1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has your first job ever made you feel like crying?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shyguy5, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Shyguy5

I'm current going to school full time and working as a dishwasher part time. I've gotten use to how the place works and where things are after 2 months. But the problem is/are my coworkers (fellow dishwashers). There's the old guy who trained me but I've realized as well was told by everyone that he does his job slow on purposes to get more hours.

Two weeks ago, he goes on vacation (until April 1st) and I'm stuck wth this "new" guy who was hired 3 weeks after me. He is he worst because he takes his time and I get stuck doing more work than him. My managers know about how slow they are but nothing seems to get better.

Today, the restaurant was so busy and my coworker wasn't even helping me. An hour before closing, I felt like I was gonna have mental break down. I think to myself first jobs are always hard so I should suck it up. I just need some advice.

2. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    First job is really the hardest for starters or even for those who just applied (new recruits). I can imagine how you've been through for I've experienced that it really left me crying sometimes when pressure and stress are way too much to handle plus your superior doesn't like you that much it sucks!. However what keeps me going is that I want to be successful even going to the dirtiest job for other people I would do that as long as in the end it helps me to be successful sooner or later. Besides things will pass and I won't let other people interfere what I really wanted to do in life. Sometimes what you have now is a learning process so that when you experience the same thing at least you know how to handle them because you've been through with it, you know already the feeling. So my advice always give your best even to the little things, even if other people don't do same because I believed when you do your best even to the smallest things it will be much easier much acceptable, besides you don't work for those lazy bastard you work for yourself, to learn, to survive so just be strong and do your best. Don't mind those lazy one's they won't do good in the future they'll be lazy when they get old. :slight_smile:

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First job was McDonald's. It was when I was 16. It lasted a handful of months. I think that's pretty normal, actually, judging on what I saw of my peers, mostly from the local high school. The hours were never reliable and all over the place.

The part that made me feel like crying was that a lot of peers had better jobs. Getting a job as a supermarket bagger wasn't a slam dunk like fast food since, with a union, they paid a lot more. So, fast food was a default. I then did get a job right after that with paid me more which I worked at during my last year of high school and the summer before college. That job paid more. Then, I got a job in college, every SA-SU from 6:30 am to 3:00 pm (it was often dark when I arrived and in a crummy neighborhood), where I worked by myself in an IT area of a company, that paid 83% more than the one before it! However, I kept it for a couple of years, and didn't work the last two years of college, except during the summer. I got my weekends back.

4. justjade

Oh, lordie, yes. Hell, the job I have now makes me feel like crying sometimes.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's just say students have bad days and that teachers can have the same.

6. Nikky DoUrden

Ye it doesn't sound fair :/
    Whose HIS boss though? Do the same as he, maybe slightly more, they won't fire u for doing more than him right?

7. afroblackbi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yup I remember working in pub sometime during summer it was very hectic. I ended up falling sick

8. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yes of course, I used to panic a lot.. But now I'm good, working in fast paste jobs with abusive people toughens you up.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2014 at 04:27 PM ----------

Also, since you've worked there before him, don't you have the right to "Order" him?

9. Paisley

I worked at a vet clinic back in high school. I only saw it three times. It was so hard, especially this one towards my first couple weeks. Guy came in with a dog that had just been hit by a car. There was nothing they could do and had to put her down. She died before they could get the needle anywhere near her. That was heartbreaking.

10. Foxface

No, but admittedly the 1.5 months I spent in residential childhood treatment made me depressed and skyrocketed my anxiety to the point of crying. I was not meant for that job. I am meant to do therapy. That job was my nightmare

11. Cass

My first job was a Giovanni's when I was 14 and I was fired in a week.
    The job I have now sucks so bad because I practically work a food court stand completely by my self. Plus my summer job at an amusement park has caused so much stress that I smoked for an entire summer.

12. Saint Otaku

13. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Work politics. I learned that it would suck sometimes when I did work experience at 15. I was late one morning and they were upset with me. It wasn't my fault that the bus took forever. I went to learn admin tasks at a university. I ended up helping to build a website and putting backup disks in order. It changed how I viewed the world. My high school recommended me. I didn't get wages and I had to pay my bus fare. Thankfully my parents provided this money... I used my pocket money technically. Anything was better than high school. Even although it was a longer day than school I did not care.

Give an inch and they'll take a mile. Don't stand out. Although with that said, do stand up for yourself! I'd tell that guy, gosh, didn't know we were on a work-slow protest! Work hard but don't knock yourself out.

If they're staying it might be due to favoritism. People that take the mickey get fired sooner or later. Those that use other people as stepping stones also get found out and the fallout destroys them. As you've noticed, there's often a terrible lack of efficiency. Sometimes the higher ups are more interested in playing golf. At the very least you can think about the positive reference you'll have if you stick it out.

14. AAASAS

Please, do not be one of those annoying co-workers that is paying attention to other peoples work, it possibly one of the most frustrating thing's about work. PEOPLE DO NOT WANT A SECOND BOSS, THEY HAVE ONE, LET THAT BOSS NOT YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM.

Mind your own business, people are allowed to do as they wish, and it's not your duty to make sure a business YOU WASH DISHES FOR, get's their money's worth out of their employees. I almost like it when I see dog-fuckers(what people call slackers up here), doing nothing. IF people can get away with that, more power to them.

I have two co-workers that constantly are looking at what us other co-workers are doing, and it's the most annoying thing ever. They honestly think I dick around when I work harder than all of them combined, they lie to my boss, and talk shit about me to him, which in return makes our relationship icy. All because someone with an attitude similar to the OP thinks it's their responsibility to watch what I am doing at work.

I am non-stop with customers at work, like non-stop, and my co-workers will go to my workplace, see I'm not there, and think I am fucking around when I don't even a cellphone to bring to work.

Those kind of people add more STRESS and MAKE ME WANNA CRY more than you could imagine. I basically hate work because I feel I have three fucking bosses all of which are out to get me.

Leave you co-workers alone, you know nothing about their personal life, why they may be slacking(did you ever think that old guy has been working there for years and NO RAISE? Or maybe he used to work hard but it was never appreaciated?) People get discouraged at work when that happens, and there is more than one reason why people don't work hard.

So leave him alone, and focus on yourself.

To quote Brenda from scary movie "This is all me up in here, you handle that". Meaning mind your own business and worry about yourself you aren't God or anymore special than the lazy co-workers you work with.