1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asexuals - Help!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by girlonfire, Mar 23, 2014.

1. girlonfire

I don't know how to tell a platonic relationship from romantic interest....!! This is so confusing, does anyone have experience?

2. Cass

Sometimes I have that problem even though I'm not asexual. I can't really explain how to tell the difference.

3. Noir

I might have some experience, even though I'm a lesbian. It can be confusing, but for me I think I made this distinction within the last year.

The girl I like now let me sleep (platonically) with her in her futon when I was just getting to know her, and it confused me if I just liked the intimacy it gave me or if I liked her for real. I haven't slept over or done any smexy things with her for almost a year now, and I know if she hadn't had the personality she has, the feeling probably never would have lasted. I know now that I definitely like her for who she is, and even though I'm not asexual and we get occasional urges for each other, that's not my goal or anything.

I want a platonic but romantic relationship with her and I like enjoying my time together with her. I want to make her happy and become someone special to her like she is to me, which is a slightly different feeling than I have of the strong platonic love I have for my other friends who I would do anything for. And as I'm sure some assexuals can relate to, sometimes others misinterpret this strong commitment to friends as being flirtatious or hitting on others when it's really not.

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you asking for advice on figuring out your feelings, or on reading someone else's?

Reading someone else I have no clue about. My disability makes that really hard for me.

In terms of figuring out your own feelings, well, you may find this article helpful. Basically, they have a big list of traits shown by people involved in a romantic relationship. If a bunch of those apply to your feelings, then you're probably in love.