1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels, etc.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rmds, Mar 22, 2014.

1. rmds

So I posted another thread saying that, after recently realizing my sexuality, I'm still having a hard time referring to myself as gay. Even to myself, it's weird to look in the mirror and be like, "I'm a lesbian!" I think it has more to do with the label than it does with the word "lesbian." Because it also feels weird to say, "I'm homosexual," or "I'm gay." BUT... it feels refreshingly easy to say, "I LIKE GIRLS!"

So it got me thinking... Why do there have to be labels for sexuality? Why does there have to be a name for what you are? Why can't you just say I like boys, or I like girls, or I like all people. I think I get hung up on the fact that we have to CALL it something.

2. I personally don't believe in labels, i'm just a dude who happens to like other dudes. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it the opposite really. I found it easier to say "I'm gay" than to say "I like men". But I see where your coming from.

4. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I know what you mean. For a long time I thought I have to fit in the labels so I tried hard to be so that I can label myself. Now I know I just call myself lesbian that others can understand what I am. I'm just a person that likes girls and that thing is called lesbian:slight_smile:

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something that people in the gender queer/trans debate about too.

But personally labels are for soup cans. However as a human species we like to categorize things and labels allow us to do that with ease. Imagine being unable to use adjectives or pronouns.

I'm getting a little off topic but, the point is that you label yourself as much or as little as you see fit.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The first time I found it hard to get use too it takes a while to get use to being a lesbian
    I've found it two weeks after realizing I'm a lesbian it was easy for me to say i'm a lesbian . but if you can't use it yet you don't have too

7. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

:thumbsup:

8. Paisley

I honestly can't say I'm trans, its really hard. It's so much easier to just say "I'm a girl". Idk, labels are hard sometimes.

9. BelleFromHell

I don't like labels too much either.
    People ask me all the time if I'm a "butch" or "femme" lesbian.
    Why can't I just be a lesbian? Why do I have to choose between two catagories I don't fit into? Why can't I be in the middle? :astonished:

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I like labels I think it's up to the person if they want to use it or not it shouldn't be a requirement

11. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

It took me years and years to say any labels on myself.. You don't need to label anything........