1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the science behind law breakers?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wolfxinxchains, Mar 19, 2014.

1. wolfxinxchains

so today I learned that most law breakers have double Y chromosomes, also known as super male! women have XX chromosomes, men have XY chromosomes, and some law breakers even have YY chromosomes. ( or it's XYY ) This is actually considered a birth defect, which can either be a heredity thing or something called a 'spontaneous mutation/defect' Which I find pretty interesting!!

2. apostrophied

Pretty sure it's XYY, you couldn't live without an X chromosome. I've heard of this effect too. It's interesting, but really only a small piece of the puzzle.

3. AlamoCity

Also, many earlier studies on prisoners basically had the sample who were caught or targeted by (discriminatory) policies. They were inherently biased and therefore not good studies on why people were "criminal."

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That cannot POSSIBLY be accurate...otherwise it would be a birth defect common in almost every person in the world. Unless you and I have significantly different definitions of 'law breakers'

5. wolfxinxchains

My definition of law breakers are basically people that go to jail and such. My big brother told me about it today and I think it's really awesome in a weird way!

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then yeah, there is just no physical way that can be accurate.

Remember we set laws because it's convenient to do so. Heck I'd say there probably isn't a person on this board who hasn't broken some law or another, we just haven't been caught yet.

7. wolfxinxchains

good point. but as long as people understand the general term of law breaker then its all good right?

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's good to assume that people with a certain chromosomal abnormality are more predisposed towards crime? No, that is definitely NOT good.

9. Sarcastic Luck

Not every person in jail is a lawbreaker and not all lawbreakers go to jail.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And the law is flexible and accords to biases, meaning that there's no reasonable way to biologically accord the law to genes.

I find this pretty ridiculous. The law is so relative and some laws contradict others (even in the same jurisdiction). What even is the law in this context? It's so changeable that you can't just say "the law." Is someone defying the Saudi Religious Police of a similar genetic nature to someone who goes to gaol for shoplifting or even a minor offence like jaywalking? A person's willingess to break with the authorities depends on so many circumstances that even in situations where biology might come into it it would be unreasonable to conclude genetic predisposition.

11. Ruthven

What a great source. :rolle:

This totally.

12. Gen

Gen

Exactly. Although some studies have begun to show possible connections between criminals genetically (Though definitely not as extreme as chromosome variation), criminal and otherwise malicious behaviors are formed as a result of environmental, psychological attributes in the overwhelming majority of cases. Science has not truly found a "crime/homicide" gene.

Nor should it. I don't believe anyone could actually argue that finding such information wouldn't lead to great inhumanities.

13. Hexagon

There are about a million different things that can land a person in jail. Most of them illegal, but not all of them immoral.

14. apostrophied

I don't think "lawbreakers" is the right term. More like "violent offenders.". The MAO-A gene is another example of this. It makes people more prone to violence and in some cases, can result in them committing violent crimes.

15. Nikky DoUrden

Here is your answer :thumbsup: