1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone usually get depressed on their birthdays?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ghost93, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every year I enjoy the time me and some friends or family celebrate my birthday, but when it comes to the actual day itself I am almost always somewhat depressed.

It's a combination of several things. Me realizing another year has gone by and I have missed so many opportunities and am nowhere near where I want to be in life. Me knowing that I'm getting older and still don't have a clear direction. And it's also a reminder of how lonely I really am. I wish I was spending this time with a boyfriend I loved, but the truth is that probably won't happen for awhile and very few of my friends know the real me.

It's also frustrating when people text you "Hope you are having an amazing day!" or "Hope it is awesome!" when it is not awesome and the people texting you are putting little effort into trying to spend time with you.

Am I the only one who feels this way, or do any of you have similar experiences on birthdays?

2. biggayguy

At a certain age you are grateful to just keep breathing. 25 freaked me out. I was one quarter of a century. After that it wasn't so bad.

3. Nikky DoUrden

I usually don't really care for my birthday ... just another spin of the earth around the sun since I was born :grin:

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not wild about my birthday these days. One more year closer to the skull orchard. And...there's really nothing much left that's special. I might get a card if I'm lucky. I might get a couple of "happy birthday" e-mails. But I get no party, and the last time I had a birthday cake Bill Clinton was still in his first term.:tears:

5. BelleFromHell

YES, my birthday is a week after Christmas... :astonished:

6. laurenc

laurenc Guest

I do because every year hardly anyone remembers my birthday and I know lots of people. my birthday is just a day remembered by some of my family and very few friends :frowning2: .

7. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I skip out on school and sleep. I hate birthdays. Big whoop, another year.

8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes, the last couple of birthdays were pretty rough for me. Birthday before last I was at my Mom's house for the night and she had a TIA, or Mini-stroke at 3AM and fell of the toilet. She tried for an hour to get up by herself and fail before she called for my step-dad and I. My step-dad and I got her up and offered to call the hospital but she refused, so I went back to bed and cried myself to sleep.

Then this past birthday was my first birthday without my Mom, she passed away 3 months after the birthday in which she had her stroke.

My parents' divorce was also finalized on my 15th birthday, so that one kinda sucked as well

9. BelleFromHell

Half the people I know forget my birthday, and it's on Jan. 1st! :eusa_doh:

10. ImHappy247

Out Status:
    All but family
    This year was the first time I felt really happy on my birthday and thats really weird cause I was kind of alone (only family and one friend cause of the ''war'' that is going here in Venezuela) but I think I was just happy that I actually was getting closer to the life I wanted. Since september of 2013 I've been coming out to a lot of people and with that came this feeling of freedom that I could actually be who I wanted to be, some people even say I became a little bit too gay but who cares? Makes me happy. But yeah, before this year every birthday sucked cause I know how it feels when you're like ''Im supposed to be happy but Im not. Whats wrong with me?''

11. C P

C P

Considering my granddad and I share a birthday, ever since he passed years ago it has been pretty blah, because we would celebrate it together.

Otherwise I'm not the kind of person who likes to be in full-on celebration mood for their birthday so, aside from the 'happy birthday's and whatever others like to get/have for me, I usually prefer to spend it doing my own thing.

12. apocalypse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents always try to make a big deal out of my birthday. To me it's just another day i can spend at school learning. There is nothing special about birthdays. It's not where you just wake up and suddenly your body springs into action BECAUSE IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!!!

On the other hand, I hate growing up. I despise it. I am fighting it with tooth and nail. I'm 16 now, and I'm still so young, but I really long for the days when I was 11, 12, and 13. I miss them so much. Completely carefree. Slept all I wanted.

But birthdays are wearing. They just remind you that your time is ticking away and you've escaped the grim reaper another year :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually have great birthdays but when I was little I'd get sensory overload and such and would run to my bedroom and actually cry because I was so overwhelmed. I was like 9ish...

But now birthdays mean a free meal and drinks with friends. Yea boyeee!

14. Khan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Birthdays are usually quite disappointing. Either someone fights with me or my family members fight with each other and it's just generally over quite quickly and just gives me unwanted attention.
    I did have some nice birthdays as well though, but generally they are not so nice. Not too bad either, though.

15. katwat

I remember getting ready to turn 10 and making the realization that I would never again be in the single digits. I have always had a feeling of the heaviness of the passing of time since then. I have also had oral surgery on my birthday and stitches from abdominal surgery removed on my birthday so those sucked. I have had to work on my birthday far too often but when I was in school and now that I homeschool my kiddo birthdays were/are a free day. My sisters is five years older than I am so I always get a warning light and a half decade long prep for turning the big nasty decades. The very very worst birthday depression I ever had was when I turned 32 and was still not a mom. It was a HUGE big nasty horrible crappy day. The next year was awesome though as I was 8 months preggers. I have never had a really bad birthday since. Now I dread the kiddos as they come too quickly and she is growing up far far too fast.

16. apostrophied

Yeah, me. Because my birthday doesn't really get celebrated since my family has no money, and I don't ask for anything because I'd feel guilty asking since there's no money... I try not to show it, but I do end up resenting that. I did get taken out for a small lunch with my mom this year though, that made me happy.

Also because it's yet another year that I'm single. Sounds pathetic, but it really does affect me deep down inside.

So yeah, birthdays make me a bit sad.

17. Emulator

Last birthday, I stayed up the day before just to see 2 hours into my birthday. It didn't feel much different from a usual day. Nobody said anything much. They probably forgot.

18. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I just turned 20 yesterday. I just went home and cried. I can't believe I'm so old now.

So yes, birthdays are depressing.

19. Abbra

For some reason, I don't feel depressed on my birthday. However, I pretty much always feel depressed on New Years Eve for the same reasons. I have to force myself to do something on New Years every year because I will relapse if I don't.

This years birthday is going to be hard though. I'm going to be 20, and I still haven't accomplished much. The older I'm getting, the more inadequate I feel.

20. ThePhoenix

I usually get depressed when its just me celebrating my birthday alone with maybe a cupcake. I need friends to hangout with, heck my mom is usually the only one that acknowledges my birthday (except for Facebook it reminds people). I don't expect gifts or cards but a phone call or even a text message never hurt anyone.