1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to a PFLAG meeting next week

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EM68, Jul 20, 2008.

1. EM68

Next Monday night I am going to my first PFLAG meeting. I am nervous but yet looking forward to going. I am definitely going I have no doubt. It is one thing talking to you guys on this site but to talk about my sexuality in front of other people its something else. I have no doubts that I am gay thats not the reason. I have always been able to express my feelings but somehow this is different. Any advise?

#1 EM68, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  2. s5m1

That's great to hear. Just be yourself. You may be a little nervous, but I think you will feel so liberated once you go. There may be others there too for the first time who will also be nervous. This could be a nice opportunity to meet other gay men and make friends. I have found that locating other gay men to talk to was very helpful for me. It should be worth the effort. As I acknowledge I am gay more and more and in more public settings, I feel better and better about being gay. Please let us know how it goes.

3. Leigh

Leigh Guest

sorry no advice, but good luck! Ill keep my fingers crossed for you..

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not much advice either, as I've never been to one. You may be asked to introduce yourself, and feel free to keep it short and sweet. Just tell them you're still working on it all, and would rather mainly watch and listen for your first time. THey should be cool with that. But feel free to speak up and throw your two cents in when you feel like it.

Lex

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could ask Becky. She is our resident PFLAG expert. :grin:

Good Luckski! :grin:

6. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i went to my first one last month and it was fucking awesome:thumbsup:, i was nervous as hell but the people hosting it actually seemed more nervous so i felt a little better they were very accomodating it was also very liberating finally being able to talk to other people about being bi and i even made new friends, that was just me everyone has different experiences but i think you'll like it. good times:eusa_danc

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    PFLAG meetings are so welcoming. They will be thrilled to have you! Try not to get nervous. We do our best to make people feel comfortable. Remember that PFLAG meetings are confidential so you can talk without feeling like somebody is going to blab everything you said to somebody outside the meeting. Everything will be fine. :slight_smile:

8. EM68

Thanks for the advice. I can not wait.