1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American complacency

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theMaverick, Mar 19, 2014.

1. theMaverick

So...I have been thinking this for a while. Does it seem to anyone else that we Americans are way too complacent? The government (and large corporations) is/are doing things to the American people that in other countries people are fighting and dying to prevent.

Examples
    NSA Spying
    Congress can't or won't do their jobs
    Chemicals used in and on our foods that the rest of the world bans (lack of trust in the FDA/USDA) (Chemicals banned in Europe still make their way into US foods ? RT USA)
    People being attacked for trying to live differently (Arlington SWAT Team Raids Commune Looking for Weed, Finds Only Hippies and Tall Grass) as an example
    Increasing police brutality and other police abuse (Kansas ‘retaliation’ bill would allow police to arrest people who complain about officers | The Raw Story)
    Corporations running rampant over the environment

You get the point. I'm not even reaching into conspiracy here, I'm just showing you hard facts about things that are happening. Why are we so complacent?

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 12:33 PM ----------

Also, please note I am not calling for violence in anyway. I'm just saying.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 12:37 PM ----------

Never mind on-going legal discrimination against LGBTQ people, women, immigrants, and many other people from segments of society.

2. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Even just north of the boarder we think you all are a bit much (but aren't much better) though we have the worlds best maple syrup, the Montreal Canadiens and "same sex marriage" (in reality I just call it marriage but a tad harder getting my point across in text)

3. Simple Thoughts

Americans are selfish consumers.

We've been raised to buy buy buy and then buy some more. We dont' care about other people, we don't care about other things. As long as we can get the newest i-thingymawhatsit the rest of the world can go burn in hell for all we care.

We're a pathetic lot. :frowning2:

4. theMaverick

What?

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 12:43 PM ----------

Sadly I agree. I just wish there was some peaceful method for change. The only people who propose change seem to propose violence and that's not necessary nor will it help.

5. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

You think the US has better Maple Syrup?!

(I was just listing a few of Canada's pro's, we don't have a lot of them...)

6. Simple Thoughts

The solution is simple...

Stop consuming. If the American people stopped feeding the corporations, the corporations would collapse. End of story.

7. theMaverick

8. Simple Thoughts

Sounds interesting. Really, I'd personally just like to see people be more responsible with what they have. We have the tools, technology, and means to take care of each other and take care of the planet...we just don't use them that way because we're all too selfish -.-'

9. theMaverick

I agree. Back-to-the-land is only part of my plan. I really like the idea of having a small community of people who all work together to provide what they need, take care of each other and all that. So we're saying the same thing, I think. Maybe different ways, but the same goal.

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is what the French do when fuel prices increase too much..

[​IMG]

11. Techno Kid

Love the French!

12. Simple Thoughts

Yeah seems like we're on the same page ^^

13. Foxface

We live in a crappy, selfish, individualistic society whose only concern is me, me, me. That's what happens here. I am not saying collectivist cultures cannot be selfish but look at what we've become here...it's sad and it can be seen in every macro and micro transaction that takes place throughout the day. From terrible government invasions all the way down to every ***** driver who feels that their journey is more important than the journey of everyone else. It's all around us almost every minute. Myself included! I've been selfish on many occasions. I want to stop but that is something I am working on now through my own personal work.

14. Hexagon

I won't speak as to the character of the american people. Yes, they do have a reputation for excess, but you might be surprised to find that the rest of the developed world isn't much better. I have a particular concern about the environment, and though european governments make token attempts to tackle climate change, they're doing nothing, and they won't do anything helpful. People only do things that are convenient. The real problem is the culture of consumption. Of excess. People are only happy when the economy grows, and growth requires consumption of resources that simply won't exist forever. My personal (and non-scientific) observations are that when people get money, they spend it instantly and unwisely on material things they don't need. My friend makes enough money in a month that I'd be able to survive on pretty happily, and she spends it within a week.

I like the return to the land thing. I don't actually have any land. We live in a rented house with a paved yard. I do grow a bit of veg in pots - onions on my windowsill currently. But it isn't enough.

Basically, our civilisation and society is destroying the planet. And it won't change. And it isn't just americans.

EDIT: Foxface, your post reminded me of something I read recently. "No raindrop feels responsible for the entire flood," said to someone complaining about traffic. This detour has no point.

15. Simple Thoughts

This.

16. Stingray

Stingray Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Complacency could be our downfall. As long as we have what we need or want, we don't care much about the next person. Also, many feel powerless to take a stand.

17. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Posting as an outsider here, so I'd be interested to know what people in the US think...

I think, since 9/11, the US has become a more paranoid nation that sees itself under attack from all corners and has gone into overkill with intelligence. The reaction to what happened in New York that day has led to some fairly catastophic decision making, that the government here in the UK has been a party to as well, I'm sorry to say. We've certainly got our own :***: to deal with regarding government snooping, illegal phone tapping, rogue newspapers, crooked cops and cover ups, but we're also too keen to indulge the US government with information in the name of trans-atlantic partnership working. How much of the information gathered and shared is even relevant to national security in either country is questionable though.

Of course, a response to 9/11 was necessary to protect innocent people from further atrocities, but when governments start monitoring and spying on their own citizens on the scale we've seen recently, something is very wrong... and when you start monitoring the phone usage of the German Chancellor you're gonna spark a fairly serious diplomatic issue. Maybe that's what it takes though to provoke attention and outrage?

18. theMaverick

The French, they really know how to do it.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 03:18 PM ----------

I completely agree. Everything is geared to more more more and it doesn't make people happy or healthy or fulfilled.

19. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While I don't completely disagree with you, I've got a couple points on your first two examples:

1. The NSA has gotten out of control, and things need to be a little more transparent. However, they are still needed.

2. As for Congress, it's a mess right now, but legislation was never intended to just fly through both the House and Senate.

20. Simple Thoughts

1.) Why? Why are they still needed? Why does America think it needs ( or even has the right ) to watch everyone on planet earth?

2.) Legislation wasn't intended to do that, but it also wasn't intended to be entirely dependant on whether or not corporations give a bill the thumbs up ^^