1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BadWolf5, Mar 17, 2014.

1. BadWolf5

I had my first track practice today and we ran like
    3 miles straight. By the end of it I was practically coughing
    up blood. Is that normal? How far can you guys run?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At 13, I could hardly run one lap of my middle school track (1/6 mile) without being out of breath. I've always been a fairly terrible runner. >.<

But as of late, I've gotten a bit better. My last 1.5 mile time was ~14 minutes, which is not great, but leaps and bounds faster than I used to be. Oh, and the farthest I've ever run at once is probably around the 2 mile mark.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait like literally coughing blood?

4. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I run two miles on Saturday and Sunday. I don't particularly enjoy it however.

5. Lipstick Leuger

No, this is not normal. Who's idea was it to run 3 miles right away? You should run/walk this distance for at least for a solid week first until your body gets used to it. Then you should gradually run more and walk less until you can run the whole distance. Just outright running is a really good way to get runners knee! I run and am a Rehab Therapist, take my word for it.

6. apostrophied

I'm surprised you were even able to run three miles straight on your first practice. I wouldn't died.

Start on the treadmill, walk for a bit, then pick up speed, and increase distance/speed a little bit every day or every few days.

7. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The boys track team at my school has 4 hour practices every week, so they do more than that every day basically, which is why they all hate the coach

8. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coughing up blood really isn't normal... I enjoy running as some of the guys who I run with for fun and on the cross country and track teams are hot:icon_bigg but I'm not sure I agree with the super hard first practice. We also had our first practice today and had to run 4 miles. I was the second person back to school but some of the newer kids were really knackered after that and didn't even stretch. The furthest I've ever run at once would be 13 miles in the rain with a guy I have a crush on. It was the greatest run of my life!(!):grin:
    Also, from personal experience, try to get your runs in outside and not on the treadmill. They are really too tight to get any decent running in, they can be bad for your knees, and it's always better to get fresh air.

#8 BlueAndWhite, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  9. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

3 miles straight is my all time best (well, 3.2 miles). This was after months of running. I think I might have asthma.

10. AlamoCity

Coughing up blood is not normal; I suggest you talk to your doctor.

I run, mostly recreationally. I have done 4 half-marathons, so the longest I've ran is 13.1 miles :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I wanna do a full marathon, maybe next February, and an ultra marathon (maybe 50K) once in my life, at least. For training, I use a treadmill, with incline, because the heat in Texas sucks most of the time and I feel safer at a gym (I was once attacked and bitten by two Rottweilers while running so I'll never feel safe running on the streets/roads.

One thing I suggest is to get good running shoes, if you can. I have a pair of New Balance 1260 shoes that provides support because I overpronate and it can cause pain if I wear any regular running shoe without support. I suggest you go to a running store and get fitted for some shoes if you can.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To you and others who mentioned it: the OP did say "practically" and I am guessing hyperbole here. :S