas1991

I remember some moments so clearly, mainly from when i was a kid. but others are pretty vague. my short term memory is the worst, its like things just bounce off me, i get what you mean about like its like 'living life in a haze'.

3. sanguine

it depends,

usually when people ask these kinda questions, they are of significance

e.g what age did you have your first kiss? etc

and usually its easier to remember things in the past that were significant because of the feeling or smell that was attached to it.

so if you dont remember, its either because it hasnt happened yet, or the question is so stupid, it wasnt worth remembering.

4. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remembering has never been the problem; forgetting is. My earliest memory is watching grownups throw rocks into a pool and diving in after them, and thinking "That looks fun", and jumping in. They fished me out in time, obviously; I was 6 weeks short of my 3rd birthday and still remember vividly the feeling of the water in my nose and not being able to breathe.

I have a very long and detailed memory of huge chunks of my childhood; the problem is that the bad memories are vivid enough that they can bring back all the old childish feelings of irrational fear and insecurity, and the good ones are so extremely warm and happy that they make me sad, because so many of the people involved are gone. It would be nice to have better control over it all.

5. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I remember a lot more about kindergarten than grades 2-8 combined. I remember walking for the first time. I am not joking.

6. Nikky DoUrden

Some people can "touch" their brain more easily than others thus better remembering stuff.
    I'm not one of those people, but some times people will say something that will trigger something in my brain and open a path to remember a specific thing even if its not important at all.

Some people have Eidetic memory and can remember things happened 20 years ago like it happened yesterday so grats for them :grin:

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first clear(ish) memory is when I was 2 and at a local playgroup. It's a little vague - I just remember seeing this blonde-haired girl who was a year older than me, who went to my primary and high school as well. I can barely remember the woman who used run the playgroup - she had short, black hair. I think her name was Lynn.

I don't remember anything from 9/11 though, despite the obvious significance of that date.

#7 imnotreallysure, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I remember a lot of things but I can't tell you how old I was .:dry:

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like I can remember big events, small details, random things.

What was my first memory I can recall? I don't know. I remember a friend of mine sneezing all over his spelling test in 3rd grade and it was covered in a giant puddle of snot... Gross yes but hard to forget.

One thing I can't remember is a string of more than 4 digits at a time for some reason. Don't even ask me to remember a 7 digit phone number. I didn't even learn my home phone number until I was like 15...

10. BadWolf5

I can remeber some of my childhood, and I remember last year like it was yesterday.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My youngest memory was at 9 months, but I remember most of the main events of my childhood, both the good ones and the bad ones.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember a lot of things really clearly, then there are other things that I just don't remember at all. That's not taking into account stuff that I have forgotten because I didn't want to remember them. I can remember what I have gotten for Christmas, from age 5 on.I have some memory gaps in my high school years, but I guess that's what 10 concussions do to you...

13. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Actually surprisingly little. My memory of my childhood is somewhat sketchy as well. I can remember certain things or people, but only certain stuff- there aren't many precise or sequential memories I have. Some things you could ask me and I'd do a decent job of remembering, but ask me some other more precise things like stuff I got for various christmases/birthdays/what age I was when I did this and I'd be absolutely hopeless.

14. lordsnow

My first memory was of my sister's birth. She is a little more then two years younger then me. After that my memory is quite sporadic for the majority of my childhood. But with that said I feel like I remember most major milestones/events from it.

15. Riddick

Riddick Guest

Too much.
    I'm mostly a forgetful person but, if I remember anything its usually a bad memory. I remember more of the bad than the good in my life, hence that should tell you I'm a miserable person.
    If you do well in all your academic life and consider yourself intelligent, then I'd say you shouldn't worry about it so much. Good grades should show you that you meet the standard of an average brain and its ability to retain information... I'd say. Sorry for getting off topic...
    There's something I came accross over the net, when I was searching about photographic memeory and weather it could be acquired as a skill. It helped me a lot in realising that, data is better retained when there is more substance add to it. What that meant was, if you want to remember somthing make it more vivid and make it virtual.
    For example, as a test I was given a list of 20 random iteams and with them came the promise of memorising the list form top to bottom and even backwards ...how? by creating a story (giving the items substance) connecting each I team to the next. I was amazed, how I was able to retain each of the I teams in order, front and backwards of the list given. (can still remember some iteams on that list, to this day.)
    This wasn't the only test, there were plenty. Including tests that aided one to strengthen the ability to recall people's names, if you have difficulty with such. There was plenty more that I cannot remember but, you should try searching the web on how to stengthen your memory, in line with developing a photographic memory.
    Wish I could guid you to the same web page i visited but, there are plenty sites on the web that can help you practice strengthening your memeory. Good luck.

#15 Riddick, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  16. Renge

Err, as much as I can remember.

17. Niko

I remember everything from 5 yrs old on. Anything before that is kind of a blur.

18. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of my memories come from when I was six and up I think, seems like it was this morning. Then when I was in a really dark period, when I was twelve maybe, some of that I can't remember when my mom tells me about it. Memory is weird. I hate not remembering something, I'm not someone who can live in the moment, I need those memories or else nothing is really worth it.

19. laurenc

laurenc Guest

more then I like to . some are bad while others are good

20. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't remember as far back as some people, but it seems like I have a better memory of random events than some of my friends (I've also got a great people memory). The earliest one I can remember was being picked up during the last few minutes of preschool. It's just a blurry memory of a bunch of parents coming into the classroom smiling like idiots at their kids while looking for my dad in the crowd.

There's other random memories here and there, but some of the people in them don't remember being there or having them ever happen. For example, in the third grade, our school had a party at a roller rink. I was skating next to my best friend and trying to do a trick. When I did it successfully, I yelled for her to look at it. Next thing I know, the wheels on both of my skates rubbed together, stopped, and I flew back and landed on my back onto the wooden floor. Hit my head so hard that I blacked out instantly. I woke up about thirty seconds or so later surrounded by employees and another one of my classmates. To this day, my friend doesn't remember me falling on the rink... :O