1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can someone explain the term genderqueer to me and bigender

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Mar 23, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm confused by the term and I heard it being used but never asked I'm hoping someone can explain it so I can understand .

2. Cass

I would also like to know

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bigender people are people that float between 2 gender identities. (In most cases, it's male or female, but there are people that do identify as bigender and float between other non-binary identities.)

Genderqueer people are people who identify outside the gender binary in some way or another. This is sometimes used as an umbrella term for non-binary people. So, it's sort of like the word queer in the sexuality spectrum.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not throw in gender fluid while we are at it?

Which by your definition of bigender sounds like my personal view on the definition of genderfluid.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't mean too sound silly but can you also explain the word queer in the sexuality spectrum ?

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always heard genderfluid as somebody that floats between more than 2 identities. There are a lot of definitions out there for different identities though, so that can cause confusion.

It's used as both an umbrella term (ex. the queer community) and as an identity. For an identity, it usually means that a person identifies outside the labels that are in existence. In my case, I usually say that I am queer, because I am not 100 percent set on the bi label because I will be starting hormones soon, and hormones could change that.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ohh so like queer is for people that aren't bi or straight or lesbian or gay :icon_bigg

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No it's more of a gender thing which isn't the same as sexuality.

Someone who is say trans female might be attracted to men, but wouldn't be considered gay because they are female. A trans female that likes other females can be considered a lesbian.

It's kind of complicated and some people hate distinct labels because they don't fit them (me for instance).

Hey it's all love in the end and people just want to be happy with who they are.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd be careful saying this, because there are a lot of people that do use queer as a sexual orientation label. I see genderqueer as being like queer, except for gender instead.

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well in terms of genderqueer (which if I recall was the original subject)... That's not the same as referring to sexuality being queer, to which you're right.

Too many labels which is why I try to avoid them in general and not have to step on eggshells.

11. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Genderqueer refers to someone whose gender identity is in some way unusual, but they're not specifying further. Usually non-binary people who identify as genderqueer. Technically MtF/FtMs could probably call themselves genderqueer, but most of them just identify as their preferred gender.

Bigender is someone who switches between two genders. (Either the two binary ones, or at least one non-binary.)

Genderfluid is a broader term for someone whose gender identity shifts on a regular basis. Bigender people would be genderfluid, but so would trigender and a few others.

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like your definitions Ettina.

:thumbsup:

13. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

:thumbsup:

14. WallWeed

I use genderqueer because I don't strictly fall within an existing gender label. I'm physically female, but I currently identify with neither and both genders to an extent. I used to be quite sure I was trans* male, but I now have no desire to transition, and just prefer to keep an androgynous appearance. I still twinge at feminine references directed towards myself, and I prefer my masculine nickname, and, well, deep down I probably am still FtM, but I've managed to stuff that part of me in denial to avoid the ramifications that such a social faux pas would bring.

Basically, genderqueer = "It's complicated."

15. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

No, it's not complicated. It's only at discretion of each person.

16. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Genderqueer is basically a catch-all term for anyone who doesn't identify as strictly male or female, in the conventional sense. For some, it can be a stand alone term, while others might see it as a "resting stop" in the journey of self-discovery. I used to think it was synonymous with non-binary, but there are plenty of binary and non-binary genderqueers, regardless. It's sort of like saying "not straight" if you want to relate it to sexuality.

Bigender means what it says: two genders, and like someone else said, it isn't limited to male and female. I've heard bigenders usually experience sharp shifts in gender, and that's one reason I didn't relate to the label. Since I never quite fully feel 100% male, female, or any other, even waking up and feeling slightly more one or the other, androgyne hits closer home, if anything.

17. animequeen567

 Bigender – A type of genderqueer identity, one who exhibits two genders. The genders they exhibit can be on or outside of the gender spectrum. Some bigender individuals experience gender switching and sometimes use different personas for their genders.
     Genderqueer – Identifying with a gender other than male or female. Usually an umbrella term. There are several sub categories: bigender, genderfluid, pangender, agender, neutrois, trigender, third gender, etc.

I am an agender genderqueer person. I do not fit into any gender so I identify as agender or genderless.