1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The more I learn about the Bible, the more I'm amazed.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Skaros, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As it turns out, there is a section of the New Testament that supports the claim that God doesn't hate gays, and even explains why God made gays.

Matthew 19:12
    "For there are eunuchs who were born so from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. To him who can comprehend, that is enough"

A eunuch is of the men Jesus claimed to be unfit to marry a woman. Translated from Aramaic: m'haym-ne is homosexual, also known as the trusted one. Because homosexual males didn't prefer women, they were trusted with women.
    There are three kinds of eunuchs; born homosexual, made by man = castrated & ones appointed by a king, ones who choose celibacy.

Also, Leviticus, which is often used against people, is part of the Old Testament which was condemned by Jesus. Only the Hebrews follow Leviticus.

Personally, I'm amazed by this. Your thoughts?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, that's an interesting look at the concept. Where did you come up with this? Has this been put forth before in publication?

I always thought that the beatitudes spoke to everyone including the plight of gay people but this seems to have a very direct meaning as you translated it. Impressive.

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Actually yes, someone told me about this and I was shocked. I went online to find out more about it, and there's dozens of articles like this!

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Things like this are why I tend to listen to the New Testament and ignore the hateful wrath of the Old Testament. I prefer my religion to be a source of solace and comfort than one that essentially condemns everyone to hell...

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd like to show this to the next person who says that gay Christians don't exist.

6. biggayguy

That's very interesting. I had always thought of a eunuch as an asexual person.

7. violently happy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is great! I've been going crazy trying to be comfortable with my sexuality, yet become a stronger Christian at the same time, which is difficult to say the least. There's never going to be a time when someone won't tell me that I'm only "twisting" words of the Bible to fit my own needs (bisexuality), so it really makes me happy to find more genuine pro-gay evidence in the bible like this!=) Thanks for posting it, it's much appreciated.

8. BelleFromHell

I'm an agnostic, but I still think this is pretty amazing! :icon_bigg
    The Christian community needs to know more about this.

9. Saint Otaku

I've known for years of this verse, and when I was still a Christian I used this verse to cover-up my aversion towards females, claiming to be, as you said, a eunuch who chose celibacy, which allowed for a stronger connection to God.

I really do hate this verse, for, by calling men who are not sexually attracted to women "eunuchs", Jesus still implies that homosexual acts are prohibited. It doesn't really provide a purpose for homosexuality specifically, but acts as a half-effort measure to kindly convert homosexuals, while still repressing them sexually.

To re-render the title to my personal experience, "The more I read the Bible, the more detestable it becomes to me." Of course, I find much of Jesus's teachings admirable, but then others I find lend themselves to a more "politics of appeasement" tone.

10. Munyal

Every time I read eunuch, I think of the eunuch from Game of Thrones. But I really like your take on this.

11. Claudette

Claudette Guest

The famous bible passage that if man lays with another man as if he lays with a woman is an abomination was also loosely translated.

The word being translated to "homosexual" in 1 Corithians 6, and 1 Timothy 1 is "arsenokoitai." This word does not appear in Greek writings prior to Paul's use of it in the NT. Paul likely made the word up
    "Arsenokoitai" is made up of two parts: "arsen" means "man"; "koitai" means "beds." Literally translated "arsenokoitai" is a "male-bedder." It is interesting to note that during the time of Martin Luther, the word was universally translated as masturbators untill the 20th century.

I remember some films and television portraying eunuchs as being homosexual, venture bros season 2 - Love-bheits, a eunuch in the episode is clearly gay
    I am pretty sure all of the eunuchs in the history of the world part 1 were also portrayed as homosexual, but it has been awhile since I saw this movie

#11 Claudette, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also actually *read* Leviticus...clearly God isn't upset by homosexuals...he's upset by people who refuse to show adequate hospitality and respect to strangers in town. Basically, he's upset by those who refuse to show tolerance to those different from themselves!

Highly ironic that intolerant Christians would choose this particular story with which to condemn homosexuality...could it be that they picked it so that it couldn't be used *against them*??

13. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for posting this. I am a Christian, but being a Christian and a part of the GSM is not an easy thing.

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow :eek: I always knew that Leviticus something was wrong with that passage couldn't figure out what . they always love to use that one those homophobes .

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Almost every Biblical passage quoted by homophobes is taken out of context and original meaning and can be countered with at least three others. Bashing people with the Bible is wrong on so many levels.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I heard unnatural sex was humans with angels not men with men or women with women but they were referring to when angels mated with humans fallen angels if you will also people cutting off their genitals , and using idols that is the unnatural sex the bible was talking about .

17. Beware Of You

Isn't a eunuch someone who has been castrated and had their penis removed (I am being serious, that's what they did to then, they put a wooden straw thing to pee out of)

18. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

It depends on the culture and time period. The idea of a eunuch was very popular, and it therefore took a wide variety of forms. Yes, eunuch can refer to a man who's penis and testibles were removed. It can also refer to a man who's testicles were removed but who retains his penis. Sometimes it can refer to an individual who is literally or figuratively considered a woman do to having been castrated. The castration may be early enough in life to cause major hormonal changes, or it may happen later on in life, having fewer physical effects. In some cultures, such as Ancient Greece during the time of Hippocrates and Justinian Rome, a male who could not procreate for whatever reason could be referred to as a eunuch instead of as a man, because the ability to procreate was the determinate part of gender. I wouldn't discount the possibility of Ancient Jews having a similar practice.

19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being gay, I can't say I'm at all thrilled with being compared to, or called a eunuch. No, that's not who I am, sorry. I have balls, a penis, and I very much enjoy sex. Does it mention that????

The main definition/connotation is to one who has been castrated, and in most cases, against their will. This often had grave psychological consequences, and certainly represents a horrific act of violence as well-especially as it was historically carried out in Christian churches. I don't think we really need to try to sugar-coat things like this; practices like this rank among the sort of cruelty one associates with things like the Inquisition. It is among the soiled, dirty laundry of historical Christian practice.

If this is about all the Bible can offer me by way of solace for being gay, it's a small wonder I've no use for the book. I've never seen a religious text that so tirelessly disparages the joy to be found in sexual pleasure.

#19 HuskyPup, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014