1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overcoming adversity

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Who knows, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Who knows

Who knows Guest

So I was wondering what sort of different things others have overcome since I want to try and understand the situation of other people.

It doesn't even have to be too personal but I want to know what sort things have you guys learned or noticed that has changed about you because of an event.

For me it was learning how to cope with my parents splitting up after being married for about 20 years. It was shocking due other disconcerting events following up from it but it helped me understand why it is so important to see events from a different perspective.

2. Nikky DoUrden

Those are things that I don't want to share the public with, but i'm no stranger to adversity, but as humans we manage I guess :slight_smile:

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My Mother and younger Sister both died of cancer before my 30th birthday (a few short years in between). I can't find words to describe how much it hurt seeing them battle for life and then being with them as they died. Losing both of them at such a young age tested my endurance and character more than anything before or since. It changed me as a person and made me grow up very quickly.

Yesterday has gone (and we cannot change it), tomorrow is another day. Live for the day and make it count.

#3 PatrickUK, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've overcome quite a bit.

When I was 1-5 years old, my teenage foster siblings sexually abused me.

Then I was in an awful school. Nit technically a 'Christian' school, but most of the teachers were Christians, and they kept telling me I'd go to Hell for being a badly behaved child. (I was badly behaved due to PTSD. They knew I had PTSD, and my parents repeatedly told them strategies that would work to help me, but they were too inflexible.)

Next, I went to a school with nice but useless teachers and a lot of bullying. My psychological health just kept deteriorating, and I ended up getting kicked out of school in grade 7.

My parents decided to homeschool me, and tried following a curriculum, but I was too scared of anything resembling school to cooperate with any lesson plans. So they gave up, and essentially reinvented unschooling.

Now I'm a 3rd year undergrad psych student, getting 70s to 90s in most of my classes. Something I'm pretty sure many of my teachers never expected me to accomplish.

Oh, and did I mention I'm autistic, but wasn't diagnosed until I was 15? Though I'm actually glad for the late diagnosis. I shudder to think how my schools would've tried to deal with autism.