1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gsa

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kenaria, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Kenaria

Do middle schools have a GSA or only highschools, and are highschools' required to have a GSA?

2. Paisley

I don't know how much has changed since, but my middle school and first high school had GSA, but my second high school didn't. Your best bet is to ask, or look around for posters.

3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    some new york city high school's have GSA but they count em as clubs. middle schools don't have em. kids are too busy "experimenting" to even figure that out i guess.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no requirement for a school to have a GSA, but most schools will permit them (unless it's a backwards religious school.) GSA itself has tools and resources to start up a group if your school doesn't already have one.

5. AmiBee

The middle school where I teach has just started one.

6. Kenaria

Awesome thanks for the help! I've got some highschool buddies and I'll ask them if they've got it at the highschool. I needed to know because I was thinking about starting one at my school (It's a rather big school, about 1200 kids and it's a middle school...) but I think I'll just wait till highschool, because they've probably got one.

Another quick question, do most people 'stop caring' so to speak, in highschool? I've asked my sister about it and she told me that in highschool no one cares about what/who you are or represent yourself as and that they will like you (or dislike you) for who you are.

7. KWDBM

That *really* depends on the high school, the location, the individuals. From what I've heard and experienced, if anything high schoolers care a heck of a lot *more* about that kind of crap, and are much more likely to tease and/or be teased then in middle school.

8. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My experience has basically been the exact opposite. It seems that in middle school, people were bullied just for the fun of it, but in high school it seems that people don't care as much

9. Kenaria

Oi, I hope no one cares! My sister is a highschooler, and she says that nobody cares about anything, but I'm not suree :/

10. AmiBee

My middle school has just started one for the first time. I've taught there for 11 years now. At today's meeting, the students decided to.organize participation in the day of silence. If you can get a GSA started in middle school, I think it is very important. The sooner that teens are supported with their sexuality, the sooner they can have a normal adolescents. I was lucky (for the late 80s-early 90s)can came out at 18 during my first year in college. However, I still feel regret about my "lost" years from 12-17 when I knew my sexuality but had to suppress it. I feel so happy when my students don't have to go through the denial and hiding.

11. Jean

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In some ways, high school is where you start to split off from the people who really do "care" about that kind of thing. Because in many high schools you get to choose your classes, and because in many cases high schools are composed of larger populations than middle schools, the variation means that people split off into their own groups and make their own friends. You aren't usually obligated to be friends with that one kid who's in *all your classes* because the odds are, there won't be anyone in all your classes! My high school does have a GSA, although we call it something else.

Personally, I think that in high school people are all trying to figure themselves out, and sometimes when I hear of someone being particularly rude or mean I'll respond "It's not middle school anymore." Maybe that sort of shows how people have changed from middle school to high school. In middle school, immaturity is respected and generally accepted as the norm, in high school people tend to be less mature about some things and are just irresponsible in general, but most of us realize that it doesn't really get you anywhere being a jerk.

It also depends on the school in a lot of ways. I live in a pretty liberal state and my high school is pretty big, so I never had too much trouble. (aside from freshman year, I usually just pretend that never happened, but none of that was anyone's fault but mine :/)

12. Silver Sparrow

I have found people care less in high school. Everyone is a little more "just do your own thing", at least at my school.

13. ilovemylife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My high school didn't have a GSA (well, we call it an LGBTQ+ group, but whatevs) until last year. A student had to bring it to the attention of the administration in order for them to even consider it. Kinda disappointing, really. That student passed away, sadly, earlier this year.

As far as bullying goes, no one really cares if you are gay. It's common to see gay or lesbian couples kiss or hug in the halls. Everyone is pretty accepting up here. We actually have to sign a "bully waiver" specifically saying we won't bully anyone because of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

The only problem I've run into is the frequent use of sexuality as an insult among friends. Not to gays themselves, but to other people. I've been called "gay" by my friends before because of my femininity even though they don't know that I actually am gay. But, that's immature teenagers for you. If you aren't too sensitive to that, you will be fine.

This is just my experience, though.

14. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

In most highschools people honestly wont care! There are so many people an many people start to really focus on academics! You should be fine! It's honestly not bad at all! I've been to two HS's and they've both had GSA's!

15. Kenaria

Thank you everyone for the advice and answers, they really helped :slight_smile:

16. Caleb2001

Not at my school or at the local high school. Of course we live in a small city. Seems Atlanta would be more likely to have one. I live north of you about 80 miles!:smilewave

17. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    Uh, at my high school in 2010ish, some people tried to start one but were stopped by ridiculous bigots and an outpouring of ex-gay literature from the more religious students handing out pamphlets and such in the hallways...the school got a bunch of phone calls, and apparently it was a big thing. The gsa was disbanded and no one has tried to start another one since, as far as I know. It really does depend on where you live.

18. blimmr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    High schools for sure should have one. Mines has one and I'm going to be joining it in my junior year.

19. Kenaria

Hello :grin: and I'm guessing you live somewhere close to Blue Ridge so I understand that there's no GSA there cx

Awe that sucks that people do that :/ I'm still trying to see if my local district has one...

That's good you'll be joining :grin:
    and I agree, but hopefully one day there won't be a need for one!

20. nonbinarym

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I actually want to start a GSA at my middle school, but a) don't know where to start, b) don't know if we have to have a supervisor, and who they would be, c) don't really know if any of my friends would help me, and d) don't think that any of the younger 6th and 7th graders would join. Oh, and it's the last quarter, so it seems futile now. To me anyways. Thoughts?