1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you remember 9/11?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

I'll be 23 in July so you would think I would be old enough to remember the events of September 11, 2001... I got nothing though. I mean it was a pretty darn big event.
    I did not really pay attention to things happening in the world until like grade 9-10, so that might have something to do with it, not sure..

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, I was 6 that day and in first grade. After the second plane hit the Towers and it was obvious that it was a terror attack, they got on the PA and announced, "Please say the Pledge of Allegiance, and a short prayer."

I remember going home that afternoon and seeing the images of the wreckage and rubble, and watching George W. Bush's speech that night.

3. newfish

Nope. I was only 2. My parents have told me where I was, but I have nothing. I have friends just a year older that vaguely remember it. I don't think anyone my age does.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was just walking out of organic chemistry. The radio was audible literally everywhere on campus. TVs were blaring news. Classes were cancelled. I don't remember the specifics but I remember the surreal atmosphere of campus that day. I actually kind of broke down in my room though that night. Normally I don't get affected by even things like that, but I was pretty shaken up.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was in the 2nd grade when 9/11 happened. Teachers were running around the school, and we ended up getting let out 30 min. early. I then went home and did my normal routine of turning on CNN. My mom ran in and tried to turn it off, but by then I had seen the images of what happened. So, she talked with me about it. I remember being glued to the tv for hours.

6. Hiems

I was in 3rd grade and eight years old. My mom picked me up from school that day. She never explained to me why she picked me up until we got home and saw the footage of what happened. My siblings and I watched it from the living room.

It was frightening for my family that day because my brother attended NYU, which is not far away from the Twin Towers. So she hoped he was okay and indeed he was.

7. finlandwrc

I saw the plane hitting live apparently I don't remember I was 6 months old

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was 4, but I kind of remember what happened. I was at my grandmother's house, and she had just tuned it to CNN because they were saying that a plane hit the North Tower of the World Trade Center. I didn't really know how bad it was at first, but then I saw the second plane hit. I remembered crying the entire day, thinking of all the people who died.

I still get a bit emotional on 9/11, and when I see the footage.

9. itsonlyrelative

I was 4 when 9/11 happened, I don't remember much about the day (my parents have filled in the gaps of my memories), but I do remember being taken out of school by my mom and sitting around the table that night while my mom panicked because my dad was coming back from DC.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember my dad calling my mum to watch TV really late at night, and being sent to bed when I tried to come in. I was three, and they never told me what happened for several years until my father had to explain Afghanistan and Iraq to me.

11. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    3rd grade. 5-10 minutes before school let out, my teacher turned on the news channel and we just watched. I remember having a stitch in my side that day (completely irrelavant lol.) I just remember going home and having the TV tuned into one of the news channels that my parents watch.

12. Techno Kid

It freaks me out a bit that I don't have a story to tell from that day. :frowning2:

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in 6th grade English with the teacher I hated more than any other I had in my entire school career. The news was on showing planes crashing into buildings. When the first one happened I was like "wow, the pilots must have been incapacitated" and treated it as a crushing tragedy. But when the second one hit, we all knew something was up. It was that day that I learned the name, "Osama bin Laden."

14. Emulator

I only remember it vaguely. My parents were up watching TV but they didn't want me to see it, so they told me what happened verbally.

15. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I remember it. I was just about to go back to school after having my lunch at home when reports started coming in that a plane had gone into one of the towers. So I stayed home and watched the whole thing unfold on Sky News, 2nd plane crash, both towers collapsing, everything.

One of those things that you just don't forget.

16. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't remember it, but no. Guess I didn't know any of the happenings in the world at that time. So it seems weird that everyone knows where they were at that time.

17. purplekitty

I was in 3rd grade when it happened. I don't actually remember much from that day. I just remember that we had a (seemingly) random assembly where we had some patriotic songs and everybody got a toy flag. Other than that, the teachers told us nothing. I guess they decided that it was up to the parents to present the news. I didn't learn about it until I got home from school that day.

18. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was nearly 6... I lived in England then, and was going to move to India the next week or something. So it was one of my last days in school. And everyone was watching the news on the school television.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I woke up to find my dad watching the Twin Towers up in smoke, not yet grasping the full significance of the event. There was school that day, and I'm pretty sure it was talked about, but names like "Pentagon", "Osama", and "Afghanistan" were completely foreign to me. For the most part, life went on as usual, and the event seemed so far away at the time.

20. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Vividly.

-1st grade.
    - TV was on before school. That wasn't a usual thing. In fact, we have a rule that says "no TV when getting ready for school"
    - I remember predicting that the 2nd tower would be hit.
    - I was eating rice krispies in the Sesame Street Ernie bowl (which we still have and use).
    - I remember we had ironically brought our city skylines because we had to make a building out of a cardboard box (we effectively ended up recreating Chicago)
    - 2nd day of the school year.
    - I remember (vaguely) the talk we had there.
    - I remember then and until 3rd grade all the funny rumors in class and on the radio (thanks, Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly)
    - I remember my mom being devastated and worried about her cousin.
    - I remember coming in from school to see CNN reporting the towers had fallen.