1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please stop saying we don't exist

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ettina, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm getting sick of people on this forum saying asexuality and demisexuality don't exist. Seriously, why is this so hard to get?

If you're straight or gay, think of the gender you're not attracted to. That's how asexuals feel about both genders. Simple as that. We're not sick, we don't have a hormone imbalance or a psychological problem or whatever - any more than gays or bisexuals do.

And as for demisexuality, well, have you ever seen someone you don't know and thought they were hot? Demisexuals never feel that. Demisexuals generally feel like they're asexual until they form a strong enough emotional bond with someone. It's not 'choosing not to be promiscuous'. It's not feeling attracted to people you don't know. Attracted to =|= having sex with.

And if you think these aren't useful labels, well, they're useful to the people they apply to. Otherwise we wouldn't have come up with them.

2. Beware Of You

That sucks.

Asexuality exists, however I will say its incredibly hard for someone who isn't asexual to understand. For someone like me sexuality is a part of my life, I am a sexual person and the idea of not having any of that is so alien to someone like me.

Its a lack of understanding, more than willing ignorance.

3. timo

I don't think I've seen any posts saying 'we don't exist' recently... or maybe that's because I haven't been online much.

Can't say I really blame them though. I don't fully understand highly sexual people myself and I can imagine it's the same the other way around. Like Beware Of You said, it's probably a lack of understanding.

But yeah, it can be pretty tiring to keep explaining it over and over and over and over and over

#3 timo, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  4. Hexagon

I'm sorry. I didn't realise this was going on, but it shouldn't.

5. C P

C P

Thank you.

It was enough when we were practically being called out as being 'special snowflakes' back on that one thread and had numerous others devaluing it just because it isn't official and ya di da.

Too many seem to confuse it with holding back(genuinely noting someone as 'sexy', etc. without actually sleeping with them) when we're not holding anything back. Terms like sexy and hot(in this sense) do not click with me...

EDIT: looks like that thread on demisexuality that blew up slipped plenty of minds. >_<

#5 C P, Mar 25, 2014
  6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know that's about the fourth time I've heard someone mention the phrase 'special snowflakes' in the last couple of days...have I missed some big argument or something?

7. Beetle

It's sad that people on this forum can feel that way when we're supposed to band together as a community. I'm friends with a few asexuals, and yes they do exist, and sadly they don't get as much attention in the community.

8. BelleFromHell

I'm sorry you guys have to deal with this crap. :frowning2:
    Some people think lesbians don't exist either. They think we "need to find the right guy" and that sleeping with men will turn us all straight.

My friend is demisexual and I've known a few asexuals too. Asexuality and demisexuality may be rare, but they're certainly REAL.
    Anyways, my advice is to just ignore those comments as much as you can and stand up for yourself when you feel like you need to.

9. Nikky DoUrden

I never seen anyone on forum say that, but if u did, why not approach him maybe via wall message and talk about it ?
    I don't believe anyone want to hurt u, and if things have been said they might have been said due to ignorance about the subject, and you can help them understand it better.
    Who knows maybe u'll make a new friend as well :slight_smile:

10. Munyal

One of my best friends is asexual, and who said they don't exist. I will find them, and punch them in the throat (not really, but it's stupid of people to say something doesn't exist when it obviously does). This forum is a place of belonging and support, and these posters need to realize that. What really pushes my buttons is when people say "they'll grow out of their asexuality/demisexuality" It is just so ridiculous. Gaaahhhhh!!! Better stop before this turns into a rant.

11. C P

C P

This, although not 'recent' recent(ended just over a month ago), was one of the better examples of what we are describing here, where our use of the terms was being devalued by others for reasons already gone over:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/123489-what-does-demi-sexual-mean.html

12. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey, can anyone explain to me what that is? cause i have NOOO idea what that is.....sorry if i sound too clueless on this thread

13. Hexagon

Asexuality - a sexual orientation where someone does not experience sexual attraction
    Demisexuality - a sexual orientation where someone experiences sexual attraction only after forming an emotional bond with someone.

14. C P

C P

It's not necessarily a whole one in itself(except in cases like Ettina) but a secondary holder. Like how you can be any of homo/hetero/bi/pan and asexual if you're one of those who have romantic and sexual attraction split.

#14 C P, Mar 25, 2014
  15. Hexagon

Spose.

16. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah...yeah...see what you mean...ouch...

17. Sarcastic Luck

I'm going to mention that there's different variations of asexual. Simply saying that there's no attraction, period, is incorrect. Some asexuals find people attractive but that's as far as it extends. Others have no interest, period.

For most of my life, I've fallen into the "physical attraction but no interest in sex", so, you're kiiiinda doing the same thing that you don't want people to do.

18. Gen

Gen

I haven't seen any recently because I have been ill for the past five days and pressed for time all month, but I certainly don't doubt they exist. I am happy that you brought your frustrations to light. Hopefully, it will open some eyes.

19. C P

C P

Oh, I wasn't saying you're off...just keeping the shades open for the SSP(special snowflake police). You can arguably consider it either.

20. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even among the LGBT community there are close minded people.

Sorry to hear you've had to deal with them.