1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti vaccination movement

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, because that would require common sense, something these people clearly lack...

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone with autism, I think it's a crock of BS this notion that vaccines cause autism, and it's been disproven by science time and again. I think that there should be a federal law requiring vaccinations for every child to enter school and the only exception should be for an allergy.

There is a compelling state interest in requiring vaccinations, and that is preventing a public health crisis, which will happen eventually as these diseases are making a roaring comeback.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The "scientist" who came up with this theory falsified his data and has had all his credentials revoked, and the journal that published his research has issued a retraction. There is NO scientific evidence to support this link. But people would rather listen to Jenny Fucking McCarthy than scientific evidence.

5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These movements are usually a result of either ignorance or stupidity. Unfortunately, we seem to live in a time where these attributes are not looked down on, and so I think no matter what happens, you will always get people who won't listen and follow these ridiculous movements.
    It's just a shame that it puts others at risk, as a result to their stupidity.

6. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This whole movement is rather ridiculous. Parents are so concerned about their children that they forget about other people's kids. Your child might not get sick, but they can be a carried and pass on diseases such as the measles to children who are either too young to get vaccinated or are allergic the vaccines.

If and when I have children, they are getting all of their vaccines.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone who refuses to vaccinate their child is risking their child's safety and that of others. There are few circumstances where someone cannot safely recieve a vaccine. Inability to safely take it is the only circumstance in which refusal to take available vaccines is acceptable.

It is not a personal choice.

8. Sitri

The last anti-vaccination movement that I can recall had an equally as valid a concern. "Vaccines are a Muslim invention. I don't want no heathen medicine. I'll go to hell for that probably... I can't site any examples but it's wrong anyway." That was the 1600s.

Interestingly, the man who supported the vaccines was a person most famous for his involvement in witchcraft trials. So even 300 hundred year old witch-hunters support vaccines.

9. BelleFromHell

My mom is a part of the anti-vaccination movement.
    Luckily for me, I had already gotten most of the shots I need before she joined it. I got my tDap shot a year ago when I was planning to live with my dad in Florida, and when I moved back to Georgia, my mom was FURIOUS.

I DO think they have somewhat of a point, though.

To sum up my views on the matter:
    Should kids be vaccinated? YES.
    Should companies put horrible chemicals such as mercury into the vaccines? NO.

I'm not going to say whether or not mercury causes autism because I'm not an expert on the subject.
    BUT, I know it has been scientificly proven that mercury is toxic to humans and I think putting in in vaccines is almost asking for trouble.

#9 BelleFromHell, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  10. Sitri

Thiomersal? That stuff has been practically eradicated since 1999. The few vaccines that still use it have it in such small doses you would get more mercury in you eating a fish you caught.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of all the stupid irrationality, ignorance and obvious manifestation of our sadly lacking education system, this whole anti-vaccine movement takes first prize in the annals of human stupidity. I know a PhD who is reluctant to get her own two daughters vaccinated!

Here you go from Penn and Teller to tell it like it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So many of my aunts have bought into this bullshit, and so I took that video from Greatwhale and tweeted it.

13. AlamoCity

Even if vaccines caused autism, it would be like saying, "Don't wear seatbelts because, in the off chance that you're in a fiery accident, the seat belt might trap you."

The social, economical, and health benefits of vaccines are immeasurable and are truly one of the greatest innovations of mankind.

14. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I never got my antitetanos shot. I should get it...
    It is totaly free,you just have to go to a local clinic and they will give it to you that day.

I never got it because at the time I was scared of needles...

#14 Zam, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  15. Foxface

It's crazy...just stupid as hell. And whatever that celebs name was that helped drive this movement (Jenny McCarthy was it?) can go to hell

16. People already need to consider vaccinating their kids, even without these outbreaks. Vaccinations have benefited us in so many ways. We've pretty much eradicated Polio with vaccines.

17. Techno Kid

Thanks GW! :grin: That was perfect! (!)

18. valerie247

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well said. The anti-vax people all say "toxins" and "heavy metals" without really understanding that you can get more heavy metals from your daily diet than vaccines. Haven't you ever noticed Iron on the back of your cereal box? You need it. It's also a "heavy metal". It always reminds me of the dihydrogen monoxide stunt a while back. Chemicals are evil!!! (note the sarcasm)

19. apostrophied

This is me, debating with an anti-vaxxer online (which I don't actually do):

[​IMG]

The anti-vaccine movement is a result of the amazing efficacy of vaccines. If vaccines were few and/or not effective, you can bet there would be no such thing as an anti-vaxxer. They believe the diseases we vaccinate against are "rare," yeah, right, I wonder why?! They also do not realize that "mild" diseases like the flu can and do kill healthy young people every year. They believe it is okay to let children suffer with measles and mumps and whooping cough (I actually had it, it's no fun and I know someone who came *this* close to dying from it) is okay because it "builds their immune system." Yeah, right.

Sometimes I feel sorry for them, most of the time I feel deep contempt for them for endangering the rest of us and I wish the government would stop this ridiculousness of allowing people to skip vaccines for personal or religious reasons. If you want your kid to go to school, camp, daycare = you'd better vaccinate.

I could pretty much talk about this for hours, that's how angry it makes me.

I would never wish them to get something horrible and die, but I hope they get a nice little flu that keeps them in bed for 7 days and disrupts their eating and energy patterns for 2 weeks.

20. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would get it if I were you. You only have to get it every 5-10 years, so that is a good thing. It better to get the shot then have to be treated for tetanus.