1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got into the wrong career...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miaplacidus, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I was talking to an older student at uni the other day, and he told me that the career I chose (industrial chemist) has a 100% unemployment rate in Uruguay... that basically means that what I love is useless here.

That implies that I'll have to emigrate once I get my degree, otherwise I'll be stuck with a low-paying job doing something other than what I got prepared for.

Now I see why there are so few students going for this career choice (less than 5% at the Faculty of Chemistry)...

2. TheSuburbian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you love it, go for it! He may not be right, and if you must emigrate, there's always the good ol' USA, which you may want to stay away from if McCain wins the elections.

3. Helen

Helen Guest

Come to Dubai ^_^

Actually...don't. It's not very nice in Dubai.

Have you ever considered the UK?

4. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm considering Canada at the moment.

The UK has just adopted very restrictive immigration policies like the rest of the EU, and the USA aren't welcoming to anyone from here. And if McCain wins...

5. TheSuburbian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh, go canada. o_o

6. Poring

Well I'd rather migrate and find something I will love doing for the rest of my life rather than just staying where you are now, find a pretty normal job and end up hating it for the rest of my life.

If you're really interested in something, stick to it and you'll succeed! :grin:

7. Jim1454

I have trouble believing that there isn't a single 'industrial chemist' role in any company anywhere in Uruguay. Be careful where you get those kind of statistics from... It's from an older student (who perhaps hasn't 'made it' in the job market) and is somewhat cynical about the opportunities available.

I think it's important to do what you like. However, if there is an opportunity to generalize a little bit it might leave a few more doors open to you. No matter what field you go into, you're never guaranteed a job. Your attitude counts for a lot too. Plus, employers will look for examples where you've demonstrated character traits that they are looking for - but those don't necessarily have to be in a paying job situation. You can demonstrate those qualities through school clubs and other extracurricular activities (like, oh, I don't know, being the editor of an online magazine!).

So don't give up just yet. Start up a chemistry club. Invite speakers from industry to come and talk to the club. You'll be developing contacts in industry that could translate into job opportunities, or at least mentoring opportunities.

8. The UK might have stricter immigration policies now, but if you can prove you're bringing something constructive with your degree etc they're more likely to let you in.

the reason for the policies is because there have been lots of people coming in ot the UK who don't speak English and just take benefits etc

so we're getting stricter

thing is you speak very good english and you're coming here to pursue a career so you shouldn't have a problem
    :slight_smile:

xx

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well if this is true it could be a blessing in disguise. You've been wanting to get out of that place for a long time! To prove to immigration that there is no work in your field where you live will better your chances!

10. Beebo

Becky has a good point there. So does Jim. Canada will have lots of opportunities for you.

11. smilealways

smilealways Guest

Do what you want to do since so many people regret not doing it when they get older.

12. Kimi

Yup.

Even if you thought you'd like the job when you are getting one but sometimes you will find yourself absolutely hating it:slight_smile:

Like me for instance:dry: