1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you owe your country a sense of loyalty ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

I got lectured by a somewhat nationalistic Brit earlier that "Churchill would be ashamed of people like you" since I don't feel any need to display patriotism or loyalty to the UK etc.

I just don't see the fuss over something that you had no say in, I was never asked if I wanted to be born in the UK and have UK citiizenship.

This is also why I get so annoyed by the people who say they hate people just because of where they come from its insane.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I owe nothing to my country (Brazil). Sure, it's not a bad place at all, but i didn't choose to be born here, and i wouldn't if i had the choice (for personal reasons).

Why should i love a country only because i randomly "spawned" here?

#2 Chiroptera, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  3. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

I owe my country nothing, I was born here and it was not my choice to be borned here........... I personally don't think you owe them anything

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't believe anyone owes their country anything by default. As a gesture of gratitude, most I know voluntarily pledge allegiance to give back for what our country gave us*, but if somebody were to be born here, grow to the age of majority and promptly leave, I wouldn't think any less of them for it. America's a big place (with bigger problems than expatriation) and we'll get by.

Personally I believe in the USA, so I plan to get into public service. But like I said it doesn't bother me if others don't feel the same. What good is freedom if we are bound by some other obligation?

*that pledge doesn't mean we can't hate our politicians to the core. That's another matter entirely :/

#4 Argentwing, Mar 22, 2014
  5. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

I refuse to pledge anything to a country...... They don't own me.

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No country gives anything. The people are the country, and the work of each individual moves the country. Public services are public, and everyone work hard to maintain them. They aren't a present from the government.

#6 Chiroptera, Mar 22, 2014
  7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's sort of what I was getting at, but I'm also thankful for what happened years ago to make it what it is today. Obviously public services can be used by anybody with little or no need to pay them back in some way, but like you said, the work of each individual moves the country. I'd like to do my part to move it as well.

8. Foxface

I served for almost a decade in the military...I think I made my payback

but woth that said...I am no more loyal than someone who hasn't served...in short, I owe America nothing

9. BelleFromHell

No, I don't.
    I don't hate the USA, but I don't want to be it's slave either.

I plan on joining the AmeriCorps NCCC program and/or becoming a linguist in the Air Force once I get my diploma, but it's not because I feel like I "owe" this country anything. I'm doing it for two reasons:
    1) I need money to further my education.
    2) I like helping people.

I'm thinking the AmeriCorps would be a much better opition considering I have NO interest in joining the WWIII Russia is stirring up. :dry:

10. White Knight

It is a hard question. Especially in our current situation and days we are living.

Couple of years back I would say "Yes" without thinking, now I am not that sure.

Country is, at least for me, means land, people and freedom. So you at least protect your country to protect those.

However no country is beyond humanity. If my country ever try to occupy another one, attack other people because of greed even for providing better living conditions to my people... then I will be the first to turn against it.

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

12. Tarok

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all. I could care less about what happens to this country after I leave. I wouldn't have chosen to be born here and I owe them nothing.
    I also dislike the US anyway.

13. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

Join the club!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I feel like I was born here on accident, and should have been born in Europe.

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure if "loyalty" is the right word. I see being a citizen as similar to living under someone's roof, let's say a parent: in exchange for food, shelter, transportation, they lay ground rules, for example getting a job to pay rent, doing chores, or doing what they expect. Of course, you're free to move out, but a lot of us decide the benefits are worth the cost and comply.

Then there's the idea of a shared environment, experience, and community in being a part of one's identity. If someone's ancestors has been living in a certain nation for hundreds, or thousands, of years, fought wars on their behalf, payed taxes, built it's infrastructure, they might have a stronger sense of being a member of the "tribe", maybe even more entitled to the benefits and visibility than say, an immigrant.

So yes, there are probably a few things that are exclusive to being born and raised in the States, regardless of sex, race, class, for example. We're not always going to see eye-to-eye, obviously, so I expect some backlash when I say I do feel some sense of gratitude for the opportunities available. I don't see the issue as being completely devoted to one's nation and not giving a crap; most of us probably fall somewhere in between the two extremes, thankfully.

16. Khan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't owe my country anything, even though I do my best to be of help to the people living in it.

17. Foster

No. Honestly I feel no sense of loyalty or debt to America. It's just where I was raised, and nothing more. I plan to leave the country when I am able to. We may do some things right here, but I think there's allot of ignorance and refusal to accept truth and modernize. That upsets me. I don't feel tied to this country. This place doesn't reflect me or what I believe.

18. Kreiger

It depends on what part of the country. If its the people who've been there for me during my time here that are a part of this country, I owe them a lot.
    If its the aid programs that seek to improve the quality of life and most likely have helped me financially, I feel like a should return the favor by being a good citizen.
    If its the clowns in Washington, the Mitch McConnells, the Marco Rubios, the Harry Reids, the Frank Underwoods, then no, definitely not.
    I like that I was born in an independent nation, and I take some pride from that, but the US has done a lot of wrongs, and I certainly don't support the immoral things that have been done over the years.
    I wouldn't mind defending the people of this country, but my loyalty to the US only goes as far as my moral compass.

19. Zeta Male

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. People here are entirely too jingoistic. Blind patriotism isn't patriotism at all.

20. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

No, not really. I'm just a human living on planet earth.
    And I would rather live in America than in Germany. Germany is boring sometimes:grin::grin: