1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very morbid question...do you want to die alone or surrounded?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Foxface, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Foxface

I am sorry if this is morbid but I was always wondering. When you go, do you want to be surrounded by loved ones? friends? Or would you prefer to be alone?

I have to say I kind of want to be alone to be honest. I am not even 100% sure why but I know that I have a strong preference for facing challenges by myself on my time so I guess that factors into it

is that wrong of me? Selfish? I have no clue

sorry to cast a bad light on happy topics but I was really curious about this and wanted to see what others thought

2. Simple Thoughts

I'm at a toss up here.

I'd want to die alone because then I could kid myself into thinking that no one would be devastated at my loss ( not like in a depressing I'm alone way, more of a my death won't bring pain kinda deal ya know? ) So that thought would be nice.

At the same time. I wouldn't mind dying with people around to. It might be nice to spend your last few moments surrounded by people who cared about you. Knowing that your life meant something to someone before its over. ^^

3. White Knight

We born alone and will die in the same way. The time we spent with others in between is what the makes life worth living.

4. animequeen567

I'm also stuck. I would like to be surrounded by my friends, but at the same time I want to die alone. I am also weird in the sense that I don't want to die in the traditional sense. I kind of want it to be some kind of accident or someone else killed me (is that weird? I hope it's not weird.)

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would rather not think about it, thank you very much

6. Yosia

I wont die!! ^o^

Or if i do for some strange reason then i would want a final kiss with a loved one to be the last thing i do~ *cry*

7. Simple Thoughts

That's a beautiful thought =3

8. Hexagon

I don't really care. I won't remember after it's done.

Okay, I'm editing this now. I think I'd rather be alone. My grandfather died a couple of years back, and was dying for about a year before then. He had cancer. It was horribly unpleasant. I watched him become sicker and sicker. I wasn't there at the end because I had my GCSEs to do. But I know it was very painful. He was surrounded by people who loved him, but was more or less unable to speak to them. I don't want this.

When my time is up, assuming I will die of illness rather than violence or accident, I will do everything I need and want to, say goodbye to everyone I need to, then go find myself a cliff. Alone. I've always been a solitary person, and I feel most comfortable on my own. I doubt this will change. I'd like to experience my last moments of the world alone.

I will be rather upset if this happens within the next fifty years though. More than that, I can accept.

#8 Hexagon, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  9. lchristopher13

I feel like I'd rather die alone because then no one will even notice I'm gone. But then again, it seems like a sad thought, you know?

10. Nikky DoUrden

I wanna live with friends and people I love, about dying I care less :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Foxface

sooo you posted here why?

Anyway...I guess you'll either leave a lasting mark or you won't. I am moving into a more Zen life these days and I love it. I honestly have been thinking lately that I just don't care if I leave a mark. I existed, I had my life and it has been great. That's my legacy and when I am moments away I can cheerfully remind myself of that

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL, Foxy, I'm sorry, but regardless of how many people are around you at the time (not to mention how you feel about it), you'll be facing this challenge by yourself! Even if you all die together, you'll be facing the challenge by yourself. Actually, in those circumstances, dying isn't even really a challenge...at that point staying alive is the hard part.

I'd prefer to have someone very close with me...my partner; a close friend or two. It would be nice to have reassurance that someone cared and that I'd not lived in vain...and to have a final chance to share in my final moments.

"Surrounded" sounds terrible! Like I could die of suffocation before I died of whatever I was dying from. Also, I think I'd find myself preoccupied with who wasn't there, and what that meant...and that would ruin the moment for me. *smile*

13. Foxface

Very philosophical. And yet a darn good point. I guess even with the whole world around you are still alone...that is a good point

14. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it that ironic that someone who identifies as an asexual demiromantic pansexual (or anyone else posting on this site, really) would be concerned about whether their preferences for how they die are considered weird. Weird is *good* here, no??

For that matter, isn't it weird enough that we're even *discussing* our preferences for how we die?

15. Foxface

Well you know I admit this thread is a bit selfish. I've come to the realization that we all have needs and for me I honestly still have a fear of death and I've found that talking things out that I fear really helps

and I have to thank all of you who are responding here. I think it's healthy to see a community of people that generally has the strength to discuss these topics

And no it wasn't all for me, it was like 90% curiousity and about 10% selfish and wanting to discuss it

I think for me it isn't death that scares me it's disability...on an existential level that is where my fear probably lies

16. Cubiculum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From a serious point of view, I'd want to die alone. Because if other people (your relatives, your best friends) are with you, they will most likely be crying and I can't imagine a more depressing moment than you being on your death bed with nothing but crying around you. While if you're alone you can literally rest in peace without any extra depression right before you die.

From a comedic point of view, I'd want people to be around me so I could say something like "Before I go, you need to know something. You know I had a great job, right? Well, half the money I kept in a huge safe in case of emergencies. I've never told anyone where it is... until now. It's in" then you die. Great timing if that happened :grin: Or you could say something to leave people in eternal confusion like "Can you hear it? The drumming? The never-ending drumming. Getting closer, and closer, and closer..." (DW fans will know what I mean)

17. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alone, lets face it if you are dieing with loved ones around then you and everyone around you knows that you are about to die. Whether it's a long battle with cancer or you have been clinging to life for a couple days because you got hit by a bus everyone knows you are about to die. I'm sorry but I don't want my last moments to be spent seeing the people I love trying to hold back tears. Let them remember me as full of life not dieing in a hospital bed.

18. Cubiculum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My thoughts exactly :thumbsup:

19. tscott

Hmmmmm. BiAnnika's certainly right that Death is a challenge we face alone regardless of who is or isn't with you. Some of you may know I'm an only, and both parents died in their sleep so I never was with either of them. Daddy died of a massive coronary at 47 and I was away at school. Mummy had brain, cancer and we had months to be together and talk. She died the day after my birthday in hospice. I would prefer I died in my sleep like my mother with time to talk and say the things we'd want to say to one another. My father had no warning and it was great way to die for him, though much too young, but horrible for Mummy and me.

In any event, it's rather silly even to contemplate when we can't know when we'll pass.

20. Foxface

Well I am sorry for your losses. I feel for you having many losses of my own. May I ask though why it is silly to contemplate the end? I mean I could understand if a person obsessed over it, but to discuss it openly? Why is that silly?

I realize that we are online and cannot protray tone..but I am asking this in a very rational and curious way. Not at all meant to make fun of you for saying your statement