1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, did we win on AB1266?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Necromancer, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

For those not in the know, that's the California state law recently passed clarifying existing law requiring our schools to treat children as the gender they identify as. A petition was circulated for the public at large to vote for it in the next election, which would have resulted in the repeal of AB1266. This petition got sufficient signatures, but just enough were declared invalid to disqualify it for the ballot. Now the backers are suing in court. Given the speed of the court system, however, I cannot see this being resolved by the 2014 election. So, if anything it would have to be deferred for 2016. The problem for opponents is that 2 years of the status quo may well take a lot of their momentum away. If it doesn't, a repeal would be unlikely to hold up in court after 2 years of the status quo, under the logic that their was no legitimate interest in repealing the law. How could there be, when it clarifies the policy that was in use in most of the state? So far as I can tell, we won this one.

2. PurpleGrey

I sure do hope we won. I'm sure there's a bunch of reasons people might be against keeping AB1266, I just can't think of any.