1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you could live in any one state in the US North-East, which one & why?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Mar 28, 2014.

?

If you could live in any one state in the US North-East, which one would you choose?

1. Maine

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Vermont

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. New Hampshire

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Massachusetts

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. Rhode Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. New York

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. Connecticut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. New Jersey

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  9. Pennsylvania

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. Maryland

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  11. Delaware

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Washington, District of Columbia

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, a hypothetical question, but one based on the fact that most of these states allow gay marriage. I've included all coastal states from Maryland to Maine, so I've stretched the definition a bit.

My choice would be New Hampshire, near Portsmouth. Legal gay marriage, very clean air and water, nice beaches, no sales tax, no income tax, and no letter R. I love the accent. And it's close enough to big cities like Boston, should one need a dose of urban life. I also like places that have snow, and hope to one day have an Alaskan Malamute or two, and take up dogsledding as a hobby. So I need a reliably cold place.

I like Maryland, it's got a lot of history, and the people are very friendly, and it's very diverse. The only problems are that there can be a ton of traffic, and it gets way, way too hot in the summer.

#1 HuskyPup, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Massachusetts - more specifically Boston. A large, socially progressive city - but not completely overwhelming like New York, and probably a lot cleaner as well.

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Ugh, the clogged, conservative Boston exurbs that make up southeastern New Hampshire are probably some of the worst places to live in the Northeast, especially when there are so many nicer places right near there. Rockingham County, NH was one of the few counties in New England to vote for Mitt Romney, and it's the primary reason why New Hampshire is a swing state rather than the solid Democratic state that every other New England state is.

If you seek excitement and vibrant urban life (as I do), New York City clearly can't be beat. It's the place to be. Seriously, it is a world-class city, America's most populous and greatest city. Though Boston and Philadelphia are nice too. (Since you're counting D.C. as "Northeastern", I'd say that's a pretty nice city to live in too). All of these urban areas are also going to be uber-progressive and accepting of LGBTQ people.

If you seek idyllic calm rural life, Vermont and Western Massachusetts are the most rural and beautiful areas in the nation- and also among the most progressive and accepting communities in the nation. Rural New England is unlike any other rural area in the rest of the nation in that it is actually very left-wing rather than conservative and repressive. It's a major exception to the "rural-urban" divide that we see in the rest of the nation between progressive cities and conservative rural areas.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Considering I live 30 minutes outside of boston and have lived in MA my whole life and that LGBT rights are pretty much right up there with California, I'll choose my home state of Massachusetts.

5. EatYourRikkios

New York, all the way. I spent half my childhood upstate with my mom's side of the family, and I absolutely adore Hamlin Beach - to this day, it's my favorite beach in the world, even if Florida is warmer. Ideally, I'd be in the city though - so much light, culture, life going on all around you. And Broadway! *sighs* NYC is definitely the dream.

6. Techno Kid

I choose New York State because if I had unlimited money I would want to live in a Manhattan penthouse. I love areas with lots of people, tall buildings, and culture so Manhattan would be one of the best places in the world for this! :grin:

7. Gen

Gen

I would never willingly live in New York, but out of that selection it would be my choice. Largely because I could study at NYU and New York is the most opportunistic writing and publishing center of the east.

However, I prefer to be a student where I am and currently live in the most opportunistic writing and publishing center to the west. Plus, much better weather.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would have to have a very good reason to live in the US, but I would like to live in Boston (though I understand that it has a lot of problems including poverty and class division) over anywhere else. Big city, but not incomprehensibly sprawling like some, and it sounds interesting.

9. tscott

I have to go with Maine. You're close to Boston without the costs. The coast is amazing and the light make everything look like it just came out of a paint box. The lakes are beautiful. Lobster's cheap. L.L. Bean open 24/7 even on Christmas. Enough snow for dog sledding, snow shoeing...moose! A gay costal town Ogonquit (sp?)...think P-town without all the tourists. A bonus, the native hate people from NYers and people from MA.

10. AmiBee

Well, I've lived in Massachusetts since I was 18. I live in Metro Boston now. Have no current desire to live anywhere else. And the laws here are generally good.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Washington, DC. In my free time, I'd be hanging out at the Smithsonian, visiting the Capitol, going to the White House, maybe even watching Congress in action. I'd head back to the National Archives and see the Constitution again, go see everything that I didn't get to see when I spent 3 days in our nation's Capitol back in 2009.

12. Nessarose

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    New York. Totallyyyyy.
    All dem Broadway showz, dude. I'd end up dying from starvation due to using all my money on tickets to shows :lol:

13. AlamoCity

I would have to choose between upstate New York (read: Adirondacks), Vermont, or Maine (even since I was a little kid, I've been fascinated by lighthouses and Acadia NP, plus, the LL Bean flagship store is a plus :lol:slight_smile:.

14. BelleFromHell

New York. Gay marriage is legalized there, plus I love big places. :grin:

If I couldn't choose New York, I'd choose either Massachusetts, Maine or New Hampshire.
    They're all such beautiful places, but frankly, I'd just be glad to be out of the south-east! :lol:

15. Foxface

Vermont for the scenery I guess...admittedly I know very little of the NE US

16. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I've been to new york for a few months, not my cup of tea lol I will stick to my Home State of Maryland since it is pretty righteous on the whole equality for LGBT rights

17. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

Maine to live near Steven King and his wife...Oh, and Maine Lobster

#17 Double Eagle, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  18. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Couldn't do it. I freeze in anything under 60°. :frowning2:

19. I would love to live in New York, cleaner air than California. Even though there's more snobby people over there, New York would be a great state to live in. New York is actually more socially progressive over there and there's excellent public transportation, unlike SoCal.

Specifically Queens and Brooklyn. I have family over there. I actually kinda like the Brooklyn accent.

20. Harve

I'll go for Vermont. But Quebec would be better.