1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This was on the front of Newsweek

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gerry, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. ScentedRegrets

Very sad, indeed. Just when you think about how far we've come, you realize just how far we have yet to go.

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Alex

That is so sad :frowning2:
    How can someone so young think of killing a person, how did he even get a gun in the first place?
    Its just wrong

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, it certainly was wrong of him to shoot King and kill him, but look at it from the other side. King was being very, VERY flirtatious with people he knew it bothered. He used his sexuality as a weapon to taunt his classmates, then used it as a defense when they tried to push back. He shouldn't have died for it, but he took it a little beyond just "expressing himself".

6. xxAngelOnFirexx

aw! thats defiantly so sad! :tears:

7. musicXowl

thats really sad =(

8. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

Its uber sad... when did this take place

9. Jim1454

Yes - that was a well written article - covering both sides of the issue.

10. :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:
    I can't think of anything else to say on that subject. :bang:

What the :***:? STALKED? From what I hear in this article, it wasn't stalking. It sounded like Larry had some problems- I admit that freely- and people were picking on him, so he pushed back. I never saw anything that sounded like stalking. And even if he was, that's no reason to pull a gun on him!

This makes me so mad. It doesn't matter what Larry did or how uncomfortable or annoyed he made Brandon feel, you don't shoot people! :tantrum:

11. acorn7

That story is really tragic, but I'm glad the article explores both sides of the question. This I find ridiculous:
    What the HELL? Don't get me wrong, there is no excuse for what he did, but why is the point to *punish* him? They should focus on rehabilitating and helping the kid. If he's messed up enough to murder a classmate, he clearly needs help.

12. Malchik89

Yeah this is horrible that it had to happen, but i mean Larry was messing with a kids who was very disturbed, and who's historical hero was Hitler. it is extremely sad that you cant truly express yourself without it being seen as something of an obscenity. It just goes along with the whole norm of society is to not be yourself, but to be "normal". The saddest thing is, is that someone like Larry King, who was just so completely lost in who he was, never got a chance to truly find himself.

13. boarder25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember this all too well. This school is not far from me. Maybe 15 miles. It was a big deal here. :frowning2:

14. Poring

oh my.. What a life.. wasted. The guy was only 15. Really sad :frowning2:

15. Jebs

No. He deserves to be shot in the head. Twice.

16. pirateninja

No matter how flirtatious somebody is to somebody else, killing them is NEVER acceptable.

If the atmosphere in schools was more accepting of gay people, Larry wouldn't have been picked on, he wouldn't have used his sexuality as a weapon, this whole situation could have been averted. That's all I have to say on the matter.

17. LetThereBeLight

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well before he turns into a gay idol, and a reason for gay rights, we have to look at the kid who shot him.

We all know what it means to be gay. Okay. But Larry disrespected a kid's own privacy - the same thing Larry obviously fought for himself. It was a double-standard on Larry's behalf and could have been avoided if he wasn't throwing it in everyone's face.

If someone who likes rap, went to a redneck school, and just pushed the topic of rap in everyone's face is that seriously going to go down well?

The fact he was gay was one thing, the fact he made it such a big deal that his life was centered around it was the problem. It shouldn't have been that way. Yeah, he certainly could have identified as gay, and worn whatever he wanted, but if Larry was all about self-expression and being able to live freely without having to be afraid of slurs, than making the school his runway was a horrible idea.

The kid obviously had problems, and I would not want him to represent me, or my sexuality. He didn't die for being gay, he died because he interfered with someone's sexuality and the fact that we ask for acceptance and Larry blatantly disregarded someone's own morals really gives us this end result: Some one got shot over something completely avoidable.

Brandon had problems too. He should have gone to a counselor, without a doubt.

This was all a HUGE mistake.

I agree 100%

#17 LetThereBeLight, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008