1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does hair color change under different lights?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Mar 22, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

I always thought I had pitch black hair but looking at pictures under certain lighting conditions, it looks like my hair has a tinge of brown. Can sunlight make black hair appear "lighter?"

Do you notice your hair shade changes based on the lighting conditions?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Mine does. I can go anywhere from dark brown to dirty blond depending on the light. Color and strength of light catches different tones.

3. Wiiluigi1998

Wiiluigi1998 Guest

I think that your hair just appears to change because of lighting. I believe that lots of sunlight exposure can brighten the color of hair though. My mom's hair is red, while my dad's hair is black. I had a VERY dark red color ( much darker than crimson ) but it got much brighter as I got older. I was outside a lot which makes me think the sunlight changes hair color, but only after a long time.

4. AlamoCity

That's interesting, I suppose the UV light could change the hair color. However, for me, I'm rarely ever outside; it's too darn hot :lol:.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lighting conditions can change our perception of color. For example, florescent light has a blue tinge to it, while sunlight has more of a yellow tinge to it. This is why whenever lighting conditions change, cameras have to white balance. You have to tell the camera what color white is in that specific lighting condition.

6. Aquilo

Yes. Light consists of a mix of different colours. The colour you see as 'white' can consist of different mixes of colours and all may register as the same colour 'white' to your eyes.

The hair colour you see depends on which colours of light are reflected by the hair. Your hair absorbs some colours and reflect some, so if a certain colour is missing in the light, it won't be reflected so the hair will look different.

Example. Suppose there is a little bit of red pigment in your hair and not enough brown pigment to completely mask the red colour. If the light in the room doesn't contain the right colour red or only in a small amount, you won't notice that the hair is reddish.

And UV light can destroy pigments, making hair lighter, but this is a long term effect and not just an optical effect.

7. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not necessarily the lighting conditions, but if I spend enough time outsiders the summer my hair lightens up.

8. BelleFromHell

My hair is brown with a tiny hint of red, but under the lights in my bathroom, I look like a complete ginger.
    GINGERS HAVE SOULS!! :lol:

9. Paisley

Most definitely, it's more noticeable with longer hair. First time the sun hit it right I was so surprised, and it was totally cool too. I'm so bored of my "black" hair.

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes.

Also slightly related your hair color changes through out your life and I don't just mean getting grey.

11. katwat

If I lift my hair the part against the bottom of my head is almost black. When it is down the majority of it is varying shades of brown. In the right light I have streaks of all kinds of red throughout and there is just a wee bit of blond in there still. Very funny considering my hair was so light blond it was nearly white when I was a little kid.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I think so. In photos taken at the beach or outdoors in the sun, my hair looks lighter. In photos taken when it's cloudy or in the cooler months, my hair looks darker.

13. Hexagon

Yep. Mine looks kind of lime in direct sunlight, and much darker green inside.

14. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most definitely changes. I have light brown hair, and when in bright sunlight, it appears more like a dark blonde than light brown. But when indoors, it looks light brown :shrug:

15. Emulator

Yeah. My hair is generally black, but turns reddish-brown in the sun or a similar-coloured light. Of course, if the light is intensely green or pink then it turns that colour...

16. White Knight

It is not only hair on your head, when you tan also hair on your arms go lighter.

When we were young we used to put camomile or lemon juice (you boil camomile and thin lemon with water) on our hair to make it go one shade lighter...

My hair normal very dark sand blonde, it is in brown territory. Under sun and on summers it gets lighter so people keep calling me blonde... which pisses me off.

I don't wanna be blonde, I wanna be with a blonde.:confused: