1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you say to homophobic comment?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Renge, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Renge

I heard them a lot lately like "What's wrong with gay? They make the world seems like doesn't have enough women" or "I absolutely wouldn't want a lesbian have a crush on me" or "Because of gay people, the end of the world is getting nearer"
    I really really want to defend the lgbt, but I can't find the right words to make them understand. I only say "Gay people are the same with straight people" or just "That's because you never know them" My reply is useless and they keep saying disgust.

What would you say? In a short and simple sentence with a strong reason, because If I explain in, say, a speech. It sounds like desperate and I will become nervous...

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just simply state "why is that gay"?

Makes the person think about it.

My parents don't really respond when I ask them that question though.

3. Renge

I don't get it, what is "that"? You mean throwing the question back at them why some people gay?

4. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If it's the gay lifestyle or being gay is a choice kinda crap they're on about, just say "so when did you choose to be straight?". Should leave them floundering a while.

Or you could just ask them to justify what they're saying, in which case you'll probably get a selection of bible quotes or "it's icky". Then outline to them how ridiculous their "argument" sounds. Once you actually ask them for rational, legitimate reasons for their homophobia some people might find their well dries up pretty quickly. I mean, if someone's spouting an opinion it's pretty reasonable to ask them why they think that way, and if they don't respond to you it will at least get them to think. Basically, yes- throw the question back at them and see if they can come up with a sensible answer.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not quite. I'm asking what makes something gay when they use it as a pejorative. I.E. describing an action or object as gay. I ask them why to question their choice of words.

For instance if someone is a jerk call them a jerk. Don't use gay as an insulting adjective. I call their word choice into question. That's what I mean.

6. Nikky DoUrden

In the spirit of Kasey first reply, the idea is to make them think about it, because they just blur words that they are used to say without really thinking about it, hiding behind prejeduice.
    If you fire the question back at them to make them revise their point of view and, god forbid, use LOGIC, they might not be able to counter and will stop because it'll make them seem stupid.

him: "Gay will bring the end of the world"
    you: "why?"
    him: "Because ... they are ... gay... and ... the world will end .... if people are gay... because rainbows and stuf...."

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea those rainbows are deadly need to watch out for them...

8. AAASAS

"because of your intolerance, this world has wars, genocide, and discrimination"

"boy I cant wait till you hicks die off and straight-thinking people are the majority"

"did your cousin tell you that when you were on a date?"

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2014 at 11:40 AM ----------

" your parents are brother and sister aren't they?"

"I know everyone should be having children so we can overpopulate the planet and just get it over with quicker"

"don't be mad that gay people find love, and you can't"

"do you kiss your sister with that mouth"

sorry a lot of incest comments, but I find pointing out how degenerate it is to be homophobic works the best, you really can't argue against someone who is comparable to a hill billy.

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2014 at 11:43 AM ----------

I used to imitate whatever homophobic comments I heard from co-workers, or still do, in a Southern in-bred accent, and add to the end "it's gay as hell".

Putting a comment like that in a poor light can expose just how stupid it is.

"Yup mah, those faggots gone done something wrong with this world, it's gay as hell"

9. Nikky DoUrden

oh ok if we are at blurring witty comments then ...

1) do you want cheese with that whine ?
    2) Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.
    3) If I throw a stick, will you leave?
    4) Oh I get it. Like humour, but different.....
    5) Wait a minute - I'm trying to imagine you with a personality.

There are more, which I actually save on my PC in hope to actually use them some day because they are really funny :grin:
    Mostly to use on trolls in video games, but I guess it can be used to shield off trolls in other places too :icon_bigg

10. Hexagon

If I'm simply called queer, I thank them, quite sincerely really.
    If they're just plain aggressive and abusive, I insult back.
    If they're (relatively) civil, but expressing homophobic views, I debate them, and try to change their mind. These kind of people are usually coming from a religious point of view.

11. Villo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When people say being gay is wrong, I simply ask them what they'd do if they had a child who was homosexual him or herself? Would they love them less or even hate them because of a sexual preference? Makes them wonder a bit:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. timo

To "Because of gay people, the end of the world is getting nearer" I would probably say something like "yeah, we're planning an implosion of the Earth in our secret HQ cause we're super evil."

I like to take things lightly, that would throw most off guard when they expect you to react offended :grin:

13. lukeluvznicki13

I would get all ratchet yo

Just kidding :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.
    I would just tell whoever the person is to cut it out and keep those negative comments to himself/herself. I can't get worked up over it, they just need to know that saying negative things about gay people are derogatory and are just wrong.

14. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a t-shirt from the LGBT charity, Stonewall UK. The slogan reads:

"Some people are gay.. get over it"

If I was wearing the t-shirt I just tell em to read it and shove it! I like the slogan anyway.

See picture of the t-shirts via the link https://www.stonewall.org.uk/

15. Meagan

Homosexuality is unnatural, weird, cause half the shit you eat isn't either.

16. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A colleague told me that being gay opened up the field for him when it came to dating women. For every man who is gay, it increased his chances... so he thought. He was kind of pleased that I wasn't competing for the affections of the opposite sex. Quite right too, cos all the handsome men are gay, aren't they?

17. Tarok

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought the best answer to a homophobic comment was a punch in the face. Or a knife to the throat. Things like that.

18. Hiems

Some people simply are attracted to those of the same gender or both genders. No one, regardless of their sexuality, should have to justify their attractions because they are visceral. Consensual relationships should be accepted at face value because they don't tangibly affect those outside of the relationship.
    Just because someone is gay, lesbian, or bi doesn't mean that they're attracted to every single person of the same gender. People have standards. And those who are scared should be flattered but tactfully reject the advances. It's as simple as that.
    The world's population is already pretty high. Underpopulation should be the least of anyone's worries.

19. Hexagon

I always feel quite proud when I hear us queers are destroying the world/civilisation. I mean, that's pretty much god-like power.

20. Oxelotl

If their insult is based in religion I just point out why technically the passages on homosexuality have been wildly misread, based on the original Hebrew and that it's in the old testament and outdated. And if they threaten hell I just point out I"m atheist and say "Threatening me with hell is threatening Adults that Santa won't come"

And if it's not religious I try and reason with them and if it doesn't work then I drop the topic. Simple.