1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Adoption

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BitterEdge, Jul 21, 2008.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I would assume most of you support gays having the rights to adopt children but I thought I'd ask about singles adopting children.

Should men and women, who aren't married/ in a relationship be allowed to adopt if the have the means and want to do so?

-Note: I have never seen myself getting married to either sex, but would like children some day and have gotten some thoughts from friends that say men shouldn't have the responsibility.

Any thoughts?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Right now there are thousands of children in foster care that need homes. I think anybody that can provide them a good, safe, and loving home should be able to adopt them.

3. A child would move from family to family all their childhood and never know stability and proper family love. Why is that better then letting a gay couple love the child permanently and let the child grow up happy?

4. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

That was exactly my opinion becky...especially with states not allowing gays to adopt to me is sickening...how many children grow up with out anyone caring and properly raising them to function in society...we can only hope someone gives these kids a fair shot at a future.

5. Jim1454

I don't see why not. What's the difference between that and people that have their own kids and then divorce? The state doesnt take the kids away from the parents...

6. SonofaPastor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do think that two parents (regardless of gender or sexual orientation) can do a much better job of raising a child then one (also regardless of gender or sexual orientation) but with so many kids in the foster system all that is moot. I think it's more important that we get kids into stable homes (be it with one parent or two).

7. Adrian

Adrian Guest

I don't know about America but my understanding is that is that in the UK there are more couples wanting to adopt than kids available. I do think it's right that couples, gay or straight, are given priority, as they are more likely to be able to fully support the child financially and, provided they don't split up, etc. will provide a more stable environment. Obviously a single parent can look after a child totally adequately, but not all kids for adoption are perfect little blank slates - many of them come from troubled backgrounds, and a single adoptive parent may struggle to juggle work commitments and the needs of a potentially quite troubled child.

That said, I'd imagine in most cases a child's better off living with a single adoptive parent than in care.

8. I'm sure it's not what you meant, but it sounds like you're saying single parents can't do a very good job raising kids. I take offense to that since my mother is a single parent and did an excellent job raising me and my sister. Back to the topic at hand I say yes. I've always wanted a kid and I would love to do it by myself if I had to adopt. I fully think singles should be able to adopt.

9. Tim

Tim

I concur. Sure, my dad was around until we were teens, but when something happens, SonofaPastor, you're pretty much saying kids should be taken from parents if their spouse passes away. Sure, they aren't their blood children, but single parents can give a much more loving environment compared to a foster home that just wants them out ASAP.

10. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are many children that need loving homes and families. If a single person wants to adopt a child, they have every right too. Many foster homes are beginning to be overcrowded and if the person is well meaning, I see no problem with stopping them from adopting.

11. Malchik89

I think adoption is amazing. Its the good alternative to unwanted pregnancy than abortion thats for sure. But yeah i think if two people are together and they are under a circumstance to where they cannot produce children naturally, adoption is great. You have a given up child going to hoping loving people who can fully support it.

12. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

The US system is very bureaucratic and long...way more kids than potential parents as well as many international agencies in need of adopting parents.

13. Brett

With the decreasing number of suitble parents, and the increasing number of chidlren without families, it's slightly cruel of the government not to let GLBT couples and individuals adopt. I'm pretty sure that I child would rather have two dads/moms than none at all.....

14. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I agree 100% with Becky. It's my opinion that there is nothing in the world more important than a loving, permanent home, and that anyone offering this should be able to adopt. Foster homes can be nice, but there is nothing like having someone root for your cause and love you no matter what.

In my opinion a loving and stable home can be provided by single people, gay people, straight people, disabled people, and people of a different race to the child. I am very pro-adoption and would like to see more people consider it as a first choice, as well as an alternative to infertile and gay couples.

15. Trumpetplyer23

I believe that if you want to adopt a kid and you feel you will be a good parent, then you should be allowed to adopt. There are plenty of orphanges filled to the brim with kids.

What matters most is not the politics behind adoption, what matters is that kid needs a good, healthy home. Where he/she can be clothed, feed, and taken care of properly.

My dad was around for most of my life, but I never saw him because of work and stuff. So, basically, my mom raised me. I turned out fine. I'm a little quirky and rough around the edges, but hey, I'm a teenager, cut me some slack.

I know a girl who's dad left her mom when he found out that she was pregnant and not getting an abortion. That girl was raised in a single family home and she's a really cool, really nice person. She's a functioning memeber of society.

16. SonofaPastor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, I worded that very badly 0_o...
    That's not what I meant at all... Most of my friends were raised by single parents and they turned out just fine. I wasn't feeling very well and didn't think about what I was typing >_<.

17. ok455

Becy word it perfectly

If a family can provide a child a stable well home either gay,Lesbian,Trans,straight,Little person etc.

I would rather be in a family then at some Children Shelter