1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haircuts! :]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Alexander

K'so I really really need a haircut. But I have no idea what would look good on me. I'm thinking of going shorter, but I really don't know. Can a few of you fashionistes pop over to my gallery and give me some ideas? thanks :slight_smile:

2. Beebo

I wanted to get a fauxhawk, but Dan told me he would shoot me :O. hahaha. I think I'll get one just to spite him.

3. berileos

berileos Guest

I think you could try color your hair,red maybe.I wanted to,but they told me I shouldn't.Anyway don't listen to me...

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had two really really good haircuts in my life. Each time, I went to the hair salon, found a guy (or woman) who looked like he knew what he was doing, asked him to cut my hair, and when he asked me how I wanted it cut, I said...

"You're the expert. Do what you think might look good."

And it's true. These people know faces, heads, and hair. They can usually figure out what will look good on top of my head better than I could. I do give them a little guidance, though. "I'm over 30, so not a mohawk or anything. And I don't like to futz with it too much in the morning, so nothing that's really high-maintenance."

...I'm gonna start doing it all the time now. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. Blue0090

Blue0090 Guest

I think a spiky mohawkish would look good on you. kinda like my haircut

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, I've tried that and the people I've said it to just look at me blankly and still seem to require step-by-step direction. Maybe I haven't lucked into finding people who are actually good at what they do.

I loathe getting my hair cut because I haven't had a regular, good hair stylist/person for like years so it's always totally hit or miss. And I don't even change my hairstyle that much (maybe even at all) but I do know the difference between a good haircut and a bad one.

Alexander, I'm definitely not an expert but the fauxhawk thing seems a bit overdone at the moment (at least it is here in Vancouver). I guess it depends on how much part of the crowd you wanna be.

I agree, though, that you could go shorter... I'd just say don't go too short. If you go shorter, get them to leave enough so you can do spiky things with your hair.

One thing I do try to do is look through the hairstyle picture books that salons generally have, find a hairstyle I like, make sure my face is not vastly different from the face of the person with the hairstyle that caught my eye, and then I'll say, "Give me that." But it's definitely crucial to realise not everyone looks good in all hairstyles. Like I've always had a really high forehead (thanks Mum! *rolls eyes*) so I tend to try to steer away from really short short styles because I'm always self-conscious about it and think that people will think my hair's receding. One of my friends (a woman) has a round face so she has her hair long to balance that (generally long hair lengthens how you look, whereas if you have a round face and you get a short cut, it can make your face look rounder).

Probably the most important thing to realise is that it's hair... no matter how bad a hair disaster you might stumble into, it'll grow out. Or you can get it re-cut (if you haven't gotten it cut really, really short).

But it's definitely easier to get away with more outrageous hair when you're younger, so if you see anything crazy that you really like, I encourage you to try it out. Just remember what I'd like to tell everyone: there is plenty of time to shave your head (if you're a guy) when you're older and balding, so why waste the time you actually have hair to play with by getting it cut to nothing? Guys should always appreciate their hair because a lot of them aren't gonna get to keep it!

7. -Michael-

Short at the back...long at the sides and top (make sure it blends in)

Thin your hair out loads...

Spike it up at the back...striaghten the sides down...

have the top leaning to one side...

So long as you dont dress in dark colours....you wont be an emo :slight_smile:

8. TheSuburbian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    xD That sounds sexy. Emos are cute though D:

9. -Michael-

OF COURSE IT SOUNDS SEXY I THOUGHT OF IT...

And my hair is similar...and i love my hair...

Even though it does need cutting again :grin:

10. Alexander

so I ended up just giving myself an almost-buzz cut...
    and I think it looks sorta cute...
    I've been told I look like a young Derek Magyar. :grin:

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with that - as someone who now has to go for the short look for that reason (number 8 for most of it, number 4 for the balding bit). :frowning2:

12. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For the life of me I'd like to be able to manage a longer haircut (as in midlength normal fauxhawk length) not necessarily a fauxhawk but that length. But I just can't maintain it. My hair always goes frizzy.

So even though there's plenty of time for it when I'm older and going bald, I've started using a #4 clipper all around. It actually paid for itself in two haircuts, but I was surprised at the compliments I've gotten.

I agree with the other posters. If you like any exotic haircuts, now's the time to get them.