1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender policing hurts kids

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Jul 19, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  2. Tim

Tim

Wow. o.o

Guess I was lucky, I used to love dolls when I was little, and my mom accepted that, granted, yes, I AM gay, but that wasn't part of it =P I also loved Power Rangers, Batman, etc =P

I think it's stupid when parents do things like that, kids like what they like, you can't change their mind. >_>; You just hurt them in the long run.

3. Nick

To me it almost seems like a form of sexism, not allowing boys to pick up dolls...

What is this "loved", past tense business, eh?... Blasphemy !! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (I still like them...)

4. Étoile

Well, I played with Barbie dolls when I was younger but I had a lot more Power Rangers and X-Men action figures that I played with more often.

A lot of times, parents restrict their kids to gender-specific things with good intentions because of society's views on what's right and what's wrong. Just because Eric's parents are open-minded doesn't mean that Ben's, Jesse's, Mark's, and Chris's parents are.

5. Helen

Helen Guest

Eeh, I was fairly girly in my youth. But I certainly would not force my children to only like 'things for girls' or 'things for boys', if I had children. I don't think I'd care if their friends' parents weren't as open minded as I was, I would encourage my child to be whoever they wanted, and try and teach their friends to be whoever THEY wanted. :frowning2:

6. Tim

Tim

Loved can mean past tense or not :astonished: If you read one of my more recent threads in Ent. + Tech. Forum, I'm still a fan of Power Rangers :wink:

7. Hoppip

I always did gender neutral things - drawing pictures, creating things.

I liked creating things, because there were no guidelines.

And I played the Sims - a completely 'androgynous' game in my opinion.

I think that gender policing is really... annoying, I s'pose.

8. TheSuburbian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had no patience for almost anything when I was younger (ADHD), lol. So I really wasn't policed much.

9. xxAngelOnFirexx

my parents let me play with dinosaurs instead of dolls. i'm happy they let me be the tom-boy i am.

10. jazzrawr

I was a huge tomboy as a kid. HUUGGEE. I wouldn't let my parents even take me near anything girly XD I always played in the mud...and I liked to pretend to be Tarzan XD
    Yeah, i was wierd. >.<
    I've changed a bit since then. But my childhood made me who I am...Gender policing is ridiculous. Let kids grow up to be who they want to be.

11. darkestknight

I hate those gender-conditioning shit. They are really that paranoid??

When I was a little kid, I played with toy guns, legos, electronic hobby kits (yeah they are fun!), ... and also some teatime sets. That didn't make me too less of a man. :slight_smile:

12. Jace

mmm when i was younger i played with dolls, but i also played with cars (i had tonssss of toy cars, lol, but i also had all of the spice girls dolls :slight_smile:)

i could probably still name all of the cars i have

13. Kimi

I was weird kid I think lol

I played with dolls, played house with girls, I even had a hello kitty kitchen to play with:lol: But at the same time, I liked to play with mud, cars and some hero figures and etc.

I can't believe they let me get that kitty kitchen thing lol It was pink!!

14. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Gender freedom starts at home, and with teh kiddies! Let them be themselves!

15. Derek the Wolf

That's ridiculous. Men and women should learn gender roles, but if a kid is gay, you can't change that. He/she still needs to learn how to be a father/mother and how to act in a social environment. I guess these people have made up their minds in the nature vs. nurture argument. I'd disagree with them...