1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you care for dress shoes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Mar 19, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

I bought my first pair of dress shoes since I was in high school because I felt I needed some that were my own. I use a cedar shoe-tree to keep them from getting those creases they get when they're not take care of, and also polish them by hand with carnauba wax that I bought direct from the shoe manufacturer (Allen Edmonds) and polish them with a horse hair brush. My dad only polishes as needed so that's probably what I will do too. I really prefer to

How do you care for dress shoes?

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just the good old polish and brush. That and I don't wear them very often

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I don't care for dress shoes.

Haha but srsy, I was in JROTC in high school, for my sparkly black military issue shoes, I had to break out the wax shoe polish and get them shiny as could be, a single blemish meant kept getting screamed at by a drill sergeant. So perhaps that's part of the reason why I actually don't care for dress shoes. :grin:

The last pair of dress shoes I bought was for graduation two years ago. I'm not sure if I've ever worn them since. Unless you wear them often, they shouldn't become too scuffed up, and so I would agree, just polish them if and when they need it.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, either your ROTC was hardcore, or mine was chill. I got through all four years (eventually as a top-ranking staff member no less) and only ever used a quick-shine sponge before inspections. It wasn't until attending the police academy recently that I began to really care for shoe shining, and you really can make them gleam with regular old Kiwi polish.

A new trick I learned today though to add to regular polish: tire shine. It's not the most durable or longest-lasting shine, but all day after applying it, my boots looked like the hood of a black luxury car.

5. Hexagon

*blink* *blink*

You need to care for dress shoes?

I don't believe I've touched the shoes I wore to my grandfather's funeral in two years.

6. AlamoCity

There are those whose dress shoes/boots are part of their uniform and must be kept in pristine condition. For business type dress shoes they are also part of a "uniform" of sorts, I suppose.

Quality leather dress shoes can last for over a decade and can even be taken to the cobbler or manufacturer to be recrafted for a fee and returned to near pristine condition. Calfskin and horse leather shoes (i.e. shell cordovan) can be an investment that will be cheaper than buying bargain shoes that need to be replaced on an annual or more basis, but they need to be maintained. The key is care; my dad has shoes that are nearly as old as me but still work, even if its for "muddy days."

7. Hexagon

Mine are synthetic.

8. AlamoCity

Ah yes, I suppose being a vegan and using leather products is a big no-no. That's one of the many reasons why it'd be difficult for a vegan to date me. Besides consuming meat and animal products, I love leather, silk, lambswool, and cashmere products :lol:.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found some really good dress shoes which are vegan from Italy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: They're better to maintain than leather, and they don't absorb smells. :lol:

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's going to depend on how often they are worn. If you don't wear dress shoes very often, even a cheep pair will last for more than a decade.

11. Hexagon

I go to extreme lengths to avoid dressing formally. I plan on a casual wedding lol.

12. Nikky DoUrden

I have only one pair of shoes .. for everything :grin:

13. EatYourRikkios

Ack, you too?! I was so happy I could have cried my second year of JROTC; the girls skirts finally came in, and I could get heels to go with them rather than the regular shoes. They were so much easier to care for! They didn't scuff nearly as much.

So far as care for them... shoe polish and a rag. Spit shining does not work as well as the movies imply. :dry: Poor, naive fourteen-year-old me... *snickers*