1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite TV Characters

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zeevie, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Zeevie

Hi :grin:

I'm doing my thesis on the representation of the LGBTQ+ in television, and was just wondering, what are, in your opinion, some of the best LGBTQ+ characters/your favourite characters/awful characters and why?

And if you have any suggestions for me to study up any particular characters you think should be included in my thesis, please let me know :slight_smile:

Thank you!

2. Rainbow Girl

Well, I really love the Fiona Coyne, the lesbian character from Degrassi (she left the show last season). Also, the web series Out with Dad has amazing representation with all it's LGBT characters.

3. Zeevie

Thank you! :grin: I will definitely check out those. If I can ask, why do you like Fiona Coyne as a character?

4. newfish

Well, Felix from Orphan Black is pretty great. He's funny and a develped character, but he doesn't have all the super-flamboyant gay stereotypes.

5. Foxface

Santana and Blaine from Glee

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mitchell and Cameron on Modern Family.

7. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Willow and Tara from Buffy the Vampire Slayer are my favorites.

8. Zeevie

I agree, Felix is a favourite of mine too. And Cosima :icon_wink

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2014 at 07:30 PM ----------

They are great, aren't they? I could write about them for decades, but I have to restrict myself to 10,000-12,000 words :lol:

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2014 at 07:31 PM ----------

They would be great for the familial part of my thesis. Thanks for the suggestion! :slight_smile:

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    EDIT: Whoops. I didn't see the whole OP. These characters are either confirmed to be LGBT or it's suggested/teased.

Protagonists:
    - Italy (Hetalia)
    - Ren Mihashi (Big Windup)
    - Shuichi Shindou (Gravitation)
    - Kyle Broflovski (South Park)
    - Rainbow Dash (My Little Pony)

Side-kick characters:
    - Sheen Estevez (Jimmy Neutron)
    - Abe (Big Windup)
    - Hideyoshi (Baka and Test)

Antagonists:
    - England (Hetalia)
    - Russia (Hetalia)
    - America (Hetalia)
    - Eric Cartman (South Park)
    - Zarbon (Dragonball Z Abridged)
    - Burter (Dragonball Z Abridged)

Side Characters:
    - Butters Stotch (South Park)
    - BMO (Adventure Time)
    - Ryuichi Sakuma (Gravitation)
    - Tajima (Big Windup)
    - Jack (Will + Grace)

That's about all I can think of, at the moment.

#9 Jinkies, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  10. newfish

I think it's LGBTQ+ characters. But I have to agree, a lot of these are great.

11. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww man, I wanted to say Drusilla but I suppose she's straight. :slight_smile:

I like so many.. I too love Fiona Coyne! Afraid my reason is simple, mostly at least, because I have the biggest crush on her. But she is the definition of a non-stereotypical gay girl. Totally feminine, loves loves loves shopping, has awesome fashion taste. She might describe herself as a lipstick lesbian, but she only wears lipgloss. :wink:

Okay.. Also Tara from Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. Again, because she's cute though. I really can't give thoughtful reasons, I should probably stop. Haha. Well she's sweet and smart and magical and a really interesting character to me.
    Also Andrew from that show, he's supposed to be gay, was in love with Warren. He was so interesting, an awesome nerd, funny, and.. cute. :slight_smile:

I could name too many but I doubt I'd be helpful. I love Kurt and Blaine and Brittany from Glee. Mitchell from Modern Family. I also like Adam from Degrassi, he's transgender.
    Marco from Degrassi! Love him! A classic!
    Ooh, Marc and Justin from Ugly Betty! LOVE them! Plus Alexis, she was transgender. :slight_smile:

I guess you could say I love alot because you still don't see them that often on TV so we have a limited choice, thus making the options very uplifting when we get them!
    Usually my favorite characters are the ones who are LGBT+.
    The ones on Degrassi, although underrated, are great because they are realistic. That show has always been about realism, so you get all different kinds of people who happen to be LGBT+. Even the popular blonde straight girl turned out to be bi. So you never know. It's relatable, it's unlike other shows so I love those characters.

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2014 at 11:45 PM ----------

Oh and for family ones, you've got Lena and Stef from The Fosters. Really engaging family show, nice and relatable. Normal parents. :slight_smile:

12. Zeevie

This is fantastic! It can be any favourite characters, LGBTQ characters or characters you "ship" with other characters even if they aren't "canon" i.e. Destiel from Supernatural - two apparently "straight" guys etc. I'm also going to be covering the topic of Queer Baiting and subtext and perception.

So, really, if you like any character (even if they aren't confirmed to be LGBTQ+) please let me know why :slight_smile: Even if I don't use your suggestion, as a fan of television, I find it fascinating and interesting to talk about with people :grin:

Thanks again for such great suggestions, this will be great for my research!! (*hug*)

13. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh okay, then I am a fan of Howard and Raj from The Big Bang Theory! Love or hate the show, I still ship them. I even watch Youtube videos that ship them, SO CUTE.
    The show makes a joke, or hints at, their often perceived romantic relationship. But so far we are to believe they are straight. Sigh.

And I forgot to mention... OH MY GOSH I LOVE PAIGE from Pretty Little Liars! I haven't been able to watch the last season, but I loooooove her. Again.. biggest crush. <333
    Ugh. Oh right. Anyway... Her and Emily, love them together. Plus, Paige is more masculine, a little bit, than most gay women on TV. That's nice to see.
    And Maya was nice too. :slight_smile:

14. newfish

Now that you mention queer baiting, Sherlock and John from Sherlock are a pretty good example of that. Both good characters that the writers consistently feel the need to involve with queer baiting.

15. Zeevie

Oh queer-baiting is all over the place. It's ridiculous. You're right, Sherlock and John are a fantastic example of that. And Dean and Cas from Supernatural, and McGarrett and Danno from Hawaii Five-0, and Jane and Maura from Rizzoli & Isles and so many more f/f m/m partnerships on TV that's dubbed "bromance". Sigh. Queer-Baiting is another big topic I discuss and how harmful it can be.

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2014 at 08:09 PM ----------

Howard and Raj are a great example! I'll be covering shipping in my thesis too and touching upon specifically m/m ships and f/f ships so I will bring up Howard and Raj and how that correlates to the show's "canon." The 'perceived relationship' is something I'll be talking about too, queer-baiting and such and shipping and fanart, fanfiction, fandom etc. It's a big project :lol:

I have heard about Paige (that's Lindsey Shaw, right?) I have a gigantic crush on her too! I don't watch the show, though. Should I? :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2014 at 08:14 PM ----------

Oh! I should have said it doesn't specifically have to be an LGBTQ+ character, but any character really. And/or someone that you perceive could be not-straight or "ship" with another character of the same sex etc.

Oh how I loved Drusilla :icon_bigg

They are some great examples, thank you! I forgot about Marc and Justin from Ugly Betty, thank you for reminding me!

I've never seen Degrassi :eek: all my American and Canadian friends are horrified whenever I bring up that little fact :lol:

#15 Zeevie, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  16. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have your hands full with this! Good luck on your project, I'm sure it will be interesting! :slight_smile:

Yes, Paige is played by Lindsey Shaw and is treated just like the other girls' boyfriends, I love that show. You should check it out! Emily gets into a same-gender relationship pretty quicky, and there are some good parts between her and her mother when she comes out.

I'd say more about my beloved Drusilla, but I still ship her with Spike, my other fave. Teehee.

Justin Suarez has the perfect coming out in the end, he just asks his boyfriend to dance and everyone was happy. ^_^ Plus, the planned coming out part before that was hilarious, what a cute idea.

Really? I feel like no one here even knows about Degrassi. It's more of an underground thing. Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High were mostly good too, they all had their flaws, but in the equality department they did pretty darn good. At one point they had about four LGBT characters on it at one time.

I guess I view these characters as any normal straight person would, I often get involved with them because I think they're cute. XD
    And then I get to love them for other reasons too, possibly, hehe.
    But for us, it's so comforting when we have a character on our favorite show we can relate to in ways we just can't with the strictly straight/cisgender casting that is commonplace.

17. Sorceress of Az

I am not certain,
    Unless "trap" characters in Anime count? I love "trap" characters...

18. Zeevie

Yep, trap characters certainly do count :slight_smile: It is a fascinating concept.

19. ThePhoenix

These

20. AlamoCity

Max from the cancelled series Happy Endings was one of the more refreshing gay TV characters I had ever seen. He really was awesome.