1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could single parenting affect sexuality and personality??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yosia, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Yosia

This seems a bit of a silly question but i have been wondering this for a while~

I have been raised by my mum since about 7-8 years old and i only see my dad at weekends and i have a very feminine personality and view on things and of course i like boys, this is the same with my friend who has been raised by only his mum~

Does single parent and your environment have anything to do with it or not?

^.^

2. Higs

I was raised only by my mom since i was 1. And I couldn't look more straight

3. Shea

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard of that but don't know it's true. I have a strong relationship with my dad and I'm all boy. I'm sensitive and gentle natured, but nothing famine about me that I know of.

4. Nicholas1991

I wonder the same thing sometimes - i always related to my mum so much better when i was younger. My dad never had much patience for me I guess, i always felt like i was disappointing him. I have a pretty feminine personality too *_*

5. yuna

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really know. I think we are all born like this because there are people out there with 2 parents, great family and so on but they are still gay. Therefore it must be a a coincidence here rather than a factor for sexual orientation. I was raised by mom, grandparents and have an uncle with 2 cousins. This is my only family tho but still I wouldn't blame the lack of a father for my sexual orientation. I simply love girls because of other reasons I can't explain.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm inclined to say no...(my parents split when I was 8)

I cannot deny that it almost certainly has an effect on the things I look for in a person...I mean I do recognize that I want to feel protected and safe with a guy, and I want him to be good with kids because neither my dad nor my step-dad managed that growing up.

I know if I dated a girl I would want someone stable, non-religious and deep thinking because my mother can't manage those things...

But I don't think the fact that I lived with only one parent for 8 years then the other for the next 8 then back again did anything to my orientation.

7. Simple Thoughts

Take your situation reverse it and you've got mine...

I tend to be a bit feminine myself.

I don't think it has too too much bearings on it personally.

8. Nicholas1991

Yeah, orientation i don't think it makes a difference, Id still be gay regardless. Personality though, i think its made a pretty big difference for me.

9. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think so, id say its more of a coincidence. I was raised by a single mom and in a family of mostly women but im not very feminine and im ftm so i don't think how your raised has anything to do with it, although i would be wondering the same if i had been raised by my dad in a mostly male family so i can see why your questioning it.

10. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have often wondered that myself. My parents split when I was very young, and my dad raised me and my brother pretty much by himself. I still saw my mom every other weekend and am closer to her now than I was as a child.

It's quite bizarre actually, as here I am now, a single parent my self with two boys. During my upbringing, my dad did everything for us including all the cooking and cleaning and sorting things out, all whilst having a full time job and he had MS (my dad really is my hero). He even looks after my boys now and again.

Anyway, when I'm attracted to people I look for different characteristics in girls and guys. In guys, i tend to like guys who are a bit bigger than me, and have that confidence about them. The kind of person who I think would take care of me. I think some of that comes from growing up with such a wonderful and caring man as my father and is why I am attracted to guys as well as girls.

Happy days :slight_smile:

11. Paisley

My parent's have always been together, so I'm inclined to say no. But who know's maybe I'm an outlier.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    One guy keeps saying that on youtube to justify why there are more people coming out of the closet but I don't think it has anything to do with being lgbt but I have heard this agrument before and it's used to explain why kids become gay .

13. Kamina

My brother and I were raised by both parents in the same household.

My brother is a year younger and a very femme straight guy (or bi leaning to girls but he said he wasn't sure). He likes to cook, advises girls on their prom dresses, gives dating advice to his friends whom are girls, enjoys chick flicks, and cries at movies. Most people assume him to be gay when they first meet him.

Then there's me; I am gay and probably soft butch (I've never given it much thought). I hate cooking, love action/horror movies, feel awkward as hell in dresses, wear little to no makeup on a day to day basis, and was informed awhile ago that I "act like a guy" when my friends start crying.

I can't imagine that whom you were raised with affects this kind of thing. Maybe how liberal your household is..? My parents never cared much about "boy activities" and "girl activities" if my brother or I wanted to do something they would do the best they could to make it happen. We were never forced into traditional gender roles, even if the general construct was still there. It was just a lot looser in my house.

So I don't know. One of my guy friends was raised by his mum and is SO STRAIGHT. Like I hear waayy to much about his love life. Does anyone really know why people are gay?