1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to wear with boat shoes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by franc, Mar 20, 2014.

1. franc

I got a new boat shoe from co-worker for my birthday and he expects me to wear it but I just don't know what to wear with it. I haven't worn one. I'm not really dressy--I'm the t-shirt, jeans, sneakers guy. Btw, it's leather and brown.

2. AlamoCity

I wear boat shoes half the time (the other time I'm wearing Crocs :grin:). Personally, I wear them with khaki/chino shorts or pants of every color under the rainbow and a collared shirt (polo or oxford). I personally consider this casual, but apparently it's a little too "dressy" for some, including some of my friends, haha.

If you want to wear them more casually, try looking at this blog I just found. It has examples of boat shoes worn in a more casual form. How To Wear...Boat Shoes | These & Those.

I suppose that since they're brown leather, don't wear black clothing, especially pants. There's something about black and brown mixed together that looks odd to me.

3. couragetobeme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sort of 'soft butch', I guess you could say, so I feel I can contribute some here, FWIW.
    Just broke out my barely-used pair for the season... a sunny 66 degrees in Texas today. I'll typically wear them with jeans and a 3/4 sleeve button down shirt (today with my token lesbian flannel print shirt). :wink:
    I also like wearing them with sort of mid-length shorts. It took some getting used to, when I first got them, so I think part of figuring out what to wear them with is just getting comfortable with something new.

4. tscott

Boat shoes are worn with anything you'd wear sailing. They are casual , but can be worn with khakis and a blazer. Do not wear socks!!! Maybe in the fall ragwool socks, but only at the marina.

5. Poe

Poe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Down here they are worn with everything. I've seen girls wear them with dresses even. Whatever you do don't wear them without socks. Smelly shoes breed stinky feet. Invest in some invisible socks!

6. AlamoCity

Just like with any pair of shoes, don't wear the same pair two days in a row; letting them air out and dry should help with any smell problem.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wear my Sperry's with anything! I'd say you could wear them with whatever you wanted.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've owned the traditional Sperry top siders, but not the colored ones, though I like the two-tone brownish ones.

I've never worn them with shorts. I typically wear tennis shoes or flip flops with shorts.
    Instead, I have worn Sperry top siders with jeans almost 100% of the time, and with t-shirts, polo type shirts, or college sweatshirts along with the jeans. I have worn them without socks, when warm, and with socks, when cool or cold. I don't see socks as being a problem with boat shoes and I've seen lots of people wear them with socks. The socks just need to work with what you are combining.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say be daring, and wear them with tight leather pants, and a leopard print top.

Don't just blend in down at the Marina, be the talk of it.

10. Tongue Flicker

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not to sound prejudicial but in here, it is easy to spot a gay guy or a bi guy when he wears boat shoes.

11. apostrophied

Lol you're funny.

I'd add that if you're going to try wearing them without socks, make sure they're real leather. Pleather is a 100% chance for stinky shoes for me, at least. Or if you go with the wise piece of advice that Husky Pup gave you, I'm pretty sure Crocs make boat shoes, and they are obviously washable. At least that way you can be sure they will be talking about your style, not your scent.

#11 apostrophied, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With Capri pants (shpants?) and a striped sailor's T-shirt, with scarf, of course! :grin:

13. justjade

I wear skinny jeans with mine. You can basically wear any shirt. Don't go with style rules too much. That's boring. Unless, of course, you're OK with sticking to style rules, in which case, I say, go for it. I like to wear graphic tees with mine. I have two pairs, one tan, one brown, so I don't wear black t-shirts with them. I like to inject some color into my outifts, so I wear a colored tee.

I know this isn't something guys usually do, but I encourage you to play around with them, incorporating them into outfits you normally wear, and see what works for you. In order to make them most comfortable for you, don't go all out and buy a bunch of new stuff to go with them. You might feel like you're trying too hard. The best way to wear a new article of clothing is to pair it with things you're already comfortable wearing.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

14. 19EmKay90

I consider them summer wear. They go well with chino type shorts in the better weather.

15. Skov

With chino type shorts. If you want to look like the frat guys around here, throw a polo on top and some sunglasses.

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think that's entirely accurate. I've met a bunch of straight guys who wear Sperry's, especially when they dress up and hate traditional dress shoes. Also, I'm thinking that there are at least a few metrosexual guys who wear Sperry's.

17. AlamoCity

I think that it depends where you live. Here in the United States, Sperry's are quite popular among all sexual orientations. I also see then a lot on college campuses.

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I do the male thing I wear Sperrys all the time with a shirt and khakis to work to look professional. My students love them (All orientations and genders).

People say you can wear them with jeans. Might not be my thing but I see that all the time in casual wear as well.

19. TidMaskin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I totally agree with you! :icon_bigg Can't not to bump this old thread because this type of shoes is one of my the most favourite :slight_smile: And yeah, they can be worn with everything, I think it one the most universal types of shoes :rolle: Here's on stylemann many examples of combining different types of clothes with them, every example is cool in its own way :slight_smile:
    For example, I adore such combinations the most of all :rolle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]